Saw my 60 yo Doctor...she is on HRT and an AD. When did you all make that decision????

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have such mixed emotions about my appointment. I have some comfort after talking with her; a very strong woman with a thriving practice.  My doctor is 60 years old and was very open and honest with me about her Peri and current Meno experience; for that, I am so very thankful. 

She humbly said she could not continue her practice had she not got on the HRT and then an AD. Like me, her Mom had a breeze of Meno.  She said she started the HRT 10 years ago at 50 and then introduced Prozac. 

Of course after spending almost an hour with her, there was a comfort knowing my struggle is a very REAL thing and that I am not alone. But at the same time, it was the realization, once again, that this could be my new normal and I may have to try HRT or AD or both. 

It's a roller coaster!!!!! I have a few good days and then I think - maybe I can make it without introducing something? Maybe the worst is over???? Maybe I can tough this out? Then a stupid new symptom will show up - like heartburn/relfux. Then that will go away and then I will have a back ache for a few days. Then that goes away and then my left foot will tingle for 3 days. Then that goes away ETC ETC ETC. Then my mood will be good for 2 days and then a really sad day. I didn't have ANY Of this until age 49 when my periods started getting crazy and my progesterone dropped. 

Did some of you reach a breaking point? Did you say - I will give myself x amount of time and if this isn't any better I am willing to try something??? 2 months? 3 months? It is SO hard to know what to do. 

3 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi finny I went through hell for 9 weeks tried hrt it made me feel worse. the minute I stopped hrt and stopped worrying about every symptom I had the anxiety left me as soon as I accepted the changes I rarely notice the symptoms anymore, most may not agree with me but the more I wallowed in it and went on and on about all the different symptoms of peri the worse I felt. trust me just get on with it peri or meno is not going anywhere we may as well all just get on with life. you will feel better once you change the focus hearing about all the horror stories just makes you feel ten times worse take each day as it comes otherwise life just stops. hope this helps xx
    • Posted

Nicola - I love hearing your success story! It is inspiring. I was watching a few videos online from a major university lecturer last night. She was saying that "they" (the ones who study this peri/meno stuff) believe a lot of what stirs up the anxiety in women (in addition to the hormones plummeting) during the Peri is these sudden NEW physical experiences they've never had before - physical symptoms that present at inopportune times and send us into a panic. You mentioned 9 weeks - I am at 11 weeks. I am so much better than I was those first 4 weeks. I'm not "myself" but better. I have said before that as hard as the physical can be - it's the sadness and worry that show up that are HARD to "walk off". I am so happy for you that you are doing so much better! You inspire me! I am trying/learning to do just as you have suggested - take one day at a time. 

• Posted

Hi finny

Don't get me wrong I still feel awful at times but when I first crashed I was so scared my thyroid levels dropped as well so it was a double whammy. I guess I chose to shrug it off but it was great when j knew what was wrong I realised I been having these symptoms for years but just not the anxiety that's what through me and the problems breathing which now I know was anxiety. I know ppl are different and we all suffer different but as a therapist who works with anxiety as well I know that the more you worry and think the worse the worse you feel so I just try to remain positive it is hard I struggle with the realisation I was getting old. I just missed two months for the past two weeks j have been bloated and feel frumpy and not nice so I just thought ok I'm feeling fat and miserable and down in the dumps but it's peri and it won't last now I've come on dreadful 3 days loss I feel great so for me having a period monthly suits me as I feel ok it's missing them that sends me off key you stay positive do lots for yourself and think of it as riding the storm when hat anxiety hits as it will pass j just need to breathe it out j til yur brain recognises there is nothing to fear as fear feeds anxiety so anxiety is not being fed you won't feel anxious xxx

• Posted

You are right. I had to stop and do some breathing exercises. It's hard not to wallow because even though my life is good. My brain keeps telling me it's not. It's a true battle.

• Posted

Good morning Ginny and all you wonderful ladies following and supporting one another. 

I am 65 and on Livial / tibolone 2.5mg since the age of 50 ! This is the best thing I ever did! I too suffered all the symptoms you all describe. 

My adage in life is why do it it hard if there is a solution that works. Please ladies let’s not be Martyrs to the cause. We need to live our lives be healthy and most importantly happy. All the doctors I have seen here in Australia state that the jury is out on the ill effects if hormone replacement hyped about a few years ago. 

You have a good doctor so follow her advice and get your life back , you deserve . Please do not suffer. Jenny 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.