Saw Palmetto

Posted , 15 users are following.

Has anyone had any luck with the palmetto ?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

If you had, you would not be asking. Save your hard earned money.
  • Posted

Does nothing for me. I use pumpkin seed oil, pygeum, and stinging nettle 3x per day. Helps a little, but no panacea.
  • Posted

Hey Lew, I have used palmetto for three years and don;t notice any change. It;s cheap and is suppose to work but if so ,very slow as with all prostate meds. My doctor non comital, 
  • Posted

I took it for about nine years in tincture form from 1995 to 2004. During that time my prostate grew from 35 to 75grms but my symptoms of urgency and flow rate did not seem to get any worse. It evidently did not stop retention from worsening as  prior to my GL PVP in 2004 it was over 300mls.

Doctors in Germany evidently prescribe it for patients.

• Posted

No, and I made an alcohol extract from the berries -- no luck.
  • Posted

Hi, it really depends on your particular health issue, in my case no supplements helped and even drugs with all their nasty side affects only helped a little as my prostate issue was a large median lobe along with sleepy bladder (a result of my urine flow being restricted for years), so I chose FLA with a very good doctor in Houston Texas, Dr Karamanian,  which in my case was brilliant and easy and all i need to do now is retrain my bladder but do your homework well, and well before deciding on which surgery if any.
  • Posted

Works only for the charlatans that sell it to deparate sufferers of BPH.
    • Posted

It was first used by native Americans for urinary  problems.
  • Posted

Save your money for the TURP or HOLEP
  • Posted

Saw Palmetto worked for me for 6 years by slowing cell growth before prostate size proved to serious to ignore with increasing number of symptoms and a HoLEP procedure resolved those symptoms overnight.  Standardised extract capsules were most effective for me.
  • Posted

It did/does nothing for me. I think it is only beneficial, perhaps, if you start taking it at an early age when you are perfectly healthy.
  • Posted

I took it for quite a dew years. I don't know if it worked or not. Maybe it slowed the  progression of my BPH. Maybe it didn't

• Posted

I had started getting a ringing noise in my ears around the same time that I started taking various natural herbs and supplements including saw palmetto in an effort to help me pee so I put words into googles mouth by typing in words similar to "saw palmetto causes hearing damage" and up came on screen an article claiming 100% men taking saw palmetto will have hearing loss" or words similar to that.

So I gave them up as useless in my case since they had no helpful effect for me but they seem to work for other,s at the end of the day the best thing to do is pin point the exact cause for your health problems, do heaps of careful research and be careful to chose the safest option.

• Posted

I've not heard the deafness scare story before and millions take saw palmetto and other herbal remedies.

• Posted

Millions take herbal products of a totally unregulated industry making billions of dollars. It is unregulated because these products can do no harm. For the most part they do no good either, but those that take them for years believe they work while their symptoms remain the same.
    • Posted

In the UK herbal products are regulated.

From the early 1970s a herbal medicine making a medicinal claim on the label required a Product Licence. Acceptable products already on the market were granted Product Licences of Right (PLRs) with minimum formality at the time, but thereby became subject to general regulatory requirements for medicines including, for example, the premises in which they could be manufactured. The European Community Review of Medicines during the 1980s required such products to be reviewed for quality, safety and efficacy by 1990. Those that satisfied the requirements were granted a Product Licence (i.e. a full Marketing Authorisation) and can be identified by a “PL” number on the product pack. For the majority, the available evidence of efficacy was based more on human experience than formal clinical studies and therefore indications had to commence with the words “A traditional herbal remedy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.