Say something nice about yourself or talk about something you enjoy!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I'm Courtney, I've been suffering with social anxiety disorder since I was 11 years old.

I believe that an important part of acceptance and recovery from any mentall illness is to find and talk about things you love, and people you love, so I've started this discussion to try and boost everyone's mood today!

The point of this is to mention something you do to relax, stay calm, and enjoy your life while dealing with side-effects of your mental health problems.

For example, I enjoy playing video games to take me to a different world, and they let me experience places that are impossible in real life - whether it's a floating city 20,000 feet in the sky, a world where I am a heroic wolf ridding the world of evil with my paintbrush, or exploring the ruins of an ancient civilisation. Gaming is something that makes me feel like everything isn't so bad after all! lol

I honestly hope some of the people that see this will respond, we all deserve to have things that make us happy when nothing else can, and it's so important to acknowledge them.

With much love, Courtney. xo

p.s. Games referenced here are Bioshock Infinite, Okami, and Journey. They are HIGHLY recommended by me smile

p.p.s. I hope these types of posts are welcome on the forum! 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Courtney

Thank you for your lovely post.  I am bipolar with anxiety plus allergies and have been addicted to co-codamol, which I've been free of since November last year.

Anyhow, to your post, I love watching movies on my 27" Thunderbolt display (connected to a mac mini with optical braodband (fast)).  I either download them from iTunes or buy dvds, many from our local charity shop which is ace.  I especially love sci fi, like Blade Runner, Star Trek, Prometheus, you get the picture, but also some more esoteric films like the Spanish Central Station and the Japanese Letters from Iwo Jima.  While I'm watching I sip tonic water flavoured with elderflower cordial (I'm seriously trying to cut down on my alchohol intake).  I also love reading whilst listening to music, I read factual books, biographies, history books, music books.  I love classical music which can be so calming, but I also love rock and pop from the 70s and 80s - that dates me.  

I want to thank you for your post, it really lifted my spirits  biggrin

Lizzie

• Posted

Thank you for the reply, Lizzie! 

You sound like a very interesting person, I also enjoy watching movies when I'm in need of a lift, my personal favourite is actually a Japanese children's animated film by a company called Studio Ghilbi, the movie is called Whisper Of The Heart, although I don't think it sounds quite to your taste the movies by this particular studio are some of the best to relax with in my opinion! Movies can be a nice outlet for emotions smile

Good luck with your problems, I'm glad this post could at least reach someone and brighten their day smile 

Best wishes! -C xo

• Posted

Hi Courtney

You sound interesting too, thats the great thing about these forums, one meets people from such different and interesting back grounds.  There is a big age gap between us but I felt a connection when I read your post as you seem to be trying to be positive about your illness in the same way that I am.  

I've been through the mill over the years, I'm 57 I think (my thinking gets a bit confused at times), there abouts, and I've lived with bipolar disorder and anxiety since 1984 when I was being badly bullied at work, only getting a diagnosis in 1998.  I was hospitalised with deep depression and mania in 1999 for five weeks but while there met my new psychiatrist who worked with me over the next few years until he found a combination of meds that worked for me.  My bipolar is now totally under control but I still get bouts of anxiety and have found this forum invaluable.  My anxiety is of the GAD (generalised anxiety disorder) type and I take diazepam for it, which I'm pleased to say I haven't developed tollerance to.  

I sympathise with you having social anxiety, it must be so menatlly painful for you but you seem to have found a way of fulfilling yourself through your gaming.  Incidentally, I'm not a gamer myself but I believe the music used in the games is excellent as Classic FM sometimes play it.

There are more details about me on my about me part of my home page on this forum, just click on my name.

I wish you all the best and am really glad to have made contact with you

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

I definitely try to keep a level head, after all - life would be boring if all I did was mope. Sorry to hear about your various problems, it's always difficult to hear when someone has been struggling but it's nice to know you have found a way to help yourself! We all have good and bad days but it's important to focus on the good days, then the bad ones don't seem so big at all.

If you're interested I have a music recommendation for you, from one of the games I mentioned in the original post, here is the link 

This game received a lot of praise for it's music! I think you might appreciate it. 

here is another by the same game company

Hope you enjoy, I could give many more recommendations but I wont bore you with them! smile

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the links as it was to a site unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

oops, links have been removed, but do look up the Journey Original Soundtrack and Flower Original Soundtrack! They are both very calm smile
    • Posted

Hi Mogie

I have just downloaded from iTunes both the albums you recomended and am at this very moment listening to Flower, its is just so serene, perfect for falling asleep to or listening to late at night if I can't sleep.  Thank you so much for recomending them to me.

LIzzie xxx

• Posted

I'm so glad you like it, video games have some of the best music in my opinion as it's always specially designed to provoke emotional response smile

I think Journey is a bit more dark than Flower, but it should still be good for casual listening smile

• Posted

Do you play online or is it downloadabale?  I'm a total idiot when it comes to computer games tee hee cheesygrin

LIzzie

• Posted

I think both Flower and Journey are only available on the Playstation 3, which is a shame if you ask me, Journey is such a nice little game and only takes a couple of hours to complete, but gives a lasting peacefulness. smile
    • Posted

I'm now listening to Journey and I love that just as much, I really thank you for opening up this window for me.  Like many older people I had negative pre-conceived ideas about computer games, but listening to the music, talking to you and looking both games up on Wikipedeaia you have totally altered my attitudes for the better.  I am so glad you posted your original post this morning, you have mede me both very happy and broadened my vision.  You deserve much credit for that.

I hope you are feeling good tonight too

Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

I'm so glad!

I understand many concerns that the older generation may have about video games, it's no secret that some of them can be overly violent and offensive, and these are the games I do not often associate myself with unless they provide a good narrative (the Bioshock series is a fantastic example of violent games that can offer a deep and emotional experience) But overall, games are an art form, most people have no idea how much skill and love is put into making video games, the right video game can bring out passion in young people, I'm a prime example of that! It's my dream to one day open a youth center for teenagers with mental health problems and offer them the chance to be cooperative with each other and play video games!

As you can probably tell I'm very interested in games on the whole and what people can do with them, so I'm really happy to hear that I've changed your ideas on them!

I'm glad to have given you some happiness today, it's nice to have someone to talk to and influence :D

• Posted

I'm sure you'll make a brilliant role model for other young people, I love your idea of opening a youth centre for young people with mental health problems where you play video games, it sounds like its really helped you and how good would it be if you could pass that on to others.  I know a teenage girl who is struggling with OCD and I've given her the link to this forum, but I don't think she is confident enough to talk to me about it yet.  I hope she comes on here where she can meet young people like you rather than oldsters like me, you'd be much more help.

Love

Lizzie xxx

• Posted

I hope this girl does open up to someone if she needs help, it's much easier to be open and fearless when dealing with mental health, even if she starts off talking to people anonymously.

I've always wanted to help people like me, so I hope I can in the future cheesygrin

There are so many opportunities for young people to better themselves with things like games, music, movies. Creativity is invaluable. 

-Mogie xo

• Posted

Hi C

Just thought you'd like to know I've been listening to those two soundtracks incesantly for days.  I think you said in one of your posts that the games, and presumably the music too, are intended to elicit an emotional response, well that's exactly what has happened to me.  I'm finding that they are simulating the the feeling I had when I was first "in love" as a teenager, its lovely and very positive.  

Thansk again and I hope this finds you feeling anxiety free and happy.

Lizzie

• Posted

That's lovely to hear, I'm really glad you're enjoying them smile 

best wishes xo 

-C

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.