scabies - or eczema

Posted , 4 users are following.

In march this year when I was in hospital, I got itchy rash between my legs and spread all over my body. The itching was horrendous - like something out of this world. I did a Google search and diagnosed myself with severe scabies infestation. I had near boiling showers three to four times a day with strong shampoo drenched my entire body with methylated spirits. My scabies got worse and another google search informed me that I was being attacked and bitten by evil spirits!

Finally desperation drove me to see my poor doctor who admitted she had never seen anything like it and sent me to a dermatologist. My poor dermatologist had never seen anything like it either. He examined me all over with a powerful magnifying glass and performed a swab test. I tested negative for scabies or anything horrible. The diagnosis was ECZEMA. He said my four showers a day and methylated spirits treatment were making it worse. He ordered me to have a MAXIMUM of ONLY ONE shower a day and I had to have tricortone ointment rubbed into my entire body twice a day.

Moral is - do not consult Dr Google. Go to a proper doctor and get the proper tests done. If you go treating eczema with scabies treatment, you will only get worse and worse

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Edited

I totally agree, do not diagnose yourself and don't do any weird treatments without a doctor.  Some of the stuff I read to do is crazy, it can kill you or damage your skin.  But the sad part is that not all doctors / dermatologists are qualified to recognize these symptoms of scabies and will not treat.    They say it's not common to get and will say it doesn't look like scabies.  For instance, my cousin was misdiagnosed by 3 doctors, one was a dermatologist.  Every skin biopsy came back negative.  She was told it was eczema by one doctor and a drug reaction by the other 2 doctors.  Crazy part is that she was not on any meds, just advil.   They kept telling her that it doesn't look like scabies at all, however the pictures I was sent by my cousin looked exactly like scabies.  She was not going to live like this, she knew better.  2 months was too long and it was spreading like crazy.  She finally found the right dermatologist and she said it looked exactly like scabies after examining her.  They did a skin scraping and examined it under the microscope right on the spot (all others didn't) and possibly a mite leg was found.  She treated her immediately with permethrin and a steroid cream.  It was a 2 week treatment plan.  It went away immediately, felt instant relief after first treatment in like 2 days, thank god.  My cousin traveled and stayed at 2 rental properties 4 weeks prior to her rash.  All led to believe she picked it up along the way.  But the other doctors were in denial.  Had I not googled this for her and encouraged her to keep looking for a better qualified doctor, she would still be struggling today with this.  I'm not a doctor and from day one, I diagnosed her with scabies.  I knew it because of her travel plans.  People need to keep looking if they are not satisfied with their diagnose and don't be afraid to ask for scabies treatment.  It won't hurt.  You have to tell the doctors now days what you want.  Glad you posted this out there!
    • Posted

Hi MarieHorn, Can you help to have a look on my post? Thanks
    • Posted

What post do you want me to look at?  I don't see anything.
    • Posted

Thanks for posting.

I have had similar experience too. I had severe itching one weekend and wanted to book an appointment to see the doctor. I waited and waited and finally got through. The doctor gave a call back and I was desperate to go and see her. I have had allergic reactions to gloves before. The lady doctor texted me and asked me to take photo of my skin allergy and I sent it to her. I was not happy and was wanting to be seen rather than sending a photo shot of my skin allergy. She called me back and she sounded hasty and said you have scabies. You have to be treated straight away and you cannot come in to the surgery as it is contagious she said. She also sent me the link to read about scabies. I am generally very fussy with cleanliness and mostly keep the bedding, clothes and myself clean and wash them thoroughly in super hot water . I also keep the surrounding clean all the time. I do not go and stay at peoples house or in close contact with anyone as I am single. When I read the link that she sent it did not match to the symptoms that I had. I had itching only on my right hand near the wrist not anywhere else. I told her that I had mild eczema several years ago. I requested for blood test and she refused and told me scabies cannot be ruled out by blood test. I tried to call the doctor to speak to her again but the receptionist said she is very busy and refused .

I am very disappointed and it is so hard to find a doctor who can really listen to you and do the right diagnosis in person and meet them to diagnose and not over the phone.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.