Scan Anxiety - wonky periods, ultrasound fear

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi - I am 45 and in January of this year I had a period that spotted at the end for over a week, hormone testing showed menopause, blood test six weeks later showed normal FSH levels.  So deduced the spotting was perimenopause.  I have had regular periods all year but they are different, sometimes heavy, sometimes spotting a lot before or after.  They just don't 'flow' the same. Cycle lengths also vary, from my previous normal of 25/26 to 21, 37, 24, 25 and a couple that were only 17/18 days apart. 

After the last short gap and a heavier flow, I got a bit worried and went to the GP to tell her, she said it is typical of perimenopause to see this pattern but also useful to check there aren't any structural reasons for irregular bleeding and to have a transvaginal ultrasound. I have this coming up this week.

I was fine about it until today and now I am a nervous wreck, worried out of my mind what they will find and just feel so vulnerable about the scan itself.

I am no good at gynae things, I have not had children and the whole thing brings up feelings of naievity and a sense 'there is something wrong with me'.  I know this is irrational because at the end of the day the Dr is just checking that perimenopause hormonal stuff is the cause and I should be relieved if it is and that will help but...........I can't stop worrying.

I have only had a transvaginal exam once, about 15 years ago, it wasn't pleasant, only because I was scared when the personal scanning told me she couldn't find an ovary, then she did, that they were healthy but I had a mass on my uterus which was a fibroid.  At the time I didn't know what that was all about and she wouldn't tell me - the DR then explained a week later that it was on the outside and nothing to worry about.  I have also had two burst ovarian cysts in my life and a cervical polyp which was removed a couple of years ago.

Basically anything unknown scares me and language and procedures that I feel I should understand, but I don't.  I have been reading about the higher chance of uterine cancer, ovarian cancer etc after mid 40's and scared myself wondering if the bleeding can be any of these and imagining that the scan will reveal 'bad' news and what will come next.  Basically I feel out of control with all the unknowns and am sure I am over anxious as the majority of scans don't reveal serious things.

The Dr mentioned the possibility of uterine polyps or fibroids, the first might need removing and the second they would leave as they tend to shrink after menopause.

Seriously, I need some logical thoughts to hold onto here, I am just terrified of bad news and the person saying or looking a certain way during the scan and either saying something or me thinking the worst etc.

I have had several traumatic events in my life where I thought all was well and it turned out not to be - not with me, but my family and realise that this has left a mark on me, thinking that this is generally what happens.  Bad news comes out of the blue when you think all is well and 'normal'.

Honestly the thought of the whole thing feels so alien to me, I am ready to avoid doing it - which I won't.  Can someone share with me how routine this is and perhaps if my bleeding pattern is anything to worry about because I really didn't think it was. It is still sort of cyclical but definately different.

Feeling so scared and also stupid.  How can I be a grown woman with these irrational fears sad

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi . I had to write to reassure you as I'm going through the exact same thing.

I was 47 this week and been having a couple of heavy periods with giant blood clots. The result of this was anaemia.

I was sent for a scan which showed thickening of the endometrium. The doc said I need a biopsy ( hysterocopy ) which I'm having done next week on December 21st.

Doc said they have to rule out endometrial cancer. Assuming it isn't ( fingers crossed ) I will be fitted with a Merina Coil.

ķ

I say this very matter of factly but believe me when she said the c word I went into total meltdown.

I like you have done lots of research ( and frightened myself to death) and now I've stopped.

I've resigned myself to the fact that

A. It's unlikely

B. In the unlikely event it's better to be found early.

There are lots of us out there in this position so it must be very common.

So please be reassured that you will be absolutely fine. I'm sure of it.

Take care and let us know how you get on. X❤

• Posted

Thank you, I have updated below.  I am not sure about my lining as she couldn't see it sad  This stuff is really challenging isn't it. Your attitude is right, I try to keep this in mind, but fear is powerful.  We cannot know anything until we know, but the steps are hard.
  • Posted

Hi Hun sorry to jump on your post but for the past few months a week before my period I have been bleeding light red blood stomach feels achy but not period pain type I had a swab taken and blood all okay. The bleeding started again today the same as last month and six to seven days later period starts properly. I'm a 40 year old with twins aged 17 so any ideads anyone x
    • Posted

I think that might count as bleeding between periods?  If it isn't part of your period and happens at a different time.  I think it would be sensible to let your GP know and see what they say.
    • Posted

Yes, get it checked out but I think they will probably tell you it is just your levels of progesterone dropping, spotting before a period in early perimenopuase is usual.
  • Posted

Update:  I had the ultrasound today and it was completely painless and the lady was very nice.  But I am in a bit of shock as she found multiple fibroids.  She can't confirm if this is what is causing me erratic cycles and will advise my GP to refer me to a gynaecologist who might want to do an MRI scan to map the fibroids and see better where they all are and whether they are in the lining etc which may account for uterus not being able to properly regulate the flow during my period (I think that's what she meant).

I wasn't expecting this news and feel a bit scared to be honest - I know they are common and benign but can't get it out of my head that she couldn't really see my ovaries or lining to check those. So in some ways I am no further forward but with an extra piece to the puzzle.

I completely hate the idea that my uterus is full of growths!!  Not just one, many.........I had one diagnosed 15 years ago on the outside of my uterus, I have had no children, so I guess a hormone imbalance has been ongoing or maybe just recently with perimenopause.  Either way it might make sense of occassional back/hip pain, bladder fullness and just a sense things are not right with my periods. 

A little confused and scared but really I think it's a good thing, just wish I could see a consultant tomorrow and now the options - there are many treatments listed on the NHS website but I don't know how big they are or whether it's ok to leave them..................feeling emotional.  At least the exam itself was fine and the lady couldn't have been nicer.

• Posted

Hi beetle thanks for letting us know, mmm hard to say whats the best option, best left to the experts now i think Usually Fibroids cause very heavy periods, but this wasnt your case was it. Probably as you have a few they are pressing on your bladder. Good news though as benign and could shrink on their own after menapause apparantley. Glad it wasnt painful, i told you it would be ok didn't i.

Sue 

• Posted

You were totally right - there really wasn't a problem with the examination, I struck lucky with a lovely sonographer too.  

I am hoping they will say I can leave them to shrink - but she mentioned something about not being able to see if one was attached to the lining (?) which somehow might be relevant to the erractic flow I have had - she said something about the uterus not contracting properly and clearing out as it were, hence the spotting at end of my periods, the stop start flow - but to be honest I was a bit overwhelmed with info.

I just wish she could have seen them all clearly and not have to wait again to see someone else - I am totally rubbish at this investigative process and like facts to ease my worry.

I am hoping more don't grow, it sounded like and from her description that they were everywhere - I am making this up, but my first thought was panic that they would want to give me a hysterectomy.  I really hope that proposition doesn't come up.

• Posted

I think you are past the worst now, you have a diagnosis, fibroids, which pretty well every woman has to some degree, at least now when another woman comes on this site scared about a TVUS you, too, can reassure her they are a breeze!
    • Posted

So glad it was a painless procedure. Hoping that all will be well and they will shrink on their own.
    • Posted

It was a good experience to have the scan and not find it an issue - I know fibroids are common, I just need a bit of time to get over the shock that there were so many she couldn't count them or see my ovaries and to hear the advise on what to do or not to do
    • Posted

Thank you - me too, I hope it will be ok to watch and wait and they shrink!
    • Posted

I know I had a 3inch Fibroid on the outer top of my uterus about 20 yrs or so ago, god knows whats there now, don't be too concerned as they are very common and I believe they shrink up during/after menopause.

wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.