Scar looks like a shark bite

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi I had my hip replacement 4 weeks ago and am recovering well but as my sister-in-law pointed out my scar looks like I have been bitten by a shark I know it's not going to get smaller but what if ant are you using treat your scars

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear Ann

My surgery was about nine weeks ago and my scar is about eight inches long and is starting to blend in well at one end. Mine was a revision of a twenty year old hip so this may have made mine more obvious. It does not really bother me. It's a war wound!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Oh I know have more than one scar just wondering if something would help especially as one does have to wear clothes that rub on it.
    • Posted

Oh sorry Ann I should have said that I've not done anything to try to reduce it as it all looked to be healing fine. I image it is more of a consideration for the ladies here.

All the best with your recovery.

Richard

• Posted

Not so much the look no-one is really going to see much just want to be comfortable
    • Posted

Mine has never felt uncomfortable so I'm not doing anything with it..

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Scars do take a year to fade although mine was sooner, I can recommend Calendula cream, great healer for scars. You can buy it in boots or health food shop. It is also known as marigold cream.  My scar was around 10 inches and spread at the end but you cannot see it now. 
  • Posted

Hi Ann

My scar is about 10" with a slight curve. I was lucky as I had strips and not staples. I used bio oil and rubbed across the scar as some parts felt hard and numb. My scar is softer and now 7 months on I only have a pale pink scar. My daughter had knee surgery a few years ago after an accident and now you can hardly see the incision marks she was really self conscious as she is 21 now and wears short dresses etc but all is good but it takes time.

Julie

• Posted

Thank you it's hard getting the right clothing so as to not irritate whilst it's healing. Still think will go with scar attack if and when I ever get to wear swim suit would make an interesting storey rather than hip operation lol

• Posted

Hi Ann

the shark bite sounds like a good story to tell.  I'm 4 weeks post operation and have justed started a Dermalux treatment at a local clinic to help speed up the healing and minimise the scar.  It's a course of 10 treatments and I'm on my fourth one,  it's difficult to know if the result would be different without treatment but the bumpiness has gone down and now just have a pink line where the incision was.  I had the anterior approach surgery and only have a 10 cm scar at the front and most of it is covered by underwear/bikini.  The clinic also gave me some cream called post procedure fast skin repair by mesoestetic.  It's not cheap at £45 per 50 ml but this seems to have also helped and you don't need much.  My consultant suggested bio oil and my physio aqueous cream but I haven't tried those.  I was also told to keep it out of the sun/cover with sun block for the first 12 months.

hope this helps.

Sara x

• Posted

Morning Ann! I used silicone sheets on my scar. They helped in flattening them and making them softer. Also massage the scar too is important to help with scar tissue. And for sensitivity my therapist recommended desensitizing by rubbing scar with cotton ball to start 2/3 times a day until I got used to it then go on to some thing rougher doing same thing until it's gone. Worked really well!! God's blessings to you for a speedy recovery and healing. Hugs 🤗. Linda

• Posted

10" posterior scar. Used nothing and proud of all my scars. Each one tells a story

• Posted

hi ann the one thing that made my scar look better was E45 lotion it worked for me
  • Posted

Try Mederma, any pharmacy has it. Also pharmaceutical grade vitamin E oil. To prevent the puckered look of the scar massage gently with palm of your hand. Do not dig in with fingers or "deep tissue" massage, that will imcrease pain. I had THR only 3 months ago and these remedies are working a miracle. My surgeon says he's never seen a scar look so good in so short a time. You can use these methods as long as desired but Mederma s/b continued 6months or more. Good luck!

• Posted

Does fade with time, you can hardly see mine 2 years on now.

Love the shark bite, great excuse for the curious if they have the cheek to ask, and self explanatory.

Other than that, bionic woman as my husband refers to me as.

Just be thankful that you are so much better than you were, thanks to the surgery.

I have memories of a great aunt who was completly crippled with arthiritis and was never able to have surgery, so much for heart condition, she lived to 96.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.