Scar problem

Posted , 7 users are following.

anyone had problems with their scar not healing.

had plates and pins inserted on 16th November. All but two parts on the scar healed. Been today for change of dressing. Scar is still infected, really thought after taking a weeks antibiotics things would have improved. But no actually looks worse and more pus than has been. Absolutely gutted

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gill,

So sorry to hear that, mine had similar problem but was not infected, my test came back negative, but the wound wouldn't heal on time on one part of my ankle, I had antibiotics but noticed that once I cover it with dressing, it opens more as my boot was robbing on it, so what I did was take off the boot each time I sit, elevate my ankle n remove dressing to air the surface, then, I tie the surface when bathing so water doesn't go there, that worked for me, but since you said its infected, I would advice you see your doctor again as this has tendency of causing more harm.

• Posted

Two swabs taken and no growth. Seeing nurse at surgery again for dressing changes on Thursday, if no improvement she said would call doctor to look.
  • Posted

After TAR 2nd Nov I had several dressing changes and after about 8 weeks I developed Stitch Abcesses which aren't actually infected but look like they are. It's your body's reaction to the suture material so the exudate looks like pus coming from boils 😖 I was given antibiotics because if something is coming out then something can get in. 13 weeks post op today and all healed up now. Could this be what is happening to you or have they taken swab to check for infection?

wishing you well in your recovery 😊

• Posted

had two swabs done over last couple of weeks and no growth shown. Back for dressing change Thursday. If no improvement nurse said she call doctor in to take a look.
    • Posted

Was your incision closed with a continuous dissolvable suture like mine ? If so you probably have the Stich Abcesses . I was told to let the air to it, so no dressing and no boot so it could dry out. Took another 3 weeks or so to completely heal. Good luck 
    • Posted

Incision was closed with staples. Had to go for dressing changes, up to two weeks ago. Told to wait till all of the scar turned pink before bathing. This I did and took first full soak in bath. Heaven. It was came out of bath noticed the two parts of scar had turned yellowish. Went straight to a&e who covered, gave me antibiotics and told to see nurse today at our surgery for dressing changed. Really was in shock as expected all to be in the clearrolleyes
    • Posted

If your staples were dissolvable this could still be the case. As the swabs were negative I don't think you should worry too much. If the staples were removed in clinic then there is a possible risk of infection 
  • Posted

Staples were metal type and removed after three weeks of operation at clinic.
  • Posted

I had my staples removed and then a fibreglass removable cast fitted for outdoor use. I went to orthopaedic clinc twice after the removal of staple stitches. It was the physio lady who said that I had two stitches left in.

I had these removed by the nurse as physio said she wasn't authorised to do so. I have red spots on my leg that appeared when my fixed cast was cut off. I was told that it was a sweat rash reaction from the fixed cast. I have been to my gp, he prescribed an anti bac cream, that didn't work, another GP prescribed oral antibiotics, they didn't work either other than make me feel sick and drowsy. I still have the red spots and cannot afford anymore prescriptions at over £8 a throw when I have been on s.s.p for 3 months

• Posted

I just hoping mine is a slight set back. Already had nearly three months off  work. Don't think get back to work before ssp runs out.

fingers crossed everyone on here has a speedy recovery 

• Posted

I think that as you say, it's a minor set back you are experiencing.

i had 3 1/2 month off work, borred and skint.

I asked my gp to let me go back to work on light duties and reduced hours.

Ive been back 3 weeks now and doing 40 plus hours a week, but at least I'm keeping occupied and will get a full months wage at the end of this month... 

You will get there, I thought I would never walk again.

Take care

Once the swelling sorts itself out, then walking, squatting, bathing etc will be tons better.

• Posted

Thanks for encouraging words. 

Pleased to hear your back at work. 

• Posted

Broke all 3 bones in my ankle. It stayed infected for 65 days. Still have oozing from trouble holes. 4.5 months later and I'm still barely walking.

• Posted

Hi Gill,

I had a similar thing happen to me. I had a rather unsavoury infection picked up from hospital after surgery. It took three months or more to clear up then heal. I was on two types of antibiotics. I went bcack to the surgeon for a scheduled appointment and he was horrified that I had, had to deal with it. He had talked about going in again and taking the plate out as this is apparently the reason why it got infected. But thank God it eventually cleared up and I didn't have to go down that road.

• Posted

I had my cast removed last Tuesday and the consultant just looked at the 2 wounds where the screws and plate had been put in then covered them back with the same dressing.  I asked the nurse what to do to the wounds which had scabbed over but were damp and she said bathe the wound with just water and moisturise the leg.  The skin has flaked off and the wounds have dried up with no dressing on them.  I suppose letting the air get to the wounds has had a positive effect and now there is only one small scab to come off one side and several on the fibula side of the ankle.

So sorry you are have trouble with your wounds healing.

• Posted

Wound still not healed, about the size of little finger nail. Having to go twice a week to doctors surgery for dressing changes. Each time see a different nurse and they all seem to dress it differently. One will put antibiotic dressing the other will pack it with a seaweed dressing. Will be pleased when back at hospital to see the consultant next week
    • Posted

pleased to hear your wound has healed. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.