Scar tissue from Tkr

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post Tkr. Still haven't had a nights sleep. The pain now is coming from the SCAR area. I've started to massage it with Vaseline,I was told it would desensitise the scar area, but since then the scar seems red & feels hot. I ice regularly. Does anyone else have this problem. I live in U.K. & wondered if I should use anything different to help its recovery. ....Eileen

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Coconut oil soaks in better. Does get red n hotter. Will subside. Breaking the scar tissue now is super important and easier than later for sure.
  • Posted

hi Eileen. I'm 7 weeks today, I too have been really struggling with sleep.  However during the last week I have been able to sleep for longer periods, maybe try a pillow between your legs to raise it a little.  My scar is sensitive but not painful, I massage Alloa Vera lotion into my scar which sinks in very well and is not as sticky as Vaseline.

The pain and stiffness are still there but I must say this last week seems to be improving.  I have an old exercise bike and can just manage to get all the way round and this does help.  Don't do tooo much I've been told over and over a little and often.  Good luck.

• Posted

Ah thanks Chris I will try that. It seems to be going on & on ,but there must be light at he end of the tunnel 

• Posted

Vaseline is a chemical and bad for scars. Not sure why you are using a petrol based rub but vitamin E oil or lotion without parabens and organic if possible, works. Massage lightly, do not rub. Pool walking, stationery bike reverse pedalling all free the joint up. It'll improve but needs time and rest and exercise.

• Posted

thanks Lyn, gosh no wonder it' s felt worse since I put Vaseline on .... not any more, thanks for I fo

• Posted

What you describe sounds very familiar. The area around he wound often becomes red and warm to the touch after a tkr, especially after a work out. Most moisturisers, particularly those containing vitamin E, will aid in heaing. As for the sleeplesness-like so many others here will tell you, it's part and parcle with this procedure, although, at seven weeks post tkr, i am finally starting to string a few good hours together.

One of the ways I found to reduce knee pain was to place a heat pack beneath the knee and an ice pack on top-worked a treat-maybe you could try it-others here may have other sugestions. It's a tough proceedure eileen, one that requires time and a positive mental outlook. I wish you well in your recovery.

• Posted

wow, heat and ice, ? Gosh , I ice on & off  day & night  as my surgeon kept telling me plenty of ice ,plenty of ice. Ii even went as far as getting a mini freezer in the bedroom 

• Posted

Try vitamin E cream and Bio Freeze. We all have gone through that. I am almost 10 weeks post TKR and still use the cream. Wear loose fitting clothing. You are very early in the recovery process. Take care, take your meds and try to relax.

Best to you

Ellen

• Posted

Yep been 9 months for me lots of scar tissue for me never got full mobility maybe 80 degrees I just have to live with it!
    • Posted

Keith very worrying post. I struggled with it until I started out patient physio. 4 weeks ago I was at 84 and yesterday I made 114. My leg is completely straight.

You need 90 degrees to do the most basic things like sitting and walking. How are you coping?

Typically if you haven't reached 90 degrees by 8-12 weeks the OS either prescribe intensive pt or do the manipulation under anesthesia. You are going to have to seek medical intervention. For some people flexion do come slow but 9 months is a little worrying. I don't mean to worry you but I am concerned for you.

• Posted

Eileen my physical therapist recommended Vit E tablets. I cut the capsule open and put the oil on my leg and massage gently with two fingers in circular movements. I was told it is better to massage gently but do it for a good amount of time and more frequent. The Vit E is a little sticky. It also heals heal the appearance of the scar. Good luck.
  • Posted

I am 7 weeks post op and found that I am sleeping much better.  Massaging the knee really helps in breaking up scar tissue.  I use coconut oil and my scar looks great.

hope you start sleeping better.

• Posted

Everything sounds absolutely normal. Red, hot, sleep...yup.  The redness could be irritation from rubbing on clothes and sheets.  Use a loosely wrapped ACE bandage or a knee sleeve.   Hot and swollen means overworking the knee.  This could help on the sleep...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

• Posted

Thanks Chico , that sounds @ right, I am so desperate to exercise I may be over doing it. I'm  5 weeks post Tkr today do you think it's too early to be up & about much or should I be resting more .? Thanks for your help

• Posted

5 weeks is the time most people are still on drugs (30-60 days) and doing PT to get their ROM back (8-12 weeks, 2x/week starting at week 3 or 4).  Gotta ease into the post-PT exercise...it takes a long time to rebuild quads, glutes and core.  Walking is always good.  Use a FitBit or other pedometer...find your pain/swelling point in steps...back off...increase gradually. These may help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/zero-degrees--517809

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

• Posted

Many thanks again Chico, yes I am still on Naproxen & paracetamol.i  do the exercises 3 times a day but sometimes only twice . I'm not going back to physics therapist until 8th March as they expect you to do it at home. I will gradually do more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.