Scar tissue from Tkr

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am 5 weeks post Tkr. Still haven't had a nights sleep. The pain now is coming from the SCAR area. I've started to massage it with Vaseline,I was told it would desensitise the scar area, but since then the scar seems red & feels hot. I ice regularly. Does anyone else have this problem. I live in U.K. & wondered if I should use anything different to help its recovery. ....Eileen

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My Dr suggested this nd he warned me it would be hot and red

I'm at day 12 just starting the Vaseline treatment

• Posted

Hi Eileen

?I used "Aloe Vera Gel 99%" from my local health care shop. I went to my sports injury massge therapist who straight away as soon a my dressing was off and the wound/incison line was declared to be free of infection an healing 'nicely' went to work on INTENSIVE massage of the scarline it self and surrounding area . I had weekly visits and supplemented this myself with massage at home during the day for some 8 week. It is vital to prevent scar tissue forming otherwise it will seriousy hamper your ablity to perform exercises. This was never explained to me in hospital or by any PT - I stumbled across this by chance on a visit to my theapist for another non related  soft tissue problem I had around the shoulders.

John

• Posted

Thanks John, I've only just started massaging after 5 weeks, for the first 4 weeks scar was seeping & open. I had the dressing changed 3 times. Now 4 weeks I've started seriously massaging it's healed now & I don't want scar tissue, hope it's not too late

• Posted

I posted this on another thread...

----------------------------

You know that the INTERNAL scar tissue that forms as a result of a TKR must be broken down as quickly as possible via PT sessions.  These we all know to be brutally medieval in nature but have to be endured to achieve 0 / +120 ROM.

However, EXTERNAL scarring from the incision is another matter and probably more important to women than men (IMHO).  We grow hair over our scars so who really cares...we even expound tall tales about fantastical athletic achievements resulting is our "war wounds".  Rubbish all...

But those in search of a truly effective method to reduce a visible scar have very few sources of information.  A quick Google search will reveal hundreds of sites purporting to have the best therapy.  But look closely.  EVERY ONE of them is sponsored by a product that the manufacturer is pushing...even so-called "review sites" will show the "preferred product as the #1 in the world with no evidence behind the claim.  They even have some very scientific sounding website names.  THEY ARE ALL FAKE...trying to sell you THEIR product.

So where to look?  Find web sources from known scientific organizations, peer review journals and verified consumer product review sites.  You can tell by the web address (URL).  Something like "scar-creams-info" or "scar-cream-center" are self-serving fronts just trying to sell you something.  Look for articles by NIH, The Lancet, the AMA, or even reputable newspapers doing some investigative journalism.

The point is: Don't waste your money on products that may or may not work but are presented with a lot of false hype.  You may even decide to try one of your great-grandmother's home remedies.  Just don't fall for the immense amount of fake advertising out there trying to sell you some cream for $50/tube.  Be an informed consumer!!!

-----------------------------

As far as post-opioid pain relief in your knee, Voltaren Gel (RX USA) is the second best topical anti-inflammatory on the planet.  Works in 15 minutes.  Great at bedtime.  The #1 works in 5 minutes.  It's called "Lotion" and is available only in states like Colorado.

• Posted

You know that the INTERNAL scar tissue that forms as a result of a TKR must be broken down as quickly as possible via PT sessions.  These we all know to be brutally medieval in nature but have to be endured to achieve 0 / +120 ROM.

However, EXTERNAL scarring from the incision is another matter and probably more important to women than men (IMHO).  We grow hair over our scars so who really cares...we even expound tall tales about fantastical athletic achievements resulting is our "war wounds".  Rubbish all...

But those in search of a truly effective method to reduce a visible scar have very few sources of information.  A quick Google search will reveal hundreds of sites purporting to have the best therapy.  But look closely.  EVERY ONE of them is sponsored by a product that the manufacturer is pushing...even so-called "review sites" will show the "preferred product as the #1 in the world with no evidence behind the claim.  They even have some very scientific sounding website names.  THEY ARE ALL FAKE...trying to sell you THEIR product.

So where to look?  Find web sources from known scientific organizations, peer review journals and verified consumer product review sites.  You can tell by the web address (URL).  Something like "scar-creams-info" or "scar-cream-center" are self-serving fronts just trying to sell you something.  Look for articles by NIH, The Lancet, the AMA, or even reputable newspapers doing some investigative journalism.

The point is: Don't waste your money on products that may or may not work but are presented with a lot of false hype.  You may even decide to try one of your great-grandmother's home remedies.  Just don't fall for the immense amount of fake advertising out there trying to sell you some cream for $50/tube.  Be an informed consumer!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.