Scardie Cat

Posted , 13 users are following.

Happy Mid Summer,

Quick question.  I am lucky enough to be down to 1mg of pred. and I have rheumy apt coming up in two weeks.  I know he will want me off pred which is fine.  I am just afraid to come off as I feel absolutely fine (except I would like to chop my feet off at the ankles) and I am afraid I will have a flare when I stop.   

Anyone been in the same situation?  I did skip pred one day and then the next day did not feel 100% but perhaps it was psychosomatic.  

What do you think?  

thanks.

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi whitefishbay, I hope to get to that small a dose, when I do I will go from 1 mg to a .5 mg using DSNS. Good luck take your time, think positive and smile. ☺️
  • Posted

A friend of mine who also has pmr has been doing the dsns method to get to 1/2 many many times...she’s even tried 1/2 every other day but had to go back to 1.  Based on her experience and what I’ve read on this forum and your mentioning your feet, I’d say you at least need to think about slowly tapering to 1/2...others on here know a lot more than me though!
  • Posted

HI there, 

well March 15 th was my last day of taking my last 1 mil dose of pred after three years.

i went until June 15 th and believe me I cried making the decision to start again after the dead slow taper.

i gave it the three months hoping the pain would ease up but it did not.

my Rheumy was on vacation so I started with 7 mil for two days, pain almost gone with first six hours, third and fourth day five mil and now at 4. I'm staying at 4 mil for a few days then will go to 3.

im lucky I only needed a low dose start to feel better and want to take my time now to get to a comfortable dose even if it takes a bit longer, I will probably go down 1 mil a week and see if it works  and hopefully for you you can end it without a flare.

i had thought it was pred withdraw earl but suffering for three months was just sheer agony.lgood luck!

• Posted

Ask your doctor to allow you to keep a reasonable supply of 1 mg uncoated tablets so you can reduce to .5 and eventually alternate days of no pred with .5, provided that amount is still working for you.  If you can continue to gradually reduce the days you take that minimal dose without return of symptoms I'd say you are really  in remission.  If you start to have the return of symptoms, then PMR is still present and you need that tiny amount to keep you well.  

I felt so well about a year ago on 1.5 I attempted to continue tapering, with, unfortunately my doctor's encouragement and failure to renew my prescription.  I ended up with a relatively minor flare, but a year later I have finally got back to 2 mg and apparently unable to get back to my last best lowest dose.  I really believe the lower the dose the slower you have to go.  You really shouldn't try to drop to zero directly from even 1 mg, but taper it down as slowly as you can.

Please let us know how it goes.  Good luck!

• Posted

I hope I remember this...I’m just totally amazed at what a difference 1/2 mg can make.  Mind boggling.  If I hadn’t read it on these forums over and over, I wouldn’t have believed it.  Thanks for sharing, wishing you the best.
    • Posted

Why do you want to cut your feet off at ankles?  ( I’m curious as I have problems with feet too). What’s yours? 😱

• Posted

My feet are always painful.  I wake up and walk like Frankenstein.  As I get going my feet are less sore.  The tops hurt (never the bottom) esp if I walk a lot (say 26,000).  What are yours like?
    • Posted

Mine are numb , and look like raynauds symptoms. Going to vascular doctor in couple of weeks. Was hoping we may be similar ( less to worry about  😱wink 

• Posted

Sorry for the confusion.  My feet don’t hurt.  I was referring to the difference that even 1/2 mg pred can make in how we feel.  Didn’t mean to sabotage your post!
    • Posted

No not the same but still - painful.  And we have to keep moving.  Move it or lose it.  Good luck at the doctors.  Keep us posted.   
  • Posted

As I've reported on here before, I was down to 1 when I had my hip replacement and was instructed by the pharmacist at pre op interview that it was important not to think of stopping until after my post op assessment so obviously she considered this very small dose was still significant.  At that level why would anyone be agitating to get us to zero but I know some medics do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.