Scared

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have been diagnosed with Artrial Fillbrillation this morning and am really scared, anyone tell me anything about it please.

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am on Warfarin too. I put it off for quite a while but decided that it was important to take it so I have been on it now for around 5 months. It takes a few blood tests with a finger prick test to get you on the right dose but at least you are protected from forming blood clots which is very important. Can I ask if you suffer from any digestive problems?
    • Posted

It is just that the does seem to be a link with the digestive system and AF for many of us. How long do you think you have had it or did it just come on?
    • Posted

Didnt know I had it, just went for a well woman check up and she said my pulse was very erratic and did an ecg, got the result this morning
    • Posted

I am sure you will be fine, they will sort you out, you already have the beta blockers and the Warfarin will act as a safeguard. It is a strange thing to live with I have had mine for about 9 years now and I woke up with a very irregular beat that was making me feel really strange and got that looked and and thought it was a one off then four years ago it came back and I had Bisprolol which seemed to correct it but I get the irregular beats all days and probably did not notice them before but I used to get them and think nothing of it but obviously I must have had it for years but it is far more irregular as time has gone on.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed last year, Pauline: the good news is that you've been now been diagnosed and now you're a confirmed member of the club. The scary part was when you didn't know you had it and weren't taking meds etc for it when you were at great risk. Best advice I can give is to take the meds prescribed and chase for any follow up appointments with Cardiologists and get them to advise you as to what the Treatment/Maintenance plan is for you personally and keep your GP in the loop. If you find the meds are making you unwell do get them to review them as the beta blocker made me really unwell and affected by blood pressure and I couldn't go out for 6 months until they agreed to lower the dose and combine bisoprolol with flecainide but treatment would appear to vary around the country.

British Heart in some parts of the country hold support groups where people can share their experiences and I would urge you to go along. 

Do let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Great advice, getting the meds right is most important and support is really important too. I didn't realise there were so many of us until I joined the forum, I felt very alone but people on here have helped me so much.
    • Posted

Thanks both of you for that, I am feeling really scared today , just sitting here and almost too scared to move. The doctor said my low pulse rate which is due to the beta blockers is good, I see her again on Thursday when she will start the warfarin.
    • Posted

I was so scared of starting on Warfarin and even more scared of some of the others that you cannot reverse if you have a major bleed so opted for the Warfarin due to being able to have it reversed with a Vitamin K injection. Touch wood apart from a few headaches when I was on the 5mg dose which everyone starts on,I am now on 3.5mg and my reading is 2.3 consistanly and there hasn't been a problem wtih it. I thought it was something much older people were put on but my GP reassured me that young people take it and there are a lot of them so it made me feel that early 50's was not so bad.
    • Posted

I am concerned about warfarin but I think will feel happier when I do, I am 70 by the way, a very young one until this morning
    • Posted

You still will be Pauline, since I have had my AF I am now acting, singing in the rock choir and taking part in Zumba Street Dance and I didn't do those things when I didn't have it so it goes to show, don't let it stop you from doing things and even new things.
    • Posted

Thanks for that I hope to feel better than I do now. I have to go now but I would like to talk again
    • Posted

It is said that there are over 300,000 of us in the UK. It's a very big club.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply, it is not a good day for me but it does help to know that there lots of other people who have the same. I have to go for a heart scan to so that is another worry, but thanks again.

• Posted

Hi, I have had quite a few of them, Echo scans mainly and you can have the 24 hour ECG one which will monitor how often it changes and when. This is routine with this condition Pauline so don't worry.
    • Posted

She is going to send me an appointment but I have to go and see her tomorrow night for a longer talk about it all. At the moment I feel quite stressed and like I am shaking all over but hopefully I will get used to the diagnosis and feel better, I do hope so

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.