Scared

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I have been diagnosed with Artrial Fillbrillation this morning and am really scared, anyone tell me anything about it please.

2 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I found that after 10 years with paroxysmal AF it was caused by my BP medication. at the time Ramipril and then Candesartan. So if you're taking anything with palpitations as a side-effect, get it changed. I'm currently on Bisoprolol and haven't had a PAF episode for 2 months instead of weekly lasting for up to 48 hours. So glad I turned down the ablation advice

BTW doctors totally ignored the BP med. connection until I convinced them otherwise.

• Posted

I didn't have th is until I was on Ramipril and still on it so that might be worth mentioning to the doctor when I next go Marco. I am asthmatic and can only take the Bisprolol as an emergency so might need something else for the BP and see if that makes it less frequent. 

Thank you for this information.

• Posted

If its any comfort-try to feel lucky you cant feel it. For some reason some of us can-its like to eells fighting it out in the chest-behind the ribs-its very disconcerting and scary!
    • Posted

If its any comfort-try to feel lucky you cant feel it. For some reason some of us can-its like two eels fighting it out in the chest-behind the ribs-its very disconcerting and scary!

(spelling checked!)

• Posted

Yes I can feel mine all the time it is horrid. Sometimes it feels like your heart is in overdrive and others like it is going to stop which really is scary.
  • Posted

Hi Pauline You are definitely not alone - think we all have been scared at some point - but keep in touch with the forum lots of people on here who are in the same boat and who will support you when you are feeling down.  
    • Posted

Thank you for that, I think its the shock really, I had no idea at all that I had it, just went for a well woman check and it all went from there, thanks for the support, Pauline
  • Posted

I have had aFib for so long I can't remember a time any more when I didn't have it. It can be annoying and is highly treatable usually nothing to worry much about. Just stay in touvh with your doctor on it and keep him advised, sounds like you are doing just that. Thats good. I take med to keep mine less annoying and it works.
    • Posted

Hi, Not sure what happened I wrote to you but it disappeared, anyway thanks for coming on, its not a good day for me, feel full of worry and confusion and like my whole life has changed in a day, last week I felt fine, now I feel far from that. I am 70 so maybe I should have expected something to change, and am due to marry my childhood boyfriend in four weeks time, this has taken the excitement away from it all. You seem to be coping so well, I do hope I can feel better about all this. Take care, Pauline
    • Posted

Perhaps its love that is making your heart go a flutter:-)

It is not life threatening and there re many worse heart conditions you could have as I well know.

• Posted

Hi Derek, Thanks for that, the first time I have smiled today.
    • Posted

Just don't have your reception in A&E. The catering is not very good.

• Posted

That bit didnt make me smile, I am very scared although trying to be brave.
  • Posted

Hi Pauline, I had no idea I had PAF until I went to hospital for a pre op check for a hernia op 3 years ago I was 56 at the time, had an ECG and found myself in resuss so fast my feet didn't touch the ground, I felt fine and was totally shocked to find I had a heart rate going between 150-200 kept in overnight exrays and scans found my heart to be sound and PAF was diagnosed. And I was put on tildium warfrin was suggested but research showed that there were other moreodern drugs that may have suited my lifestyle better my hernia op took place after a delay and was fine I had another pre op last year in connection witj a hip replacement and again the ECG showedy heart going bananas so back to cardio were I was put on fle snide and riveroxibane I have had no side effects from either other than I bruise easy but in regard to the couple of times I have cut my self the bleeding does not take much longer to control than it did before. I had my hip replacemt again no problem, I go to the gym 2-3 times a week, work full time and have recently started dance lessons having PAF has not changedy life, PAF does not kill you but a stroke might but witj the right meds the risk of a stroke are actually less than that of people without the condition, keep using the forum, it's the unknown that is scary not the condition x
    • Posted

Thanks for that, I have had lots of replies to my post and it does help, I just wish that I didnt get so panicky, but I only found out yesterday so hopefully I will feel better in a couple of days, thanks again x
    • Posted

Hi, you are so right. You cannot let it change your life or you would be really down with this conditiona and like you say, it is the threat of stroke that is more of a worry than the PAF itself which is more of an annoyance as my GP called it as it can be controlled with meds and treatment and at least once you are being checked regularly, anything untoward would show up. I opted for the Warfarin due to the reversal with Vitamin K injection. I always bruised easily anyway so that is a bit worse and dentist is hesitant for the next few months regarding my check ups but should be okay by October to go back. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.