Scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I’ve been taking citalopram for 4 days now, and previous to that I was taking mirtazapine 15mg for 5 weeks. That was helping me sleep but did nothing for my anxiety during the day as it would make feel as if I wasn’t there. 

The side effects of the mirtazapine were bad but I feel the citalopram is even worse. I get really bad headaches, my anxiety is extreme and I feel like my head is going to explode. I also fear that it’s not working, and I need to go to a mental hospital. I also get unwanted horrible thoughts. Please say it’s gets better because I can’t cope at the moment. 

0 likes, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

because you have only taken this medicine for a short period,you have still not got the ssri built into your system.This will take 8/10 weeks for it too build into your system.What dose are you taken
  • Posted

Dear Kate it is difficult when you first start on citalopram but you will get through it. First 2 weeks were roughest for me esp with heightened anxiety. All our friends on here were so encouraging to keep going persevering with the meds only  allowing yourself to think one day at a time!! It will get better. Maybe ask your GP for a couple of Valium for when anxiety is at its worst.  Tell him how bad the side effects feel. Keep in touch
    • Posted

Yes ask your doctor for a benzo..and take your sleeping pill it will help you sleep thru all the side effects..you should also take your meds at night so you can sleep thru your side effects .
    • Posted

I am on day 26 now so must Of side effects have subsided and I am sleeping well!!
    • Posted

Thank you. I do find reading what everyone else has written is so helpful smile
  • Posted

I agree ask for a benzo while your adjusting. I felt like you and I got so scared by the thoughts that I went to emerg! They were like take an ativan and you'll be fine and I was. For me I felt anxious for the first 2 weeks then okay for two weeks then horrible for 4 days then slow improvements now at 8 weeks I feel like myself most of the time

• Posted

It’s so horrible because obviously the medication is going to help but I get so scared taking because of the effects it gives.  I keep thinking to myself I’m going to get better and it does help. Thank you
    • Posted

Try to remember everytime you feel that headache or heightened anxiety that it is a temporary side effect and those negative thoughts that you may have don't mean you are going crazy they are just the pills adjusting your brain chemistry.

• Posted

You are so right, you feel scared and alone  but you are not alone. WE are all here cheering you on.  This is such a helpful place to be. With other’s encouragement to keep going cos they have been where you are and have come through it and are surviving then blossoming!! Love and blessings
  • Posted

hi Kate... I read good things about Citalopram... I also dont really benefit from Mirtazapine...

go back to your GP and ask for a few benzo’s.., they really help

• Posted

I'm on the same combo, once the cit works you can drop the mirt you'll know when you can do it. I've been on the same combo before and just took the Citalopram after a while with no side effects at all, only the benefits.

• Posted

I find the Mirt useless for my anxiety... excellent for sleep but didnt help the anxiety part of me... its sort of a mild anti depressant in a way..
    • Posted

Yeah I agree, it does help in the early weeks of cit as it gives you the sleep you need. But it does have a fairly nasty hangover. Cit is wonderful for anxiety once the side effects go away.
    • Posted

i keep reading that Cit is good for anxiety.

I dont know why my psychiatrist put me straight onto mirtz... suppose ive caught up with enough sleep since being on it..

I just hope Cit works 

• Posted

Do you guys have ups and down on citalopram? 
    • Posted

Yes great week then bad day then few good then one bad but now at 8 weeks I haven't had a bad day in two weeks just small anxious moments.

• Posted

Why be on two antidepressants one for sleep and one for anxiety..from my experience get a sleep aid ..for sleep not another anti depressants you have to wean of off.and yes celexa does work for anxiety..my mom has been on it for 20years..and counting for anxiety not depression.
    • Posted

Yes the ups and downs are very famous with all ssris...
    • Posted

the doc said that adding Cit can help mirtazapine to be more effective..I’ve started decreasing mirtz though
    • Posted

But the doctor didn't say it was the other way around?

• Posted

She seems to think that Mirtz is really good and adding Cit will assist it with its anti depressant properties..

I explained that anxiety is my main concern which is also why she added Cit instead of a different antidepressant...

• Posted

I know that anxiety feeds of depression and vise versa..but I think you having the celexa with your benzo is sufficient..just give the celexa time.patience here is key is so slowwwww working .
    • Posted

I’m hoping that I can wean off the benzo once( if) Cit takes control of the anxiety.
    • Posted

I wean my self from one milligram in the beginning to .25 when needed and that's not everyday..I guess I wouldn't call it weaning I just down my dosage..had no problem

• Posted

Only when I need to.example I had a family death had to take my xanex to cope..etc.
    • Posted

Hi all

Ive been to see the psychiatrist today, she said to keep on 10mg of citalopram and 30mg of mirtz for another 6 weeks to see what it does... I did say I want to reduce Mirtz but she feels by reducing mirtz now it may make me unstable...

• Posted

She's probably right ..I know when I took mirt.i had the worst vision..and I only took one pill..and the vision issue lasted two weeks of wiggly vision..

• Posted

these tablets have quite alot of side effects

they also said to look into mindfullness excercises for inner peace

• Posted

Try it it may work for you..I have done all the mindfulness the talk therapy etc.etc.the only thing that work for me was celexa..
    • Posted

I agree.. I need to be medicated to bring down the anxiety 

The doc seems to be under the impression that something is making me anxious.. I said no, i have nothing going on in my head but my body is in apermanent anxious state...

I’ll try the mindfullness just to tick a box but I also agree that I need a decent antidepressant that works for the anxiety. I also said that I think Mirtzapine isnt aggressive enough on anxiety.. 

• Posted

Alot of folks around me where also under the impression that something was making me anxious..but no I have nothing to be anxious about..maybe as a child .but not now..this all boils down to chemicals in our bodies wether there hormonal or anything else..some people just need Medication to make us feel normal again .. imagine if that mindfulness and all the other talk therapys work for everyone ..most definitely put the big pharma out of business..

• Posted

Alot of the times therapy doesn't work .it most certainly didn't work for me .it just made it worst..

• Posted

I’m not against the idea of therapy and alot of the times I suppose intervention with therapy can help us making a right mess of our lives... but for me personally I’m hoping Celexa lessons the anxiety enough
    • Posted

I'm team #celexa..I truly believe in this med..never in a million years I thought that the cheapest $sri on the market would help so much..

• Posted

hopefully i will also be a member of team clexa

I wonder why drugs have different names in different countries?? 

• Posted

I meant’  therapy can stop us making a mess of our lives’

• Posted

So that way there's no confusion with where the meds came from..celexa USA .cipramil UK.etc

• Posted

I agree, some people need to be medicated to be able to live normal lives... 
    • Posted

Absolutely..without any type of meds for any illnesses..there would be alot of hurting humans..
    • Posted

Ive been to see my GP today to get a blood test. I asked about Citalopram and he said to stay on 10mg and wait another month to see if it does anything... he saidits more effective than the Mirtz for anxiety. 
    • Posted

I hope so..

I want this flippin full feeling in my ear to dissapear

• Posted

I know those side effects of celexa also magnifies anxiety symptoms..but it will pass trust me..I had it .it was annoying ..but it pass .
    • Posted

I had the pressure before I started the tablets

Did you get the feeling that something was in your ear?

• Posted

Before the tablets I had all kinds of weird head pressure sensations..sound issues smell issues ..head aches heart palpitations breathing problems vision problems etc..then celexa magnified those even more..and I survived..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.