Scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, 

I’ve been taking citalopram for 4 days now, and previous to that I was taking mirtazapine 15mg for 5 weeks. That was helping me sleep but did nothing for my anxiety during the day as it would make feel as if I wasn’t there. 

The side effects of the mirtazapine were bad but I feel the citalopram is even worse. I get really bad headaches, my anxiety is extreme and I feel like my head is going to explode. I also fear that it’s not working, and I need to go to a mental hospital. I also get unwanted horrible thoughts. Please say it’s gets better because I can’t cope at the moment. 

0 likes, 51 replies

Report / Delete

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

because you have only taken this medicine for a short period,you have still not got the ssri built into your system.This will take 8/10 weeks for it too build into your system.What dose are you taken
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Dear Kate it is difficult when you first start on citalopram but you will get through it. First 2 weeks were roughest for me esp with heightened anxiety. All our friends on here were so encouraging to keep going persevering with the meds only  allowing yourself to think one day at a time!! It will get better. Maybe ask your GP for a couple of Valium for when anxiety is at its worst.  Tell him how bad the side effects feel. Keep in touch
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I agree ask for a benzo while your adjusting. I felt like you and I got so scared by the thoughts that I went to emerg! They were like take an ativan and you'll be fine and I was. For me I felt anxious for the first 2 weeks then okay for two weeks then horrible for 4 days then slow improvements now at 8 weeks I feel like myself most of the time

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

It’s so horrible because obviously the medication is going to help but I get so scared taking because of the effects it gives.  I keep thinking to myself I’m going to get better and it does help. Thank you
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Try to remember everytime you feel that headache or heightened anxiety that it is a temporary side effect and those negative thoughts that you may have don't mean you are going crazy they are just the pills adjusting your brain chemistry.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You are so right, you feel scared and alone  but you are not alone. WE are all here cheering you on.  This is such a helpful place to be. With other’s encouragement to keep going cos they have been where you are and have come through it and are surviving then blossoming!! Love and blessings
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

hi Kate... I read good things about Citalopram... I also dont really benefit from Mirtazapine...

go back to your GP and ask for a few benzo’s.., they really help

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up