Scared and need reassurance and some answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello again, need to see if anybody knows or can help me. I was on zoloft for 6 years and it worked really good. Got off of it back in October 2019. Around January I noticed that I was feeling extra moody and irritable so I decided to restart the zoloft. Started with 50mg and it immediately increased anxiety for about a week and then started to level off. After two weeks I increased to 75mg and now not only am I anxious again but I feel depressed as well, and I wasn't depressed or anxious when I started back. Is that supposed to happen? It's really scaring me. I'm not sure if I should continue the drug or go back down or stop. My husband thinks I need to continue. Has anyone experienced this before? I really need some answers and encouragement!!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I am also interested on this.

I was on zoloft for 8 months in 2018 and saved my life (50mg).

Started again in October 2019 on 50mg and although took the anxiety away something was not right with me. Stopped taking it last week. I have issues with anxiety only.

I thought that it would do wonders again but didn't agree with me second time round. No depression thought

• Edited

I was prescribed Zoloft for anxiety too, never was depressed until I started to take it. On 50mg week 3-8 was hell, I was very depressed (and had a massive list of other side effects too) after week 8 mood got better gradually but still felt awful so increased to 100mg 2 weeks ago and got depressed again. I wanna ride it out until 8-9 weeks at least and then reassess and in the mean time trying to hope the best. Best of luck to ypu too!

• Posted

I did so well on the zoloft for 6 years, just don't understand it. I also want to ride it out, but the way I'm feeling now is absolutely miserable. Don't know if I should switch meds or what. Are you still feeling depressed or has it let up a little?

• Posted

My mood got better before the increase, but after I went up to 100mg a week later got depressed again. There are some good moments, evenings and nights are better (not all of them) when its easier but mornings are horrendous. I feel lost, worthless, no hope at all, no point to struggle because everything is bad and will be bad forever etc, and no matter I know in my mind that this all is not true at all I feel that strongly. Strange, never was depressed until I started to take an antidepressant 😦

• Posted

Have you mentioned to your doctor about them making you feel depressed? I know exactly how you feel. Mornings are awful, as soon as I open my eyes the anxiety hits me. That's when the depression is worse and I have to take an Ativan. Late afternoons and evenings I'm more calm, but as soon as it's time for bed I get a little more anxious. Dreading waking up. I'm on day 6 of my increase. I see my doctor in 5 days and if I'm still the same going to let him know. I really hope you start feeling better soon!!

• Posted

Yes I told her how I feel. She said that depression is a side effect and will pass like other side effects did. Yesterday evening was so great, felt calm and my mood lifted, had a good sleep, trying to hope we all will feel better soon. Rooting for you! Can you please let me know what your doctor says? Just because we feel similar way I am interested in a different docs opinion. Thank you in advance!

• Edited

I will definitely keep in touch. Debating on taking myself to a hospital actually. Just a really scary feeling, want to feel like myself again and there is nothing I can do about it. Makes me panic at times.

• Edited

So, went to my doctor today. He really didn't help too much, but I didn't think he would. You don't get the best doctors when you don't have insurance or much money. Anyway, I told him how I was feeling and all he said was 75mg shouldn't make me feel depressed. Then he suggested maybe I should reduce my dosage down to 50mg. Then he just said well why don't you switch meds. So he prescribed me Prozac, but I am scared to switch because I don't want to make things worse. I don't know what to do. How are you feeling today? Any better? It's funny because I feel a little better myself maybe, should I give this dose another week?

• Posted

I see your post in Facebook groups and I think thats the best we can do, ask others who have loads of experience with this medication. The best one is Bruno truth support group, Bruno Snow has seen thousands of ppl on this med, I think she has a better knowledge than GPs have, she might can give a better advice. If you ask me I would definitely give some more weeks for it, and I think your doc should know that 50mg and 75mg as well can make ppl depressed, Ive seen many many posts about it so its not just you and me. Today was a hard day for me anyway, but trying to stay hopeful.

• Posted

Well today was a horrible day!! Had to have my aunt come and sit with me all day because my anxiety was so bad. So bad that I wanted to die!! I've had two Ativan's and I feel a lot better, but bye bye zoloft. I can't take it anymore. I'm starting Prozac tomorrow and hopefully have a better time on that one. Seeing another doctor Thursday that specializes in mood disorders, anxiety and hormonal issues for women. Wish me luck!! How are things going for you today?

• Posted

Hello! Have you switched to prozac yet? If so good luck with it! Hope you have better times lately?

• Posted

Yes, I did switch and I'm so glad I did!! Within a week I was so much better. I've been on Prozac now going on 3 weeks and all the anxiety is gone and depression lifted. I still have some lingering nervousness and tension here and there, but it improves daily. I sleep perfectly fine without the need for any sleep meds and I don't wake up anymore with that horrible morning anxiety. I was just getting worse with every dose of zoloft I took. How are things going for you? Have you had any improvement?

• Posted

No, unfortunately I am not better at all. But its very good to hear you have found a med what helps! Best of luck with it, I hope it will continue to improve for you! Fingers crossed. I dont know what I should do, I am freaked out from switching, I switched to sert. from Lexapro and it was hell.. No idea what would be the best

• Posted

My doctor actually suggested I switch to Lexapro, but I chose Prozac because my mother and sister take it and have done well on it. I was told that if you have a close relative that does well on an antidepressant, chances are good that you will also have success with the same one. I didn't have any problems at all switching. I was really scared that I would, but the first day I stopped the Zoloft and took the Prozac, I started to feel a lot better. I am so sorry that you are not feeling any better!! You have been taking the Zoloft for quite a few weeks, right? If you're not improving any you may need to switch. It's so hard to know what to do. Prozac so far has been good to me. I really hope you start feeling better soon!! Don't lose hope!! There are tons of meds out there and you will find one that works!!

• Posted

Hi Robin I know this is an old post but I was switched from Citalopram to Sertraline 28 days ago and I still feel horrendous. My mum is on prozac and im really thinking of asking about this tomorrow. I really cant carry on with Sertraline. How did it go for you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.