Scared of all things medical

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone just wondered if anyone feels the same? Most posts on here refer to medical intervention. Doctors, hospitals etc. I have had severe health anxiety since I was five that I can remember. The school nurse got me into a panic. Since then I have avoided doctors and hospitals at every opportunity!  I'm now 66! Obviously there have been times in my life when I have had no choice but the anxiety is crippling! Every day there is something to worry about but I can't go to docs for reassurance. I'd appreciate comments from anyone who feels the same or someone who,s been like this and overcame it. Thanks in advance. E. 

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello  Elizabeth11977,and Wendi,

Hello  Elizabeth11977,And Wendi,

I have just joined this site ,have read through a few of the postings ,yours seems to be most like my own ,with re the Anxieties ,and scared of all things medical..

The being scared of all things medical is something that has happened over the past few years,as prior to that I was able to go to Dentists ,Doctors ,and hospitals alone and without any fears at all. The Anxiety though has been with me for more years than I care to remember ,

Going out can be a problem as I have had Agoraphbia for over 50 years ,and IBS for over 25 years .

I become so annoyed with myself as ,like I say prior to these things happening I simply had no fears of any of those things .

However I have also been a firm believer in using complimetry therapies ,I know not everyone agrees,but it is what I much prefer using .

Well that is my introduction ,I hope you are well ,I also read where 3 ladies would like to keep in touch privately ,I would love to be able to do so ,and join in with you all if that is agreeable with you all.I am 78 years of age ,but have always been very young at heart .

Best Wishes

millyimp1322

• Posted

I have just joined this site ,have read through a few of the postings ,yours seems to be most like my own ,with re the Anxieties ,and scared of all things medical..

The being scared of all things medical is something that has happened over the past few years,as prior to that I was able to go to Dentists ,Doctors ,and hospitals alone and without any fears at all. The Anxiety though has been with me for more years than I care to remember ,

Going out can be a problem as I have had Agoraphbia for over 50 years ,and IBS for over 25 years .

I become so annoyed with myself as ,like I say prior to these things happening I simply had no fears of any of those things .

However I have also been a firm believer in using complimetry therapies ,I know not everyone agrees,but it is what I much prefer using .

Well that is my introduction ,I hope you are well ,I also read where 3 ladies would like to keep in touch privately ,I would love to be able to do so ,and join in with you all if that is agreeable with you all.I am 78 years of age ,but have always been very young at heart .

Best Wishes

millyimp1322

• Posted

Hello Milly,

Just to say welcome and if it's not too rude when I'm writing to you, to also say Hi to the other contributors too. Iv'e been away from home and my computer so I haven't had the opportunity to keep up with everyone and their posts and it's so nice to come back.

Take care and please do write and tell us more about you and your life but of course, only if you feel comfortable doing it.

• Posted

Hello Paul,

Many thanks for your warm welcome ,It is greatly appreciated .Not at all being rude,it is nice to welcome others in too,at the same time .  I will say more about myself in time ,at the moment it is better to get to know people first I think ,then I don`t feel I am being a bit pushy,

take care

Milly

• Posted

Best Wishes

millyimp1322

• Posted

Hello Milly,

just to say that I do come here from time to time to read how everyone's getting on.  I think it's an absoluetely good idea that some of you ladies have decided to keep in contact with each other as I'm sure having sa friend or two makes all the difference so I hope you do make some friends on here.

Ps: I can't spell!

• Posted

Hi Milly it didn't quite work out that we kept in touch because my computer skills are not what they should be! However I have learned how to send a private message through here. I will send you one and you can let me know if you receive it. I'm happy to have a blether if we can manage that. I'm interested in your experiences.

Elizabeth.

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth ,

Many thanks for your reply both in here and your private message ,which I have replied to ,I am sorry it didnt work out for you to keep in touch ,it would be nice to do so ,

• Posted

Hello Elizabeth,

sorry about the posting ,my hand hit the wrong buttn, it would be nice if we could chat with each other ,and maybe give each other the support we both seem to need ,I have replied to your private message ,

millyimp1322

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.