Scared of Endoscopy Please Advise

Posted , 5 users are following.

After using heavy antibiotics for Hpylori I developed severe upper stomach pain as a reaction. After only second day of antibiotics I got severe stomach pain but I continued to complete the course which nearly killed me.

Now even after 4 months I am still in the same pain I cant walk or do even slight movements without aggravating my pain I dont know what have antibiotics done to me. Doctor diagnosed it as gastritis because of antibiotics I believe but the only way to be sure is Endoscopy.

I am really scared of Endoscopy (sedation is not an option). There are primary two main concern:

1) Does the tube cause irritation or damage to the stomach surface when sliding and entering stomach? I am already in too much pain and cant afford any irritation or damage to my stomach.

2) How is disinfection performed on the instrument. Docs perform numbers of endoscopy each day how do they disinfect the tube. Can a person be infected through another person's bacterial remains on the tube?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Human being 

i had one in 2016 and the sedation is for like 10 minutes and you are up.  I had a mild soar throat and below but went away after 2 days.   I am very sure the used one per person so you can always call the doctor and ask for the sterilization precidures.  

• Posted

I would not choose sedation. Yes it seems harmless procedure for some but there are many horror stories. I am in too much pain and cant afford any more pain. Endoscopy procedures are harsh sometimes.
    • Posted

Perhaps MRI or Baric pill with a camera ( all procedures has risk)   My situation to many family members dying of stomach cancer so I had it and I have GERD produce by Motrin and small hiatal hernia .  Good luck to you and it is scary bein under but i rather have that and being sedated for 10-15 min than not knowing what is going on!!!  
    • Posted

You mean they change tube for everyone? I dont think thats possible but maybe..
    • Posted

They have to sterilized them ! There is no way in hell they use a hose from the previous person.  I know the Navy hospitals use on a single person. I have 2 in my life time and no problems is better than exploratory surgery
  • Posted

Have you tried any  healing supplements like DGL [Licorice root],L-Glutamine, Marshmallow root, Slippery Elm, Standardized Chamomile Extract, and Zinc first,?   What are they going to do if they do find gastritis and why can't you take their medicine first?  Sounds like they just want keep the scope busy and bring in the cash.

• Posted

Thats what I think too. I never never use any meds and this is probably the first time I did a mistake of using these strong antibiotics because I read hpylori was linked to cancer ( i was asymptomatic and with unnoticible symptoms even if there were any).

The reason I am inclined towards endoscopy is because I am not healed in these 4 months. I cant do anything without aggravating my pain. I was a very healthy and fit person before antibiotics but now I need bed to calm my pain down. It became so painful that it radiated to my back and upper stomach feels like someone punched me. So now anxiety is kicking in fearing for the worse. Although I know antibiotics did this to me but who knows what these antibiotics have done to me . I might have reacted badly to them, I am struggling to find people with my symptoms who have extreme pain (no burning) and movement aggravates their upper stomach pain. Pain is not on one particular area so it cant be an ulcer and GOD forbid it is ulcer then there maybe many. I was and am a healthy green eater but antibiotics really messed me up, I lost my appetite its so painful.

I have tried slippery elm but not for long. I am consuming psyllium husk with water daily but it isnt working or maybe working but not noticible. I dont want to go the PPI route, tried it for 10 days or so and it didnt work. My symptoms are pain and I think PPis help more with acid reflux and burning. I am thinking about Sucralfate/Carafate any experience with that?

• Posted

You could take the safer old acid blockers like Pepcid, Zantac etc...  It probably would be good to lower your acid for a while. Don't overlook DGL and L-Glutamine, they are very healing to the gastric mucosa. No experience with those drugs you mention.  I had an H pylori ulcer about 20 years ago and it took several rounds of antibiotics to get rid of then that gave me Candida Yeast overgrowth which was another long nightmare to get rid of. Always insist on a safe antifungal like Nystatin when you're taking antibiotics. 

• Posted

A barium meal may suit you better.
    • Posted

Because I have pain they say barium is not suitable for me and that I should go for endoscopy. Apparently for medical staff endoscopy is a piece of cake without any danger.
    • Posted

If you took one of the tetracyclines, it could have caused erosions or ulcerations in the lower esophagus.  If that's the case I would ask them if there is some procedure they're going to do with the scope besides just looking at the area.  It seems like that would irritate it more than it already is.  Sorry if I'm so down on doctors but everyone in my family has endured numerous medical screw ups and unnecessary procedures.  They should have switched antibiotics when you started having those symptoms.  I hope you complained to them and didn't just tough it out.

• Posted

I did went to the doc and told him how much pain antibiotics have caused me but he said it would be better if you continue and complete the course. I was dying with pain and other side effects but I kept on completing the course thinking once I am done pain will go away but it never did. I was on Amoxicillin and Clairythromycin.
    • Posted

Were you told by a doctor that barium is unsuitable for you or did you read this?

Barium meal is an older procedure but it is still used.  It doesn’t involve a tube going down your throat which you have concerns about and doesn’t involve sedation or local anaesthesia, both of which can be toxic. It may be they are putting you off it because they much prefer to do the more modern endoscopy for their own convenience.  It is all.very well them recommending it, but they are not the ones who may have bad side effects. .Some people experience pain from endoscopies after the procedure.  

I had a very bad experience with an endoscopy because I react very badly to sedation.  I really don’t know what to suggest to you other than to tell your doctor that you feel you couldn’t cope with it or ask for a pill endoscopy.

• Posted

You're right.  Get the procedure and then you'll know for sure.  Let us know what they find out.  Don't worry it probably feels worse than it is.  When I had my ulcer it felt like someone was literally drilling a hole right under my sternum.

• Posted

Barium was my first choice but the staff says since I am in pain its not wise to drink barium.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.