Scared of Endoscopy Please Advise

Posted , 5 users are following.

After using heavy antibiotics for Hpylori I developed severe upper stomach pain as a reaction. After only second day of antibiotics I got severe stomach pain but I continued to complete the course which nearly killed me.

Now even after 4 months I am still in the same pain I cant walk or do even slight movements without aggravating my pain I dont know what have antibiotics done to me. Doctor diagnosed it as gastritis because of antibiotics I believe but the only way to be sure is Endoscopy.

I am really scared of Endoscopy (sedation is not an option). There are primary two main concern:

1) Does the tube cause irritation or damage to the stomach surface when sliding and entering stomach? I am already in too much pain and cant afford any irritation or damage to my stomach.

2) How is disinfection performed on the instrument. Docs perform numbers of endoscopy each day how do they disinfect the tube. Can a person be infected through another person's bacterial remains on the tube?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

The thing that is worrying me is why even a slight movement and walking pain so much like someone punched me in my upper stomach, I never read anyones pain so severe unless they had an operation or something. I am really worried will I ever get better.
  • Posted

I do not want to do endoscopy either because its just a diagnostic test. But the severity and type of pain I am experiencing is somewhat unique and really worrisome. Even if it is gastritis or inflammation or ulcer why would it hurt when I simply brush my teeth or walk. Stomach feels swollen from inside and now back pain started as well which is really strong. Sometimes the pain feels like someone punching you from back as well like the cramp you get from a punch and same severe punched like pain is in upper stomach almost all the time.
    • Posted

Something just occurred to me that makes sense why this is so painful and long lasting.  You could very well have an esophageal Candida fungus infection.  If you've ever had even a tiny spot of thrush in your mouth you know how painful that is.  Plus they didn't give you an antifungal with the antibiotics

• Posted

I once got a candida infection from antibiotics.  At first I didn’t know what it was and it sent my panic through the roof.  Then my doctor told me it was the antibiotics that caused it and this can be very common.
    • Posted

What are the symptoms of Candida in stomach? My pain suddenly started on the second or third day of antibiotics use.
    • Posted

This antibiotics reaction and so much pain has made me a chicken. I guess I have to man up and do the endoscopy.
    • Posted

I've never heard of Candida in the stomach, because the acid would probably stop it, but if it's in your lower esophagus, it might feel like your upper stomach.  The antibiotics could have first severely irritated the area, which may be why it started hurting fairly quickly, and wiped out your good protective bacteria, then the Candida moved in after that.  

• Posted

I had one recently, not the most pleasant of procedures but I’m glad I choose the sedation.  It doesn’t take long to recover from it and I had no after effects, not even a sore throat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.