scared of flying. having anxiety

Posted , 11 users are following.

I hate flying! I flew so many times and still not use to it. I always get anxiety the day of flying. Feeling a bit anxious right now. Out of benadryl. Gonna get some b4 my flight. Calms me down a little. 

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same for me, the worst part is taking off.  I think I have multiple issues with flying.  I'm so scared of having a panic attack which I usually do, I am also scared of being stuck in the same space for ages.  I try and tell myself as it takes off that there is no point in worrying as I can have no control.  Like I say I managed one flight so far being as calm as I can be.  Usually it's a case of holes in my hands where my nails have dug in, deep breathing, no eating and sometimes (embarrassingly) crying.  I sweat like a pig, which is soooooo humiliating when I stand up to get off and I have huge wet patches all over.  

My family really want me to go visit my brother in Oz soon, man that's a 24 hour flight on and off, I can't even imagine, someone would have to seriously put me to sleep to get through that.  Worst thing is my youngest daughter who is 12 seems to have the same fear even though she's never done a flight!  

• Posted

Oh I'm sorry Louise... I thought I was bad. I will never take a long flight ever again. I flew to the Philippines in 2010 and couldnt sleep at all. And the flight wasnt even that bad. But still hated it. 

I'm always flying with my 10 year old son. He loves it! 

• Posted

Everyone is different.  I am determined to overcome this fear.  My best friend lives in Northern Ireland, where I spent most of my life.  It's literally a 40 minute flight and I am determined this year to do the bloody flight.  I usually travel there by boat which involves a 6 hour journey to Scotland by car then 2 hour boat, OR worse a 12 hour journey by national express coach.  I really want to just get on the damn plan on my own and just do it.  It's ridiculous.  
  • Posted

My suggestion is just pop to GP and get a prescription for diazepam, perfect for this sort of thing, no side effects if taken properly, you'll only need about 6 tabs. 

1 for morning of flight, 1 for airport and couple for flight.

5mg is probably effective enough 10mg you'd be asleep on plane! 

• Posted

Hi everyone. I have been reading about all of your experiences and it's nice (in a way) to know I'm not the only one. I've just booked a holiday today for march and I'm already freaking out. I'm 27 and have GAD. I am absolutely petrified of flying. I never used to be afraid but since I was unfortunate enough to get pleurisy (twice) and flew a few weeks after recovering, I was so worried that my lung would explode on that flight due to the air pressure that flying has since spiralled out of control on the fear factor. I now worry obsessively for months before a flight, with increasing panic as the date approaches.

Last year, I flew back from Lanzarote in those awful storms in February. I have never experienced anything so frightening in my whole life. The plane was so turbulent, I thought the wings were going to snap right off. We came in sideways! SIDEWAYS! I could see the runway out of my passenger window! I truly believed in that moment I was going to die. As others have said, I looked around the plane at others and some people were laughing because it was so violent but most of the people were tense. I was in full blown panic attack.

now, I'm afraid of getting on the plane, the deliberately Slowtaxi to the runway usually causes me a panic attack. The take off is the worst. It's like there's no turning back, but this is the point my phobia is at it's strongest. I usually feel as though I'm going to pass out or have a heart attack. It's not even so much the fear or dying as the fear of feeling like I'm out of control and feeling *like* I'm going to die (if that makes any sense). The anxiety does lessen when we're up in the air but only marginally. Instead of being full panic attack, it's being in a constant state of stress. Every bump, every noise Triggers another rush of adrenaline. 

The decent isn't as bad as the take off but it usually is accompanied by a fresh panic attack - but not always. I think by this point I'm too exhaustedto have another full attack?

after landing, I feel so grateful to be alive but the anxiety is a background noise throughout my trip for the return journey. I can never fully forget the anxiety. 

I didn't know that the gp would prescribe meds for this. I will definitely request this closer to the time.

any tips and hints welcome!! 

• Posted

Omg you have just described to fine detail every single fear I have on a flight. Its my single most overwhelming fear. I too have anxiety anyway. I really wish I could help you and Id love to know what others have to offer as I need the help too. Youre way braver than I am as I cant even book a hol that includes a flight. 
    • Posted

I'm not going to lie. I regret booking it. It's been 3 days since I booked it and as many nights since I last slept. I have been on the cusp of a panic attack when I was talking about it this weekt and there have been many, MANY tears. I just had an argument with my partner as i have just said I want to cancel the flight due to recent terrorism in France. However, I am determined to beat this damn fear. I have been looking on the easyjet website at their fearless flyer courses. Can anyone recommend? It has a 98% success rate of curing flight phobia - supposedly
  • Posted

Hello, I know the posts I am reading are 9 months old, but I'm just reading them now. I'm very curious to find out how you made out on the flight you were worried about. I have a long story of my own, and let's just say that I can relate to you completely. I have worked a lot out and have managed to go on one or two flights a year since my first panic attack in a plane 10 years ago. It takes a lot of preparation and self talk, but have found strategies that work. I hope things are going well for you now!
  • Posted

Hello, 

I am a Graphic Desginer and am currently doing research into fear of flying. I am wanting to design something that will help people with fear of flying. I was wondering if anyone would be able to offer any advice or suggest anything that they feel would help them during a flight.

Thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.