scared of high bloodpressure

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello all, 

Wondered if anyone had any advice,  I went to GP over a year ago and had extremely high bloodpressure! Was put on amlodipine but had nightmare side affects so changed to ramapril!  My GP said my BP was stress related after loads of different tests, after much discussion agreed to take citalopram for my anxiety, I am so traumatised from the High BP as I had to stay at docs for over an hour and she checked my eyes as I think she was checking if I had stroke symptoms!  I have been very stressed in the past but over the last yr I have learnt to do relaxation,  do yoga weekly,  have reflexology,  don't drink much,  exercise regularly,  eat well but do smoke! I take my BP at home and when I am relaxed it is fine but I panic when I see the machine and then if the reading is high I have a panic attack!  I get dizziness when I lay down and worry if this is my blood pressure.  Have to do my BP at home to get readings for my GP but so worried! Help

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I recommend you try a low fat/low sugar/low salt diet as recommended by slimming world. I had similar problems on amlododipine, most of which stopped within a few days of stopping the medication. I was put on a different tablet but my bp was still too hight. Now with no medication but on the new healthy eating regime, also taking 100 ml beetroot juice with water once a day, my bp is lower than ever and I have lost a stone in weight in 8 weeks. This is all in agreement with my dr and I regularly check my BP at home and at the dr's surgery.
    • Posted

Thanks Wendy, wow! Good for you, it's great to hear that you can control your BP without medication, so pleased for you, I dashed out for the beetroot juice, mixed with blackcurrant as did not like the taste but will get it down some how! Going to try the above smoothies think slimming world is fabas well. I do 20 min exercise DVD daily and lost 2 dress sizes, but did not bring BP down. How long before beet juice works?
    • Posted

And how long does it actually work for? Some who thought it had helped found that it sneaked back up. 

• Posted

Hi Hails. You appear to be doing a lot right. I am on ramipril and have been for a few years. No visible side effects but have twice yearly blood tests to check kidneys are OK. Interestingly my 95 year old mother has recently been prescribed citalopram as she was getting panic attacks and they appear to be working for her. Obviously if you can stop smoking it would be a great help. Is your weight/height ratio OK? If you are overweight then losing weight will also help. However the most important thing for you at this time is to overcome your anxiety when that cuff is on your arm. I suffer from a similar problem and put the cuff on my arm but don't inflate it. I sit comfortably like that for about 10 mins, or more sometimes, until I feel the anxiety fade. I empty my mind of everything and then hit the inflate button! Not always successful but better than how I used to do it!! Good luck.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for your advice, I am 36 yrs old, 5ft 6 in and weigh 9 stone, I eat a low fat diet and exercise daily, stress is an awful thing and attacks you even when you don't realise! I think your idea of putting the cuff on for a while is great, thanks for this am going to try this Am also doing beetroot thing, fingers crossed! Thanks
  • Posted

Not sure how long the beetroot juice takes to work as I simultaneously changed my diet at same time, if you know the slimming world healthy eating plan you will know that it also involves cutting down on alcohol (though I don't drink much anyway) but I have also cut right down on coffee. I suggest you try the beetroot juice but keep to 100ml or more of it can cause a bad stomached in some people.

I also suffer from stress so understand that. The cuff idea sounds good. I also try repeating RELAX in my head while taking bp as it takes my mind off the thought of taking the blood pressure😊 

good luck, and keep us informed with how you get on.

• Posted

I get the same thing I do not smoke that's a Bigey with Bloodpreashure stop if you can anyway I had a high reading on the 10 12 2015  it was 152 /90 however I  was 15.9 I have know conpletly changed my eating habits eat 2 banks a day plus fruite sand veg fish chicken and salds I tack horthorn ,q10 and fish oils Drink Petey off water my Bp know runs at 115/68 however it can go two 148/86 with strese and has Been 200 / 120 went two the hospitals and it was 130 / 70 strese is a killer says me who gets strese but Bloodpreashure  has two rain high over a few days then it should be treated personal I go down the herdel route But getting strese down should help you Zbloodpreashure eat healthy walk sauna ,swim all lowers stres my Zbloodpreashure was 107 /68 this morning after a dozen readings however yesterday 124/75
    • Posted

Thankyou Tony 92886 for your reply, I know smoking is a biggie, I am working on it, I have spoken with gp and he is convinced that it's anxiety and told me not to worry, told me to put bp machine away and relax

• Posted

I suffer from stress allso on meds for it well I went two hospital with a Beesting on my eye last May Bloodpreashure 160/90 put it down two waiting then I went two the docs 10 December my Bp was 152/92  however I am know eating heat hey lost nearly two stone have a sound Daily tack horn thorn ,fish oils ,garlic,,Drinkat least 4 pints off water a day tack apple cider vinger and I have flaxseed as Vitaminwater D is very good for bp on the Internet there Deepbreathing exercise you can do my Zbloodpreashure was107/68 But my first reading is around 138/80 if I panic it rises even had 200/100 not this year though Deep Breathing a good Diet plety off water and relaxe in a souna as the heat opens your veins up and lowers your body hope I have helpet
  • Posted

Hey guys, still struggling with the BP phobia! I have had phobia councelling and now can use the machine again! Sometimes I get readings 138/80 or 145/95, then 178/120!! I get complete changes in readings, I take indapamide daily but doesn't seem to do anything. My GP is not concerned and says anxiety is the problem and is concerned about that but not BP, I feel worried about the high readings but he doesn't recommend any more medication, should I trust what he says?
  • Posted

I have the same its flight or fight if you get stressed say you see a numBers say 135/80 you think wow that's high the you check it again and it's 140/90 you thick wow that high well nether off the readings are high Both high normal my blood prashure was 160 /90 last year and the hospitable weren't two Botherd went two my Dr 10 December it was 152 /90 high I chanced my eating haBbits two fruite veg fish white meat and jacket spuds startedDrinking beetroot juice walk and go two the sauna everyday lost two stone Drinking at least 4 pints off water a day do not smoke a Bigey in Bloodpreashure and heart health tacke horthorn cider vinger fish oil ,garlic cause ales and juice carrots and Drink Beetroot juice everyday Bloodpreashure this morning 101/68 Best thing you can do is stop smoke img it very very Bad for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.