Scared osteoporosis diagnosis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Lumbar -4.5, hips and femur-2.7

Just found out yesterday after a scan. Gp just read result and handed me a prescription for alendronic acid and told me to take with water but not about side effects. I haven't taken it because I have read about terrible side effects and am scared stiff! Is this manageable without drugs? Really appreciate some advice

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

First don't be scared, there are far worse things to have been diagnosed with, how old are you and have you ever broken a bone ?

• Posted

Thanks Gary. I broke my collar bone 2 years ago after collapsing but osteoporosis wasn't mentioned. 5th November I fractured a vertebrae but it wasn't picked up by hospital until I asked for xray in Feb. Showed osteopenic. Had density scan 9th of Feb and got results on Friday. I'm 60. It was a shock. Haven't even had a blood test yet but was given alendronic acid which I haven't taken.

• Posted

Those aren't great results, although the femur is just barely into the OP range.  It's up to you of course but if you have no "fragility fractures" and are otherwise in good health I'd be tempted if I were you to try the nutrition, supplements, exercise route first.  It will improve bone density without any side effects except better overall health!  A number of people have been posting here about this method.  If I can find a link to one of the threads I'll post it soon.

• Posted

Thank you. I fractured a vertebrae in November but Dr's didn't pick it up until I asked for xray in Feb which said osteopenic. Had density scan 8th Feb but didn't get results until Friday. Fracture healed but got no advice from gp about what I can or can't do. Am taking calcium and vitamin d and healthy eating and walking. Really hope I can do it without meds . Report said 18% risk but I don't think that is that high?

• Posted

I'd go to an experienced physiotherapist to get some advice on how to protect your spine and exercises to strengthen the supporting muscles.  Think that is a good idea, meds or no meds.

• Posted

Add in vitamin K2 180 mcg. There are others too but that is a good start. Foods that are helpful include prunes, leafy greens, avocados, bone broth, cucumbers and barley.
  • Posted

My lumbar is the same. Actually both are like mine. I do not take the drugs but I have not broken anything apart from ruptured discs which cause more issues than my bones.
    • Posted

The thing with the discs Is that theycause nerves to shoot down usually into the leg but mine found a home in the sacroiliac. The only thing that has worked for me is not to set it off. Hence I do not sit on straight hard chairs or stand in one spot for more than a couple of minutes I control it by having a quiet life because once set off it takes a few days to settle.

I am probably nearly due for another DEXA scan so unsure if there is much difference. There was a littl difference last time. I am thinking if I can stop it getting worse might be good in my case.

I can exercise but not much unfortunately.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen

​I spoke to a pharmacist who I have relied on in the past and he said I should take the allendronic acid as the benefits outweigh the side effects!  Still not convinced!

• Posted

It's really hard to decide I dread another vertebrae fracture as pain was excruciating although I was trying to move a king size mattress on my own!

• Posted

While I personally would never take the drugs, I think the latest suggestion is to take them for two years, maximum three.  At that point the side effects begin to outweigh the benefits.  You never want your bones to become brittle, which they will do over time with the bisphosphonates.  This is why I hope everyone, whether they take bone meds or not, is also following a reginment which is designed to improve bone health naturally.  That way, even if you do take the drugs, you will be ahead of the game when it'stime to take the recommended "drug holiday".  The meds stay in your bones indefinitely.

• Posted

oh for an edit button - regimen 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.