Treating osteopenia and osteoporosis

Posted , 18 users are following.

The more reading I have done lately the more concerned I am that people are starting their treatment for bone thinning with very dangerous medications rather than first trying the natural methods.  I'd like to hear from people who have tried natural methods to improve their bone health and whether they feel they have been successful, how they went about finding information, etc.  So far I have learned that exercise is important - weight bearing exercise which includes walking and tai chi, not just vigorous workouts at a gym!  Also we need to make sure we are getting all our micronutrients, including the Vitamins that help calcium go into our bones, not just get deposited on our blood vessel walls or into organs where it doesn't belong.  This means not only Vitamin D3, but also Vitamin K2, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and of course magnesium, boron and other nutrients.  Many are available from diet, although Vitamin K2 is hard to get in a modern Western diet so most of us are deficient.  i am horrified that the medical profession doesn't seem to know enough about nutrition to be able to guide us on this journey and we have to find our own way.  The medications on offer are terrifying.

5 likes, 196 replies

196 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Wow Anhaga you have hit the nail on the head. You have even added to my knowledge and understanding. Thank you.

I did not know about vitamin A and E as being important for bone health.

I do know about the exercise bbut I find motivation a problem for me.

I am hoping to rid myself of back pain which might lift my mood which, in turn, may help with motivation.

I also had vertigo for eight months. I had facial surgery this year too.

Hoping next year will be my year.

• Posted

Kathleen.  It seems that all those fat soluble vitamins work together.  Which is why it is so important we try to get as much of our nourishment from food where all the other things are present, not just from supplements that contain what the latest science says is useful.  It is such a shame that our food has become so deficient in many nutrients we need.
    • Posted

What is the cause of your back pain? fracture? Are you on any of the bone meds? Sounds like you had a stressful year. I hope 2017 will be kinder.
    • Posted

Oh I am so sorry not replying sooner as I missed this and it only caught my attention when someone else posted today.

It was interesting to see what I wrote over a year ago.

I have not broken my back but it felt like it when I ruptured two discs in my back from sneezing.

Now I keep my mouth open when I sneeze.

Actually I have gone downhill. I tried to fix my back but no luck!

I use a rollator most of the time even inside. It was found I have multiple issues with my back which add up to my needing my husband as my carer.

I can't stand in one spot or sit on a normal chair. However, all is not lost because I have a good life with my husband in particular. We lead a quiet life with our computers and television and books etc.

We have children and grandchildren who come for special occasions especially.

My mind is active as you can see and that is the most I,portant.

How are you now?

• Posted

Good to hear from you. I was just wondering if your doctor(s) have tried to get you to take any of the bone drugs. I'm doing the Forteo, but wished I wasn't. I felt like the doctors were saying I didn't have much choice; my scores were so bad. I don't remember if you mentioned what your back issues are. Osteoporosis? If so,yYour t-scores must be okay. I'm doing okay I suppose, but like you struggle sometimes with getting discouraged. It can be difficult living like this. It sounds like we might be in similar circumstances as far as mobility or activity. I keep trying different things past PT had given me, but don't seem to get anywhere and maybe even steps backward. I think I may try the TENS unit you and Chris mentioned. Have you gotten any relief from it yet. I noticed your conversation with Chris was that you were trying different locations for the patches and different settings. Wish me luck. Take care. Hope to hear back from you regarding my questions. I'm in the US, and retired. How about you? I'm still hoping 2017 will be better for you; sounds like it is. confused

• Posted

I resisted any persuasion. I picked up the prescription for AA and looked at the packet and baulked. I kept researching and thinking. I thought about my throat. I thought about my teeth, I read everything on here, then researched and researched.

I said to my GP that she would be disappointed in me as I did not want to take it. She took me seriously. She knew I take other drugs for diabetes and crohns, etc. She told me half her patients thought like I did and were refusing. 

My tscores especially for my back are bad. -4.3 for my back. I have mild scoliosis and arthritis. The tens machine never helped my back. Physio did not cure it although she said she could. So what I do now is not set it off. To do that I do not sit on hard chairs or stand for more than a minute or two. I can walk but not for too long. I use a rollator and take every precaution not to fall.

All the best to you and thank you for caring.

• Posted

Just updating here.  It's all been a long time since I gave osteoporosis a single thought.  I went to my GP re scoliosis (which the physio told me was due to one leg being 2cm shorter than the other - arthritis of the knee was bending it outwards and the physio said I needed to raise the shoe on that foot gradually but as soon as possible to stop it getting worse or I'd end up with a rod in my back - so I did that) and before even getting test results back he put me on bisposphenates.  They made me so giddy I was literally almost falling over (yes, very good for someone who is supposed to have osteoporosis!) so stopped taking them.   I made another appointment to see him again, ended up with the practice nurse instead who told me to sit in the waiting room while she spoke with the doctor (not impressed) and then she came out with another prescription of basically the same thing.  End of.  Went in the bin.  BUT in the meantime my husband had got hold of the test results at reception, where we saw the line where it advised for medication was lower than my scores!  So in the meantime I've got the calcium, Vit K, magnesium and Vit D and I tend to eat low fat yoghurt, more cheese and am more active.  Had one knee replacement and pre-op for the next one is 15th May.  I'm on the treadmill every day, as well as recumbent bike.   Yes, the unoperated knee IS holding me back a bit but it's amazing what ONE good knee can do to help (and I'm only talking 8 weeks post op with that one!) so once the other one is done I'll be doing even more exercise and will get to the point of considering myself fitter.  I don't think the doctors even look at the history of the bisphosphenates so I don't bring it up at all.  The shorter leg is now a tad longer than the other one, so we'll see how they end up after the second knee is replaced.  I've had no back pain since the TENS sorted it - that was amazing, and I can only hope that it will work for others as it has for me.  Oh, and when I asked the knee replacement surgeon what the bone was like he looked at me slightly oddly and said 'fine'.   That's good enough for me!  I do wish all the best to others on here.  I know it's such a difficult decision regarding meds and you must do what you feel is good for you! 

• Posted

Oh I remember the Tens thing. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. Neither did the physio who said she could fix it. Third thing I did was a course of Bowen. Now, just concentrate on. It setting it off.

I am impressed with your knee replacement. You have done so well. You must have had a good surgeon.

That doctor must have been employed by the drug company lol. 

It is good to hear from you.

• Posted

I'm so sad the TENS didn't work for you or the physio.  But hope that you can reduce problems now?  The knee replacement was little short of miraculous LOL!  Can't wait for the next one to be done - hoping July/August time for the op:-)  I think too many doctors just hand out a prescription for bisphosphenates without thought!  It's crazy.  A bit like the statins used to be (yes, fell foul of those too, for a condition they discovered years later that I didn't have!).

• Posted

I have to avoid activities like going out much etc. I hope the other knee goes as well. My cousin had a knee replacement and it took years to settle.

I know someone having both knees done at the same time.

• Posted

I'm on the knee group of patient.info too and I have to admit I'm the exception to the rule - everyone else is having a harder time than me!  I just sailed through the first one.  Hoping the second one might be as good as that, but who knows:-))))

• Posted

Well done on all the efforts you are making to exercise and get/keep yourself fit and active. Great that you are doing it all even with one knee that needs replacing! I am impressed and inspired - must get to the gym more and stop being lazy.
    • Posted

Oh thank you ANW.  I'm glad I did the exercise before the first knee was done because I'm convinced it helped with the recovery of that knee so it's in my own interest to be doing it now, ready for the next one too:-)  Then once you realise you're not held back by arthritis it's really exciting.  It feels as though the world is your oyster:-)))  The thought of being fit and strong really appeals now and it's something I never thought would be possible!

• Posted

I'm so glad. It's difficult at first, when everything hurts, but once you can get through that, you start to feel so much more mobile and life is full of possibilities. Only believesmile

• Posted

I have a cousin who because of RA had to have ankle replacements.  She was virtually wheelchairbound beforehand, but afterwards was able to walk fine, although she has to be careful how much because an ankle replacement may wear out, and when she had it done was told, unlike other joint replacements, it could only be done once.
    • Posted

ANW - I had so little pain with mine!  They came round the second night at the hospital ready to get me pain meds and asked my level of pain.  My reply was 'what pain - I haven't got any'  and apart from one odd night and once when I'd pushed the bend too much (I had a very good bend right from the start) it's been odd times of slight discomfort and that's it!  The other knee has given me much more grief compared with the operated one LOL!  So yes, I am VERY optimistic for the future now!

• Posted

Oh she has to be very careful then.  Even knee replacements tend to be more problematic each time they are redone - that's why they prefer people to be a bit older before they start doing them if it's possible.  But they say no jogging or anything that continually jars the joint.  You need to look after them a bit:-))))  But the quality of life is SO much better having them!  I hope your cousin does well with her new ankles!

• Posted

Not so new any more.  I thnk it's been over ten years....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.