Treating osteopenia and osteoporosis

Posted , 18 users are following.

The more reading I have done lately the more concerned I am that people are starting their treatment for bone thinning with very dangerous medications rather than first trying the natural methods.  I'd like to hear from people who have tried natural methods to improve their bone health and whether they feel they have been successful, how they went about finding information, etc.  So far I have learned that exercise is important - weight bearing exercise which includes walking and tai chi, not just vigorous workouts at a gym!  Also we need to make sure we are getting all our micronutrients, including the Vitamins that help calcium go into our bones, not just get deposited on our blood vessel walls or into organs where it doesn't belong.  This means not only Vitamin D3, but also Vitamin K2, Vitamin A, Vitamin E and of course magnesium, boron and other nutrients.  Many are available from diet, although Vitamin K2 is hard to get in a modern Western diet so most of us are deficient.  i am horrified that the medical profession doesn't seem to know enough about nutrition to be able to guide us on this journey and we have to find our own way.  The medications on offer are terrifying.

5 likes, 196 replies

196 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi

I have a problem with exercise as well but its not lack of motivation.

As well as osteoporosis I have osteoarthritis all over my body.....the exercises are contradictary!!!!!!  OP  .......you are told swimming is no good  OA...swimmint is the best exercise

OP....High impact exercises....OA   low impact exercises   Help  LOL

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Ditto! (OA all over the place.  Only Osteo Penia though).  Excercise is a problem, isn't it?  Ashamed to say lack of motivation is my downfall.  When is one allowed to just 'give in' to old age and enjoy what we can, when we can?
    • Posted

I've got bad knee arthritis (was offered knee replacements years back but they since discovered I've got a connective tissue problem which makes knee replacement surgery more likely to fail so it won't happen now) and a bit of hip, plus wrists and so on, but the Tai Chi for Arthritis DVD was SO good - it did help the arthritis and general fitness, to the point we got an exercise bike which isn't putting too much stress on knees, and a treadmill, which does put a bit of stress on them (I limit what I do on there) BUT that helps the bone density.  I think once you get fitter, you're keener to do more exercise because you see the results of it and you feel better for it, and that DVD was such a good start.  I 'gave in' to old age a few years ago, felt rotten for it, and then got cancer, so this year has  been the year of getting healthy again and it's worked!
    • Posted

Well done Chris. It is all about getting started again with exercise. Once you begin to feel better - as you say - you are motivated to do more.  Keep going.
    • Posted

Thanks Soozib:-)))  I DEFINITELY will keep it going now and so will my husband.  We both feel so much better for it and now the weight is dropping off I can enjoy the odd treat too!  I have to admit that we've both got a little bit addicted to exercise now and wouldn't dream of a day without going on the bike and other stuff once or twice, but generally it's small bursts, four times a day:-)  We've both found it's so much easier having equipment here, to just pop on at the various times during the day.  It works for us:-)  Whereas I just couldn't be bothered to go to a swimming pool (and I used to be a swimming teacher!).
    • Posted

Chris, that's brilliant.  I agree that the first move is the hardest.  Because I have to take prednisone I was immediately freaked out by the possibility of osteoporosis (not knowing that I probably already was there, or at least at osteopenia before the pred) and bought a pedometer.  Now I can't imagine a day going by when I haven't got in my 10,000 steps.  Not all of them out walking, mind you, it includes all my daily activity, but I now know exactly how sedentary most of my day is!
    • Posted

A friend of mine has one of those and it's such a good idea, because you find out what you're doing and can increase it gradually!
  • Posted

I have always refused medication for OA and OP (Rheumy tried to force me on them - not my Rheumy any more)!!

Had a discussion about vibration plates with my Dr (excellent nan).  He said, according to the "new" thoughts/reports the machines seem to be having a good effect on RA, OA and OP.  Have ordered one.  Will let you know how I get on.

I have tried rub on gels for pain and TENS.  Not very successful I'm afraid.

I can never keep up with all these vitamin things.  What's in what?

Ah well.  Back to the sofa!!

• Posted

That is So interesting.  I thought I'd read some time back that vibration plates weren't advised for osteopenia or osteoporosis, so they're coming round to thinking it IS useful then.  I'll 'watch this space' and do a bit of research again on it now! Thanks Constance!
    • Posted

There are some in the gym I go to so will ask my trainer's opinion. He seems to know what he is doing. Thank you for your comments, Constance. A bit of humour always motivates, as does a nice young man as a personal trainer!
    • Posted

Constance, I had heard that the vibration plates are helpful, especiallay for people who for whatever reason are unable to do traditional forms of exercise.  Yes, please do let us know how you get on with that.

• Posted

I was interested in the vibration plate, but it seems they can cause problems for those who have prolapses, so not attempting that.  Sounds good if you can use them though!
  • Posted

Hello Anhaga

I feel exactly the same as you.  I was horrified when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis following a Dexa scan and immediately prescribed alendronic acid without detailed discussion of the results or alternative natural methods. The doctor in charge of the unit sent a letter to my GP saying that he should prescribe this "poison" for me.  I could not believe what my GP told me, when pressed, about possible side effects, so I did my own research and found out about osteoblasts and osteoclasts and more online. I also questioned friends of a similar age, around 70, and was amazed to find out that more people than I imagined are taking bisphosphonates without question. I also found that many of them had had unpleasant side effects. One friend of a friend is even suffering from osteonecrosis of the jaw, which is really terrible. I told my GP that I would not consider taking the medication. He sent me for blood tests. I was not surprised to find that results showed no need for any supplements because I have always paid great attention to my diet, love cooking and sunshine! If I had not tripped and broken my patella I would not have been put through any of this anxiety because I have no joint pain at all. Fortunately I had an excellent physiotherapist who gave me some exercises that have given me much better movement in the knee and more confidence, because once you suffer a fall later in life, lack of confidence and fear of falling again can be a problem. I have moved back to the gym, where I always enjoyed weight lifting and have a personal trainer who obviously understands and who takes me through a varied programme of weight-bearing exercises (not vigourous) plus some useful exercises to improve my balance. I can see clearly that my balance has improved and I am walking more quickly and normally. I still come downstairs like a crab! I had my fall over 4 months ago. I will continue with diet and exercise for one year and will then ask for another Dexa scan.  I will let you know how it goes. I know that I am very lucky and do not have the complications that some contributors to this forum have. I wish everyone the best in their efforts to find the best treatment for themselvesbiggrin

• Posted

Soozib, your experience is a bit like mine in that I had a leg fracture (tibial plateau) about 20 months ago.  I was not sent for a scan, just told that the bone was healing very well. It was at my request after having to take prednisone (for PMR) that I had the scan, and like you will pursue the natural path and have a new scan after a year.  I am currently also receiving low intensity light treatment, really to help my body overcome the inflammation of PMR so I can reduce the pred successfully, but I am hopeful there will also be good results for the osteoarthritis I have in my spine.
    • Posted

Hi Anhaga, I am not sure if you will be still on this forum but your post sounds very like me. Althought I have not broken anything I am on steroids for PMR and have just been diagnosed with full blown Osteroporisis. Can you tell me how the light treatment worked and if it helped you get off the steroids?
    • Posted

I think the light treatment did help me reduce my dose faster than it might otherwise have happened.  I have been at three or below (currently at 2.5 trying to get to 2) since last August, about fourteen months after starting pred.  My DXA scan in early Octover, a year after the first one, showed an improvement in bone density, main t-score improving from -2 to -1.6 and they are no longer recommending medications.  I was over 5 mg for over half the intervening year so I'm sure my exercise and the supplements I was taking were also very helpful.  

Light therapy doesn't claim to cure anything, but it does evidently lower the amount of inflammation, so that is what has helped me get my dose lower.   The disease, presumably, will have to burn itself out in its own time, but I honestly feel that everything I've done to help my bones has also helped the PMR.  Good Luck!

• Posted

Thanks Anhaga, I will certainly be looking into light treatment as I am on 23mg so if I can get to a lower dose quicker that would be great. 
    • Posted

That is pretty high for a starting dose.  I wonder why the doctors do that to people?  Whatever you do, please go as slowly as your body tells you you need to.  The priority has to be to control the symptoms of PMR.  But in my experience if you also do a load of other things to make yourself healthy that will really help.  I had thought I lived a healthy life, but there turned out to be big room for improvement!  If you can, walking is super.  I still walk my 10,000 steps a day.  And make sure you are getting all the right nutrients.  I think I probably outlined things in the post so won't repeat here, but if you want the little reading list I accumulated early on I can sent it to you by private message.

Light therapy is not available everywhere.  It started in Canada so is more widely availble here and in the US but there are many other countries which are getting interested.  It is usually offered by physiotherapists and chiropractors here.

• Posted

I know but struggled to jump from 25 to 20 and only through the forum found that I could get 1mg tablets so I am going down 1mg a week and that seems to be working. It is going to be a long process though. I am still trying to go to the gym but have sore shoulders and don't want to agrivate them. Walking is somthing that I should do more of. My diet is good, I think smile but your reading list will be very welcome. I want to do whatever I can to make things easier for myself. 

Not sure the light therapy is avialable here but will ask now that I know about it. 

• Posted

Yes, as Eileen says, it isn't slow if it works.  Going too fast will lead to a flare and the result of that is a higher lifetime load of steroid, so our best method is to sneak the body off it so slowly it doesn't notice!  

If I may suggest - if you are finding the usual workouts at the gym do not seem to be doing you much good right now, maybe cut back?  PMR is a fairly serious condition.  It doesn't kill us but your body is not well.  Pred may make you feel well, but it isn't curing anything.  So please don't overdo it.  Unfortunately this is your new normal, now.  There are some men on the forums who boast about how they have achieved remarkable results with their exercise regimens, but to my knowledge not a single woman has been able to do the same.  There is no doubt that men and women react to both PMR and pred differently and it is generally speaking harder for women.  So the short form of this note:  BE KIND TO YOURSELF.  If you'd broken a leg or had a debilitating flu no one, least of all yourself, would be expecting you to be just like your old self.  PMR is invisible, but it's there.  Google The Spoons Theory.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.