Scared that I have blood in stool or cancer

Posted , 6 users are following.

Some facts about me first: 

I'm 12

A bit overweight but I did manage to lose a few pounds with eating less fatty food and exercise more

Pretty sure no family history of any cancer, GI disorders/problem, yes

Pretty bad anxiety, been kinda stressed too

Ok, so for the past few months, I've been experiencing classic IBS symptoms and in almost all of my symptoms searching done on google, IBS shows up the most. So for like ever, I had these chunks in my stool (red and tomato skin like or food like) but however today, I was wiping and noticed a few super small red specks in my stool (I occasionally scoop up a piece of stool to investigate it, gross I know) there weren't a lot only a few that I could fine. I've been constipated for the past few days and have been straining (I just had diarrhea like a week or 2 right before, is it norms for IBS?). I also have a small cut right in the tissues around the butthole and it's STINGS when I poop or pee. I wiped and noticed a tiny trail of bright red blood, it's bright red but it's also faint because it's not bleeding a lot. Vaseline helps a lot but forgot to apply some last night. I'm not very concerned about this (I also wipe too hard most of the time too) but I'm more concerned about the red specks in my stool. So I be this worried? There's not a lot, a few specks here and there. My stool is light brown and there isn't any trace of red in the toilet water. I also have occasionally thin stool/flat. Would this be a part of IBS too? I've been feeling stressed and it kinda made my symptoms worse, Dr.Google really mess with your had sometimes. I'm having colon/rectal cancer scares because narrow stool is a symptoms. I don't also have narrow or pencil thin stool, it kinda always changes in shapes, size, color (no red or black tho, had dark brown a few times but not alot, usually light or medium). Consistency is a big one too! I don't have any weight loss, I gained one pound actually, whoops. Haven't had a fever in a long time. Loss of apetite yes, usually when I'm bloated but I usually really enjoy eating 😂.  I get frequently abdominal pain and cramps too. Lower left, lower abdomen, upper abdomen (usually with bloating). It would go away by itself but would decrease faster if i can poop. So yeah, please help, I have pretty bad health anxiety and there's state tests coming up in school. Could this be cancer?

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your symptoms do sound like IBS.  I have IBS and have had narrow, light coloured stools, stomach cramps, diarrhoea and constipation with nausea.  I have never had a fissure but this is common with IBS.  Do not worry and don’t google your symptoms. Worry intensifies IBS.  Simply ask your parents to take you to the doctor to verify your symptoms.  At the age of 12, cancer would be extremely rare.  Exams will cause you stress and stress causes IBS; health anxiety is also common with IBS.
    • Posted

A cut near your anus sounds like a fissure; fissures can bleed.  However, you should still see your doctor for a proper diagnosis.
    • Posted

Cake, please I urge you to go to a doctor, I know you are probably embarrassed and stressed out, and although you probably do not have anything serious, I can almost bet you, cake, please I urge you to go to a doctor, I know you are probably embarrassed and stressed out, and although you probably do not have anything serious, I can almost bet you,   I know at your age this is extremely embarrassing, but trust me a lot of people have what you are going through and it is not uncommon. Dr. see this kind of stuff all the time and it is nothing to them.  If you are too shy to talk to your parents, maybe you can speak with your school nurse? Or a teacher,  relative,  or someone that is an adult you trust.  It sounds like we all agree on here that your symptoms are not anything life-threatening, but again we all urge you to talk to a doctor.
  • Posted

Its always good to get yourself check if you feel that something is not right with the body. This is the first thing you should do. Nut whatever symptoms you are talking about is more related to Hemorrhoids. Improper food habit like fast food, low-level intake of water, excessive smoking and drinking, long hours of sitting, etc. All these are the major reason for Hemorrhoids. When you suffer from this, your poop becomes hard. It does not let you pass gas. Due to this, you feel abdominal pain. And when hard poop passes it cuts the soft lining of the intestine. This can be the reason you might have found blood while passing stool. Again I m advising you to get yourself checked.

• Posted

Thomas, I am so glad you mention these things because you just reiterated everything I said. The good news is it sounds like this is a problem that can be cured or helped significantly with little changes. Katie definitely needs to talk to an adult  and see a doctor. 
    • Posted

Well the thing is, I pass a lot of gas actually. Maybe not soooo excessive but I don't sometimes fart a lot😂😂

• Posted

Hi Kay I was your age when I first started with health anxiety, I should have gone to the DRs and that could probably alleviated the years and years of constant worry that no diagnosis caused, please go to your Mum and tell her or even show how this thread so she can see how worried you are, it's not that I think you have cancer at all, absolutely not.

But I would like to think you can get control of this before it takes over your life, my son at the age of 13/14 showed classic symptoms of anxiety/panic disorder but because we were able to talk about it and I was able to talk to him whenever it occurred he was able to deal with it and never felt bad about it, he also knew I had enough medical background to take him doctor's office felt it was necessary, only happened once, he had concussion.

I also think your bowel symptoms are more to do with anxiety than IBS and I'm sure that once your levels are lowered and possibly a change of diet those will also improve.

If for some reason you can't talk to your mum or dad then can you think of someone else to confide in

• Posted

Anxiety and IBS are lnked.  When you have intense anxiety, this can lead to IBS; this is what happened to me.   IBS is very common in youngsters.
    • Posted

Hi Pippa I agree IBS and anxiety disorders are definitely linked, I have never come across someone who has zero anxiety and has IBS I'm not saying it's unheard of just I have never seen it, what I am saying is that if Kay gets her anxiety under control she will probably be able to have better bowel habits and with some medication for her piles/feisures and reassurance she can leads a much happier adult life.

I was diagnosed with IBS in my early 20s so I do have some idea of the symptoms and causes as it's 40 years of it, I also have diagnosed UC to add to it ??

• Posted

You are absolutely right with all you say. With all the talk of the additives in food I am wondering if this is what is causing the younger generation to have IBS.
    • Posted

IBS can be caused by lifestyle factors like modern diets, stress, stomach infections and abdominal surgery.  A lot of youngsters rely on processed food which is bad for the gut.  I also think youngsters have a lot more pressure on them, education and employment wise.
    • Posted

Calming down anxiety does help a lot and has brought my IBS under control so it doesn’t control my life.   That is awful that you have IBD as well.
    • Posted

Hi Kay Kay IBS is irritable bowel syndrome, it was called overactive bowel when I was first diagnosed with plus other names, it's a none inflammatory condition unlike UC and chrones which both cause quite bad bloody diahrea and ulcers etc on the lining of the bowel, I also have microscopic colitis which goes deeper into the tissue of the Colon, having IBS does not lead to this or cancer but having the other two can but doesn't necessarily lead to bowel cancer.

Diet and stress can make any of them worse though

• Posted

Hi Pippa thanks, funny because I was more stressed being diagnosed with IBS in my 20s than when I was told I have UC
    • Posted

Oh thank goodness. I read this and went into instant panic mode (had bad cramps feeling after). I thought IBS can lead to IBD diseases with can lead to cancer. I think you were so used to symptoms of IBS that UC doesn't effect you much lol. But best of luck! Hopefully for me, it's just IBS and nothing too serious/life threatening.

• Posted

When I got diagnosed with IBS, it cured my health anxiety and  really improved my symptoms.  It was the lack of diagnosis that triggered my panic and anxiety.
    • Posted

When I got diagnosed with IBS, it cured my health anxiety and  really improved my symptoms.  It was the lack of diagnosis that triggered my panic and anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.