Scarf and Akin Osteotomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm living in Sydney Australia and find it hard getting soft well padded shoes to wear after having the scarf and akin osteotomy done last June 24. Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone know where is the best place buying them? Maybe the people in England may be able to give me a website for them, which would be nice. What have you been wearing since your operation? My foot is fairly swollen, red and sore.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. Sorry to hear about your foot. I had the same procedure around the same time. I am now wearing normal shoes. Joseph Seibal are really good and they have a wide fitting and a number of models with Velcro at the front to adjust. Also Keen sandals are great and are closed in at the front to protect your toes if you are in the outdoors. I think you can buy similar at Katmandu. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    • Posted

Thanks Simone for replying. You're very lucky being able to wear normal shoes after your operation 2 months ago. I will look around for Keen sandals as I've never heard of them before. So far I've bought two pairs of Homy-Ped sandals which has velcro strapping around the heel and elastised between the leather topping which are fine. Comfort and Fit shoe stores have orthopaedic shoes with some made in Germany with the price starting from $200. Is your foot still swollen and if so have you been elavating it? Where did you have your operation?
  • Posted

I found myself living in a old pair of ecco sandals, till I found some more by 'Timberland', I guess both are readily available in Australia. They are not cheap but well made and worth it. One of the things I noticed was that my 'old' shoes/sandals were less comfortable than new ones for some time. I suspect this was due to the fact that the older footwear had adjusted to the shape that the foot used to be and so was out of shape for the 'new' foot. Its an excuse to but some new sandals with adjustable straps, shoes were impractical as they were all too tight on the swollen foot. Kevin
    • Posted

Hi Tettin, thanks for replying my message. I searched online for the Timberland shoes which can be bought here in Sydney Australia but for the time being I wouldn't be able to get my swollen foot into any of them. I tried on shoes at the 'Comfort and Fit' store today having the same problem. For the time being I'm wearing Homy-ped sandals which have a velcro strap around the heel and partly elastised across the top of the leather shoe which helps. Comfort and Fit orthopaedic shoes are made in Germany and other parts of Europe and are well made. Prices start from $200 and are well worth the price. Maybe I have to keep my foot elaveted more keeping the swelling down.
  • Posted

Finally someone in Sydney. I have been following this blog for a while. I had my op last Thursday and so far so good. The hardest hing about it is loosing your independence I must say. Interesting the hear about the shoes. My bunion had got so bad that I was basically lived in crocs. I am on crutches for 2 weeks, haven't worked out the best way to carry things. Like now I am upstairs and kids gone to school and uni, husband at work and I want a cup of tea. .....

i am am making lists so maybe just one trip down the stairs a day. Love reading about everyone experience. It seems we are all the same but different!

• Posted

Hi fran64059, did you have a bunionectomy or scarf and akin osteotomy foot operation? I'm surprised you only have to stay on crutches for two weeks wherefore I was on mine for 6 weeks. I found the best way carrying groceries but not too many, was to tie the bags on both outer sides of your crutches. That was the only way I could manage. Also I draped my handbag over my neck and shoulder keeping in in the front of me so that it didn't hit the crutches. Hard but I sort of managed while shopping and catching public transport. Losing independence is hard and that's why its best getting out and about a few times a week if possible. As for the stairs, I put my sore foot on the first step coming down with the right foot on the same step and carry on in that manner while holding on to the railing and not using your crutches and going up the stairs, I start with my sore foot and walk normaly as there's no pressure on it. Are you wearing a weight-bearing boot? I had to wear mine for six weeks, even to bed. Was told to keep it on at all times, which I did. Sorry it has taken me so long replying your message. I had a problem with the computer. Take care and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • Posted

Ha more people from down under. I am in New Zealand and had my scarf osteotomy a week ago today. I have very little pain but am doing my best to sit all day with foot elevated. Had to stop the drugs as I was hallucinating during the night and couldn't sleep. Just taking arnica and rescue remedy. Interesting about the shoes, I hadn't given that much thought yet, got this lovely open toe sandal/ geisha block happening at the moment....middle of winter too.
    • Posted

wow what drugs were you taking Amanda? I am taking Panadene Forte.
    • Posted

They gave me tremadol which I didn't take as I felt nauseous but other than that I had pan adenine and an anti inflammatory . I think it was the ombination mixed with anaesthetic that dud it. No worries not taken anything since Saturday . That's good about the dressing today. I also had a neuroma removed and a tendon lengthened. I am home till next Thursday when I go back for the stitches out etc, can't wait to see it!
    • Posted

Hi Amanda18539 best of luck with your recovery. Best keeping your foot elevated higher than your heart as what I was told. Are you wearing a weight-bearing boot at all times? Mine was on for six weeks and had to even wear it to bed which was awkward. I can imagine your foot being cold being the middle of winter. Freezing!!! It's now two months since my operation and I'm wearing Homy-Ped sandals which has velcro around the heel and elastised in the middle of the leather topping which is comfortable. If you have a Comfort and Fit store in NZ they sell wide fitting shoes made in Europe with the price starting from $200. Expensive but well made and worth it. Did your doctor tell you it will take eight months for the swelling to go down? What medication were you on that made you hallucinate? I was taking Endone (Morphine) and Oxycontin for two weeks which caused constipation, then Panendine. Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery.
    • Posted

Hi, yes I am wearing a weight bearing shoe, even to bed too, yes it's fun! I will have it on for another 6 weeks I think then I can start the shoe search. I think my hallucinating was a combination of drugs with the aneasthetics. They weren't abnormal drugs just pan adenine and an anti inflammatory . Good luck with your continued recovery.
  • Posted

Went for my 10 day check and had the big padded bandage taken off and replaced with a smaller one. My doctor said I could weight bear as much as I am comfortable....it hurts though! He also said to weane myself off the pain killers, think I will put that one off for another day or so. My foot is swollen and bruised, not a pretty site, but it is strange with the bunion gone.....like I am looking at someone else's foot!......The surgical sandel has to stay on for 6 weeks though....my toes don't wiggle independently so there is physio coming up....it certainly is a journey but seeing all the people in the waiting room, and you people on this forum, it is very common surgery these days. Mine was key hole, with the tendon cut and shortened now there is no bunion. I also had a neuroma fixed, so a little more physio for that......haven't thought about shoes yet...only bad thing about the surgical sandel is that my toes get cold as it is winter here......and we are having a couple of weeks of rain!!! I love this forum, as we all help each other.......and we don't really want to bore our friends!
  • Posted

My first visit to the physio today. Because I had a neurectomy as well as the scarf/chevron osteotomy he had to massage my foot. It was actually nice to talk to someone in person who understood. Though the foot was aching later in the day.  After saying I would be on my crutches for 2 weeks I must have been dreaming. The surgeon said I could start walking without them around the house it is a painful hobble. I can't see myself getting rid of them for ages.

I don't have to wear he boot to bed like so many other people are saying. I just have a tight sleeve bandage.

• Posted

Hi Fran, I felt lop-sided wearing the weight-bearing boot until I wore a heeled boot on my good foot correcting my posture. I used the crutches for six weeks while out of the house. My foot is still swollen, not much movement with my toes but its getting there. The scar is hardly visible. I can't wear any other shoe apart from Homy-peds for the time being. Its now three months since my op and all is going well. Please let me know how you're feeling and how is the swelling on your foot? Good luck!!!
  • Posted

Hi again goanna, just wondering when you started to try to move the joint after your op. I have had the same as you and am 3 and a half weeks post op. Not sure if I should start yo try yo wiggle the joint. I hVe had no instruction from the surgeon and don't see him for another 2 weeks? Amanda
    • Posted

Amanda I am 4 weeks today. I have been going to the physio twice a week for the last 2 weeks. He is massaging my foor carefully, though it was frightening to start with....has made a massive difference. He gets me to try and scrunch my toes, do stars with them, and try and made them go together. Also lots of ankle rotation.   This has been just what ithe foot needed. It has cost a lot I must admit, but this is an investment in my health......hope this helps.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.