sciatica

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello,i would like opinions on whether or not i can safely carry on with back exercises with my two new knees.

the exercises are the ones advocated by Robin McKenzie in his book "treat your own back" and i specifically refer to the one where you lie completely flat,face down,totally relaxed and then push up with your hands and do a half press up. This bends the spine and helps reinforce the Lordosis.

i have found this procedure extremely helpful in keeping my sciatica at bay and wish to carry on with it.

the question is,will my knees be ok for this?

What think you,o people of the forum?

i should add i used to be terribly afflicted with sciatica,until this book saved my life.

Yours

Mike

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How about if you ask your doctor or your physical therapist?
    • Posted

Thanks Jen ,I will,I just wondered if anyone else had tried this,I have and it feels not quite right. Ta for your reply.

Best

Mike

• Posted

You didnt say how far out you are and if your incisions have fully healed. Def ask ur doc or PT. i got ok and have been doing that very stretch since 5 wks. Now 9.5.
  • Posted

Hi Mike

I cant see this being a problem but if you are worried have a word with your GP or whoever is doing you physio

good luck.

• Posted

Mike I recenly hurt my back and am about 10 weeks post TKR. I have been doing that exercise you describe for my back. How long ago did you have your knee replacements?
    • Posted

hi there,funnily enough I too am ten weeks post tkr.

I can go through the motions of the press up but don't have confidence in the way the knees are reacting to touching the ground. It's therefore a half hearted attempt when I would like to be more positive with it. 

Have you been using that exercise during tkr recovery ?

• Posted

Yes, I have been doing this exercise but only in the past week.
    • Posted

Start on bed. I still dont kneel yet. I use a pad when on floor. You can place small towel just above knees, on thigh, to help take direct pressure off of knees. I use the bed for a ton of stretching exercises. I have a pretty firm mattress, lol.

smile

• Posted

Right,this explains everything,so thanks very much.  I have been using the floor as I always did. I was led to believe that a floor was the way to achieve best results with this exercise.

it now makes sense to employ a softer surface even though you have a firm mattress it's still preferable to using the floor.

saved,Thankayou .

Mike

• Posted

thank you,I'm glad I asked the question now,I doubt if I would have thought of using the bed.

but it makes a lot of sense,less pressure on the knees,and easier to get back up!

here's to you.

Mike

• Posted

Your welcome smile I'm sure it's a little better on the floor but in our condition I feel it's best to do them on the bed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.