Sciatica pain caused by knee problems

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had knee problems for several yrs. Had surgery twice...ACL repair. I started having problems again back in January...had an injection and a couple weeks later things got worse. Started having problems with my lower back and sciatica nerve. Went back to the Dr did xrays and MRI and going to have a TKR in April. Now because of the way I was favoring my other leg I'm having a heck of a time with my sciatic nerve killing me with excruciating pain. MY ? is has anyone else had this problem and if so did it get better after surgery?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes! I had pretty bad sciatica before & after surgery. it took physical therapy & seeing a chiropractor to lessen it. what really has helped me is doing warm water aerobics. I am 10 months post op now and I am walking almost normal ( the other knee needs replacement) with no sciatica pain.

• Posted

Just wondering if this hindered your recovery time and if so about how long do you think it set you back?

• Posted

No not really. I was in so much pain anyway I just muscled through it. The recovery in general is pretty rough which seems to be the norm. But at 4 or 5 months I began to feel more normal again.

• Posted

I has RTKR 2 yrs ago, That leg is mot an issue. but in December i started with sciatica in my left leg/hip. I went to chiropracter who told me to see my surgeon.The pain woke me up from sound sleep. Sure enough, my left knee is bone on bone. I'm getting LTKR on MAY 23. I received a cortisone injection in my knee & it stopped the sciatica. I wouldn't have thought the two would be related.

• Posted

Other Pain After a TKR

Sciatica

I got hit with it 5 weeks post-TKR. Fairly common when considering the first post, above. Go see a chiropractor. Your hips could be out of line or SI joints locked thereby pinching the nerve. Chiro plus some Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) plus heat/ice and it will be gone in a few weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.