Sciatica Pain Killers Help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please help!

Im a 30 year old man my wife and i have 10 month old twins which is hard work even for a fit person!

Ive been in and out if my work for the last few months due to the pain and can take much more.

I’ve had and MRI scan and its revealed i have an l5s1 protrusion of the disc with compression of the right S1 canal slightly narrowed. I’ve been advised if the pain is not any better in 12 weeks after physio to speak to a neurosurgeon, which i dont really want to do. I’ve been to a chiropractor and also an osteopath for there opinion but my NHS  physio has told me not to as this would make the protrusion worse.I have been prescribed several types of medication over the course of the last few months such as -naproxen, 2mg diazepam, solpadol.Amitriptyline, tramadol and iboprufren gel.None of these had any effect.I am now on gabbapentin 300mg 3 times a day which i have started double dosing as this is still not taking the nerve pain away.Can any one advise any other painkillers that will help? Taking solpadol with he gabbapentin helps slightly and so does the diazepam but the GP is not willing to give any substantial amount of them out. I am also doing all the stretches provided by the physio but seem to be getting no where. I really need to get back to fitness for my childrens sake and my work.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

At your age, I suggest do everything you can to avoid surgery but if it comes to a laminectomy or something similar you will probably be Ok as you are young. I've tried taking PEA phosptatidylethanolamide supplement to my pregabalin which is similar to gabapentin and it helps to enhance effect so u don't have to take higher doses. A disc protrusion can heal itself with time the correct exercises and good nutrition. Have you tried blasting it with anti inflammatory meds for a week? No longer, no longer?

• Posted

PS somebody also recently recommended kinesiology to me. I haven't tried it yet

• Posted

Hi Maggie

Thanks for your reply, the only anti inflammatory meds I’ve been prescribed is naproxen and the iboprufen gels. Ive been taking them just as much as the doctor had prescribed on the side of the packaging. Twice a day for the naproxen each one for when ive had a meal. Then another GP gave me the gel instead to take 3 times a day but not to take the naproxen with them as it could cause an overdose.

Regards Aidan.

• Posted

Well I think you'd need to get the inflammatory response under control. I suggest you return to your gp and ask for some more effective anti inflammatory

• Posted

So interested in PEA, how are you finding it Maggie? Reading good stuff about it and thinking of ordering some, do you find it really helps?
    • Posted

Hi Maggie

Do you have any suggestions on what would be better anti inflammatory? My GP surgery is an absolute shambles its a different locom GP ive seen every time in the last month, one of them actually asked me what prescription i wanted them to write up, I told them your the proffesional you tell me!! 

Regards Aidan 

• Posted

I'm on co-codamol, gabapentin and Naproxen (max dose) for back pain and severe sciatica affecting feet (2 x disk bulge) - I honestly don't rate Naproxen, gabapentin is so-so - even on max dose I'm in bad pain so looking to switch this soon. Co-co honestly does work but leaves me a bit of a zombie, however, without it, struggle to move (but so addictive alas). Tried lyrica, did nothing. Noritriptyline (sp?) I may want to try but it apparently leaves you very dehydrated in general, another spaced out drug. Also TENS machine and varying bits and bobs that don't really touch the nerve pain (NHS won't operate so stuck with trying anything I can). Different drugs work in different ways for people though and there are more options for you to try. Hope all goes well and your pain improves soon.

• Posted

Hi Karen

I also feel as if naproxen has not made any difference what so ever, the gels do help maybe for about an about then ware off. Tried the Amitryptiline was told to take that before bed it did help get a good sleep but as soon as you wake up its instant pain again.I think im going to go with trying the max dose of gabbapentin a day a (3600mg) if that does not help then it’ll be another visit to the GP to try something else i suppose.  If you try anything new that helps please let me know. I now need to  to get to work which  involves stting down, i am dreading it, sitting down is by far the worst thing for the symtoms to increase.

Kind Regards Aidan.

• Posted

I would see a good neurosurgeon if it won’t improve on its own. Medications only mask the issue. You are young and pending no other medical issues, should recover fine if you need a discecomy or micro-discectomy. Best of luck. 
    • Posted

Hi Melissa 

That seems to the be route i need to go down, every person I’ve spoken to with my condition has eventually needed surgery 😔

Kind Regards Aidan.

• Posted

I used to be a spinal surgery ward and ICU nurse. Just make sure you feel and confident with the surgery you may eventually choose. It sounds like it would be a simple discectomy/ microdiscectomy to relieve the pressure on the nerve root. It makes sense as you said sitting makes the pain worse (compression of the vertebra pushing bludging disc further onto nerve root). There are usually strict precautions for 6 weeks and it a few months to recover but as long as you follow the recovery guidelines well, you should be ok. Melissa 
  • Posted

Hi again

If you decide on surgery just be absolutely sure you go to the best neurosurgeon you can find. Recovery is slow and not always without complications. I had surgery 10 months ago and I'm still suffering. Hopefully you will be instantly cured. Explore all the other options first.

Don't rush into it.

Get fully informed

Watch u tube videos on your condition, there as re hundreds of physiotherapy exercises you can try.

Stop doing whatever it is tht brings on the pain

• Posted

Hi Maggie

Im an electrician as well i think thats what caused a lot of the problems so it will make the recovery even harder.

I have tried lots of videos on you tube, they do ease the pain, but again its back within a couple of hours.

I keep hearing different opinions of people saying go back to work and keep active and then others say rest, I put in a couple of hard shifts in the last 2 days and this morning i was unable to walk. The sciatica in my right leg was so unbearable i couldnt even support my own weight on it. 

I need a quick soloution as the twins are nearly crawling now and im starting to get terrified of how hard it will be with them!

Kind Regards Aidan.

• Posted

What kind of surgery did you have ? I’m definitely going zthe surgery route. I’ve tried EVERYTHING. I am getting my final epidural shot and then I will be a candidate for surgery.
    • Posted

Hi genie

I had L4-5 laminectomy and fusion.

I've got spinal canal stenosis, scoliosis and a bit of as twist so I'm probably not an easy patient

• Posted

Thanks Maggie, I’m sorry we all are going through this. I have been suffering with severe sciatica for 9mos 😢. I’ll pray for us both.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.