Sciatica Pain Killers Help!

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please help!

Im a 30 year old man my wife and i have 10 month old twins which is hard work even for a fit person!

Ive been in and out if my work for the last few months due to the pain and can take much more.

I’ve had and MRI scan and its revealed i have an l5s1 protrusion of the disc with compression of the right S1 canal slightly narrowed. I’ve been advised if the pain is not any better in 12 weeks after physio to speak to a neurosurgeon, which i dont really want to do. I’ve been to a chiropractor and also an osteopath for there opinion but my NHS  physio has told me not to as this would make the protrusion worse.I have been prescribed several types of medication over the course of the last few months such as -naproxen, 2mg diazepam, solpadol.Amitriptyline, tramadol and iboprufren gel.None of these had any effect.I am now on gabbapentin 300mg 3 times a day which i have started double dosing as this is still not taking the nerve pain away.Can any one advise any other painkillers that will help? Taking solpadol with he gabbapentin helps slightly and so does the diazepam but the GP is not willing to give any substantial amount of them out. I am also doing all the stretches provided by the physio but seem to be getting no where. I really need to get back to fitness for my childrens sake and my work.Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Try voltaren 50mg three times a day. You need to take it with food. Plus a local topical 1% voltarol gel. You could also try celecoxib which is a slow release formulation so take 2 tablets per day, one am and one PM. The doses start at 100mg per tablet. Stop the anti inflammatory after one week I take pregabalin as well.
    • Posted

Hi Maggie

Thanks for the advice i will pass this on to my GP but no doubt i will get offered something useless like asprin instead!

Regards Aidan.

• Posted

Hi Aidan, i have had  a bad back (bulging disk) touching sciatic nerve  3 years ago. This caused me altered skin sensations and numbness. I was on amitriptyline  for 2 years and had a bad time coming off it but it did help me. I eventually came off it in december 2017 and my back became sore again in december. I started physio 8th jan and developed sciatica in my left leg in march but, mild, it was in my buttock and foot too. This has now spread to both legs and buttocks. I have been on naproxen for months had diazapam ( like you cant be prescribed anymore as addictive). I am currently on gabapentin  and cry daily due to this awful pain. My gp has referred me back to physio as this ended 20th june ( even though i was in pain still). I go again in 2 weeks. I feel so sad that this is how i am and have been for months. Keep me posted if something helps please. 
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

I feel your pain, i woke up at 3am this morning in agony couldnt find any position that was able to get me back to sleep.I went down stairs to try and find pain killers, i was so tired and angry god only knows what i took, i think it was about 4x 10mg diazepam and 2x 300mg gabbapentin. Ive also found sleeping with my legs up rested on  an elevated position such as lying on the couch with your legs on the arm rests to take the pressure of the lower back. It also helps putting a cushion under your lower back and head whilst doing this to keep the body straight. Ive just ordered one of those wedge pillows off ebay to see if it makes things a bit easier.

Hope your pain eases up a bit Amanda

Kind Regards Aidan.

• Posted

Hi again Aidan. I have come off gabapentin last night as doing nothing apart from making me feel nauseous and tired (only on 100 mg x 3 daily, and only been on it 5 days). Tbh am not sure if gabapentin has made it worse or if its the stretches as standing is horrendous now. I have to keep moving. My back does not feel too bad its the bilateral leg pain, buttocks thighs and calfs, it is only eased when I lay down and am still. When laying if I want to move onto my side my thighs and buttocks almost go into cramps. Im going back to the gp tomorrow. They will not send me for another MRI. X
    • Posted

Hi Amanda

I just was reading your replies and I'm in same condition as you ,

Unable to sleep ,sit, walk I have another appointment in 20 days

I have no life other than this awful pain , I was just wondering did u manage to get help or find something for the pain .I tried chiropractor a few times now and on the day it feels a little less painful then by night it's the same ..

Hope you are ok

• Posted

Hi Mimm14 

You need to try Gabbapentin, ive tried basically every thing else and its the only thing thats helped. It’s worked so good im afraid to stop taking it incase the pain comes back. The sciatica down my leg is completely gone, I just have slight pain where my bulging disk is.

Hope you get better!

• Posted

Hi mimm, i went to a chiropractor thursday  tbh the manipulation was and did not hurt but, he stated my disc is bulging s1 region and causing my pain my muscles are so tight. He performed deep muscular massage which, was agony. I got home applied ice like he said and i took a cocodamol and slept better. I was in the same pain the following day and again used ice to help however, today i have been a little better and have not cried today. I am doing the abdominal  core exercises he gave me and he advised not to do the exercises the physio gave me. I go again on monday so hoping things are going to get better. x 
  • Posted

Feel for you both, have been at the same pain levels for 2.5 years now (previously just back pain and sciatica, now nerve issues affecting both feet and left leg). Tried everything and still think surgery would help, but NHS won't do it. One thing I'd say Aidan is that that's a very high level of diazepam, please be careful, it slows your breathing and can stop your heart. I'm on max dose of everything now but still won't take more, even when in agony, the risk of all of them combined is huge. Wishing you both some recovery, a reduction in pain, or answers, other than the right pillows/cushions/TENS/heat and cold packs I can't suggest more as tried nerve blocks, epidural injections, physio, acupuncture and didn't personally work for me, but may be worth a go if either of you haven't tried all of those? How about an SCS? Not easy to get, recommended to me by the surgeon but nowhere near even talking to the pain clinic about one as yet, work great for some, not for others, but it is a surgery of sorts with recovery and invasive x

• Posted

Hi Karen

The only thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is the meds such as solpaol, diazepam and gabbapentin. I feel as if all the other procedures are just masking the pain temporarily. Im pretty certain im booking a neurosurgeon in the next few weeks, i feel as if im missing out on the best years of my twins lives. 

Kind Regards Aidan. 

• Posted

Hi Karen

I just got home from osteopath who suggested Neurological Rehabilitation . It's a kind of physiotherapy that works specifically on nerve function. I'm going to give it a shot.

• Posted

I really do understand, but please be careful. I also take diaz, but not near that amount, plus gaba, naproxen and highest dose solf. Trying 5-HTP soon, it's supposed to help relax for sleep, will see if it does any good at all. Must admit, given the choice I'd jump at surgery too, but it's off the table, so to speak. Have had a relative go through every surgery just about and none of them helped her. Made her worse, that's worth bearing in mind, it's not a solution for everyone. Failed back surgery can knacker you in for life. Just a consideration. For your twins, please be careful with diaz, at those levels, I know it's hard. Wishing you all the best with it all.

• Posted

Hi Maggie, that sounds interesting, not heard of it before. I'm more affected by the nerve pain so trying all I can to reduce that, the back pain is secondary. If I get to the pain clinic I'll mention it thanks. Wishing you the best.

• Posted

p.s how long has it been Aidan? Since all this started. If it's only been months, hold fire!! Plenty of time for you to try loads of different treatments. If it's been years, that's different.

• Posted

Hi Karen/ Maggie

I am also going to an osteopath right now as we we speak, he is a bit of a butcher lol, its been going on for about 7 months now, we have a family business and im really needed back at work so thats why im also trying to find a quick solution. I actually have to try and source the diazepam from other places as the GP will only give me 6 tablets a week which is a joke really.

Kind Regards Aidan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.