Scleritis Relief, hope, possibly !?

Posted , 20 users are following.

So for the last month i have been doing research like crazy, like I'm sure all of you have,

i did a lot of research of vitamins and other stuff, but the vitamins caught my attention Especially the Vitamin C research.

but i had an AH HA! moment 3 days ago!

About a week and a half ago my scleritis of a month, started to clear up, but 3 days later it returned and i couldn't figure out what the heck??

it came to me that during the time that it was clearing up i had ran out of bottled water....so instead of running out to the store feeling bad, i decided just to drink what was in the house....i had milk and OJ. with no intentions i ended up drinking the whole half gallon of orange juice  in the 2 days....

Now I'm thinking could it be that simple?!??

Vitamin C = Scleritis Gone?? no way! so i decided to google " vitamin c and Scleritis"

i got a couple of results of just the usual "these vitamins will help scleritits" but then i came across a doctor/ophthalmologist form Indiana that claims that he prescribes a High dosages of vitamin C to his patients along with other stuff and some of his patients have even felt relief with in a couple of hours!! 

Could it really be that simple??!!??

well I'm going to put it to the test and see if this theory test out! i would drink OJ for the rest of my life if it meant that i didn't have to deal with this pain!

I Started yesterday just drinking a small glass of OJ about every 1 hr and though its not gone i definitely can tell that it is starting to clear up....the redness is not gone but its not bright red anymore, the pain to the touch is not as bad and i have only had to take 2 NSAIDS today instead of the usual 6 for pain.

I looked up this doctor, unfortunately he passed away back in may 2017, at 90 something yrs old! The dosages he prescribes of vitamin c are really high...I'm not sure that im going to take the dosages that are that high but i will up my OJ game and see how it goes! i figure it cant hurt me to drink a little extra OJ!

But for what its worth, I wanted to put it out there, to help anyone....cause i know the info on this is limited... Hope this helps!

heres hoping for relief for you all!

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lauren,

I don't really have answers to your question about gluten but I have read that some people with autoimmune issues have had good results by cutting back or eliminating gluten from their diet. I have been taking vitamin C supplements and drinking orange juice daily since I read the post from Misty. I still have had flare ups but not as frequently. I have no idea if it's the vit. C or other things but I'm still going to take it.

I'm glad your pain is gone and I hope you find what you need to go into full remission. I'm sorry I can't be of much help but I wanted to let you know that someone cares and wishes the best for you!

Cathy

• Posted

Cathy,

Do you take high dose Vit C every hour or a maintenance dose? I forget to take C every hour but im sure i can do it once a day.

Thanks

Dalia

• Posted

Dalia,

I just take a vitamin once a day but I drink oj throughout the day. It's only 1000 mg so not really even a mega dose. If I feel a flare up starting, I use the prednisolone eye drops immediately.

I don't know if this helps you, or if it's right, it's just what I do. Good luck!

• Posted

i have also been reading about celery juice for inflammation

i started a week ago and will add vitamin C how this works

thank you

• Posted

your post is real helpful. i have been undergoing the treatment for past 4 months now and methotrax n predcor eye drops does not give me that relief. are you taking the oj for entire day ?? how many litres are you consuming. also howz your eye now after this experiment.

• Posted

I drink about 12 to 16 oz. of oj a day and take 1,000 mg. vitamin C supplement every day. It's probably not the mega doses that others were talking about. I have other autoimmune issues and take medication for them so I really don't know what is helping. Sorry I can't be of more help to you as far as the vitamin C!

• Edited

I was diagnosed with sclreitis, ireitis, and uveitis about a year ago. I also have rheumatoid arthritis. my rheumatologist and Opthomologist wanted me to take stronger biologics to control the inflammation but I didn't want to go that route so I sought a naturalpathic doctor to see if he could help. He did some research and discovered that sulfites can cause eye inflammation. So he put me on a no sulfite diet for two weeks and then had me add back foods containing sulfites to see my reaction. i do have a sulfite sensitivity and have to avoid certain foods. once i did that my scleritis improved greatly to the point that my eye doctor said there was no trace of scleritis. needless to say this is not a cure all i do have to watch what i eat. i hope my experience helps others suffering from scleritis. Sulfites are found naturally in foods (garlic, onions, cauliflower, etc) and added in frozen foods, wine and coffee . I've gone organic and also read food labels to make sure i avoid it as much as possible.

• Posted

thank You very much for your advice. It's so simple and so natural.

• Edited

hey, I just wanted to let you know that this has been a very interesting journey for me with the episcleritis. Sometimes, its just been debilitating. I got this maybe about 7 years ago and I remember someone saying it was 'catching'. I moved from the Uk to Dubai and the sand and dust were just the worst aggravating my eyes even more. I tried an opthalmologist who insisted it was dry eyes. I then went somewhere else and they diagnosed this correctly. I was given the steroid drops etc..... It still kept coming back! so I went back and the eye doctor confirmed its a skin problem and then explained its a collagen issue. I saw this thread and did some research and thought it can't hurt and started taking high dose vitamin c. My eyes are 90% better now and there are no nodules. Sometimes I can have a small flare up interestingly when I have had stomach acid. If I do have a small flare up then the steroid drops just calm the anger now but its only small. I wanted to wait a couple of months before I wrote this because its a time will tell thing! However, nothing else has changed apart from the vitamin c. I really hope that this helps someone out there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.