Scoliosis SOS Clinic

Posted , 30 users are following.

Hi All,

Does anyone with scoliosis/kyphoscoliosis know anything about, or tried, the non-surgical treatment for scoliosis and postural correction at the Scoliosis SOS Clinic in London?  I'm giving this some serious consideration but it's expensive and is a huge commitment.  Just thought it would be useful if there was anyone out there who had knowledge of it/tried it.

Curvey

0 likes, 83 replies

83 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Zoey,

You'll see the Moderator's comments about emails and photos.  I'll send PM to you.

Curvey

• Posted

Hi Curvey

I have just joined this forum and seen your message - I am in the same position,looking at the clinic and wondering if it's worth the money. I've decided to go for the initial consultaiton at £75 (next week) and see what they have to say - the price they quoted me was £3675 so it's a huge outlay. On the other hand, I have spent a fortune over the years on physio, Alexander Technique etc. From reading up on chat forums, it seems that the clinic may benefit those with mild curves than more serious ones. Mine is mild but it causes anything from discomfort to quite strong pain just about every day - I can't remember what it feels like to be pain-free. Now I'm 49 it's starting to get worse, my hip often gives way and my shoulder is starting to hurt - I thought the consultation might be worth doing just to see if these issues are linked to the curve, my physio who I see for monthly maintenance, thinks they are.

Let me know what you decide to do and I'll let you know if the consultation seemed worthwhile.

Mandy

• Posted

Mandy, I'm brand new to this group and only recently diagnosed with scoliosis (and kyphosis and arthritis) so am definitely fumbling my way along at the moment.  I had horrible pain, asked the GP about TENS, who told me to ask the pharmacist, who said that it MIGHT work, but it only works while you have it working.  I bought a decent one on Amazon (not expensive, around £25 I think) and oh my goodness - it worked!  Where I was writhing in pain every afternoon and evening, after sitting for a while, the TENS worked to take the pain away straight away, and after using it for a few days I didn't get any more spasms!  After the physio did something it started spasms up again but the TENS sorted it in a few days.  I've no idea if it might work for you because I'd guess it works well for spasms but maybe not for other aspects, but might be worth asking someone who knows more about your condition?  Hope it might help.  Chris
  • Posted

Hi Mandy,

The London Clinic quoted me £3,450 for the treatment but that was probably four months ago, plus the £75 for the consultation.  Then there was £1,976 for accommodation if I wanted to use their flat, plus food and train fares home and back on weekends.  That's the best part of £6,000 plus whatever equipment is required.  I researched further and decided to try an osteopath in Tetbury who teaches the Schroth Method.  I can drive there and back on a daily basis so the whole thing is much better for me and less expensive.  He was trained in Germany and became interested in this as his son has scoliosis.  He charges £600 for a course of treatment which is 4 hours a day for a week and then regular follow up appointments to check on your progress to make sure you are continuing to do the exercises correctly.  From what I undersatnd there is no follow up from the London SOS Clinic. 

The difference between the London SOS Clinic and this is the length of the course which means after 4 weeks of 5hrs a day you will see a noticable difference, whereas with this shortened course (the exercises are the same) it will take longer to see the progress but the final outcome will be the same it will just take a little longer.  Either way for this to have a lasting effect you will have to do the exercises for at least half an hour a day for the rest of your life.

I actually started the programme this week. Today was day three. I'm finding it difficult to take it all in but with time and practice I'm sure it will all get easier. It's quite intense.  I'll let you know how the rest of the week goes and I'll be really interested in how you get on and what you decide to do.

Take care

Curvey

Curvey  

• Posted

I've just been looking this up and it sounds like a great compromise - it would take me 2 hours to drive there but then it takes an hour and a half to get into London by train and a week of family disruption would be a lot easier than a month. Is it the guy from the website who is doing the exercises with you? I wonder if you would mind if we had a chat at the weekend when you have done the week ? It's extremely difficult to find real tesimonials on line. I'd really appreciate it. I'm 50 this year and have been living with back pain and throwing money at it since my early 20s. I feel i need to take control now but equally don't want to waste time and money...has he said what kit you will need at home? THank you!

Mandy 

• Posted

Hi

I am thinking of taking my daughter to Tetbury , how did you get on with your treatment?

• Posted

Hi Stevie,

I found the week quite a challenge both physically and mentally but definitely worth it and am looking forward to getting started on my exercise programme.  There's quite bit of kit to purchase and I haven't got all mine together yet so haven't had a chance to practice properly.

I'm sure your daughter will benefit from the Schroth Programme.  She's young and therefore supple and will find the exercises easier to perform than I do as my bones are pretty much set fast at 65!  Your daughter is also more likely to pick up the instructions more quickly just because she's younger!  It is a huge commitment though and the exercises must be done at least 5 days a week forever, so not something to be entered into lightly.

The real test will be to see how I'm getting on in six month's time.

Good luck and let me know if you decide to go ahead with this.

Curvey

• Posted

That's helpful - it is such a big outlay and also time - I have two teenage boys who need ferrying around and taking a month out will not be easy. I like your idea much better. Do let me know how you feel at the end of the week and best of luck with it xx
    • Posted

Hi Mandy,

No problem, am happy to speak to you over the weekend, however, you will see the Moderator;s comments.  I didn't make a note of the numbers before they were removed.  Please send PM with numbers and I'll ring over the weekend.

Curvey

• Posted

Hi Curvey,

Just read this thread and wondered how you got on in Tetbury and since then.  I am thinking of doing the same course so it woud be great to know how you found it and the follow up exercises.  I'm 43 and have a 40 degree curve but would like to prevent it getting worse.

• Posted

Hi Sokuwan

I've also done the Tetbury course - my curve is 35 degree and I'm 49. I found it very inspiring and empowering. However you have to commit to about 45 mins per day once you leave to continue the exercises.  I've been doing the exercises for about 2 weeks now. I actually look straighter from the front but have altered my shape - developed more of a waist on one side and not the other. I had a physio come round today who confrimed she thinks I have been doing a few of the exercises wrong. They are very subtle so you will need to follow up afterwards. I am going back in June but I live a few hours away - the ideal would be to get some feedback every week for a while until you absolutley know what you're doing. Curvey is very helpful (she inspired me to try it) and I am also happy to have a chat to you over the phone about the prinicple of it and the course in practice if you want. I think it's worth a shot.

• Posted

Hi, my daughter is 10, it was a lot to take in for her, she is also wearing a brace, she has her next appointment in a couple of weeks time to see if her curve has progressed, He is a nice guy who seems to know what he is talking about, the breathing excercises are fairly complex, so I would advice you too to take notes. It certainly will help strengthen your muscles around your spine, hope that helps , anything else, please just ask
    • Posted

That's really helpful, thanks. How's your daughter managing the daily exercises (I'm a little worried about this, but can see the need for them).

• Posted

Oh, I see I replied in the wrong place! Thanks for your info.  How are you finding the daily exercise routine? And did you have to buy any equipment?

Thanks

• Posted

You might be interested in a study; if you google 90 seconds of yoga a day scoliosis. 
    • Posted

Hi will have a look. I would be careful with following online videos as everyone's curve is different. Schroth excercises are done specifically for your type of Scoliosis, unfortunately there is not a one fix solution as each curve is different

• Posted

Hi Sokuwan,

Doing the Schroth course at Tetbury is definitely worth the effort but you must be prepared to commit the time and money.  There is quite a bit of kit but it's worth the outlay.  The week itself is quite demanding but I am older than you, 65, so maybe I'm a little slower to pick up the techniques! i have two curves which unfortuneately have got considerably worse recently (from 40/40 to 60/70 degrees) possibly due to natural progession with age, possiby due to osteoporosis or possibly due to side effect of drugs I'm on for another condition.  No one knows or can say for sure, it could be a combination of all three.  I did yoga for years and it actually improved my posture but had to give it up a few years ago because of other health issues and can no longer do all the bending, inverted postures etc in yoga but would recommend yoga to anyone not just for scoliosis but general well being.

Back to the Schroth method!  He's very nice, helpful, is very knowledgeable about the condition and has a son with this problem so has a real interest in the subject.  For me to get through my set of exrcises takes about 1 1/4 hrs but I'm getting faster.  It's very hard to find the time and I'm not doing them as often as I should but definitely notice a difference in my posture.  I feel much stronger and upright and am able to do little things like mash the potatoes again without pain and dry my hair without having to stop every few minutes so something's working.  

Good luck with this and let us know how you get on.

Curvey

• Posted

Hi Steve

I have found your post with regarding your daughter. I hope she is doing well. 

We have just found out that our daughter ( she will be 8 in November) has a mild scoliosis.

She has not yet been referred to any scoliosis consultant ( we wants to be referred to RNOH in Stanmore) .We know it may take up to 5-6 months. In the meantime we are looking for some advise with regards to therapy available.  Would you be able to tell me if your daughter went through any therapy such as Scoliosis SOS or the Schroth course. and if it worked for her. As you post is 2  years old it would give as a picture what can be done. Before we will decide to pay for any course we want to get as much information as possible. The scoliosis is not something we have no knowledge about as my wife went through 2 stage correction and most of her spine is fused. we are hoping that this option may by avoided for our daughter. 

Any response and suggestion I would greatly appreciated.

Regards

Grzegorz

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.