Scotland referrals

Posted , 12 users are following.

I was wondering how long do you have to wait if your doctor made an urgent referral for you in Scotland for a Total Hip Replacement

Thanks

1 like, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Well I have more news, went to see a nurse today to ask for occupational therapy lol cos i have a real problem with the toilet , its too low

So she referred me again to get me seen faster as she thinks this is the only way since it is now my other hip that is in pain.

So when I got home I did my usual Monday thing lol I phoned the hospital and was told 19 weeks on the list 19 to go .

I then said to the receptionist that a consultant was looking at my case again a couple of weeks ago.

I almost dropped the phone she said good news I have been on the list 19 weeks and this list i was also on ( " lists seems strange" was 21 weeks so I should be seeing a consultant in the next 2 weeks or at least have a date to see them.

After hearing this today I dont know whether to laugh , cry , be afraid, excited its just put me in pure turmoil.

Now its also going through my mind what if its not true just one big roller coaster of emotions but as always I will keep you all posted

• Posted

Hi Billy, hope from here that you get seen by consultant asap. I have followed your troubles and really feel your struggles and pain x Good luck

Helen

• Posted

thank you all for the support

• Posted

Hi All, As always I have an update

I have to go see a consultant next Friday 14th June so he can see what is going on with my hips

Just hope he realises how bad they are and have been

No word of if it being a pre assement but hopefully common sense will prevail and the ball will start rolling

As always I will keep you updated

• Posted

Go get 'em Billy, good luck and best wishes x

• Posted

If you are seeing a consultant it probably is not a pre assesment that normally follows the trip to the consultant. Things should start moving now. Good luck.

• Posted

great news Billy. hopefully as you say hell realise how much sooner rather than later you need the OP. and be able to give you a better idea of OP date etc.

keep us posted 😃

• Posted

So the saga continues ....

Saw the consultant great , guy, understanding and was in agreement with me about what happened in Glasgow and medication , Anyway he examined me I have 10 - 15 % on my left leg ( thats the good one ) the other is a choice of live with it or have it replaced so I went for replacement 😃 )

He told me about 3 months 😦but I thought well i can survive that although it will be a struggle.

Today I got an outpatient appointment for another consultation , apparently in this day of computers they cant link you chi number to your records lol .

So being the nice person that I am I called and said that I called and said there had been some confusion as I had already seen a consultant and they realized it was a mistake.

As i was on the phone I asked if there was any word of my pre op assessment and was told I would need to speak to the consultants secretary. I was given the phone number.

I called and since it was lunch time I left a voice mail saying I was looking to see if there was a possible date for my pre op assessment.

About one hour later I got a call back from his secretary who asked why I was phoning ( lol listen to the message i thought ) so after explaining to him he told me it would be quite a while at least 5 months ... I said that i had saw the consultant last week and he said 3 months , the secretary said that was the list time for or 5 months ago and due to losing staff etc the list was at least 5 months.

Do i have the right to feel p****d off and does anyone know how it works once you've seen the consultant as to who decides when you get the operation

As usual any help would be grateful

• Posted

Hi Billy,

I was put on the waiting list in October 2017 and finally received my hip replacement at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Glasgow in March this year.. I had bone on bone, was on morphine based pain relief (not much help) and still waited nearly 1.5 years... I feel for you but be prepared to wait I'm afraid! so wish you well... Jen

• Posted

hi Jenjen31

i got a call from the occupational health department yesterday and they said there has been a big push here to get the waiting list down . I see a consultant on Friday so will keep you updated

• Posted

Oh thats fantastic news... I hope you get a date soon 🤞🤞

• Posted

Thanks a million but the funny thing is i am scared now but not about the op or all the pain that comes with it but the fear of being able to do things I have not done for years and all the new things I could do , crazy I know but I have always been honest .

• Posted

hahaha. trust me I understand totally 😁

When you get to that point you won't even be thinking about it... you will just be enjoying it all!

Jen

• Posted

Back from the consultant who was a very nice man and to be honest I think he was shocked at the state of my hip.

We had a chat and he told me I had a choice , leave it as it is or a total replacement on my right hip.

I readily said replace it please lol.

He did also comment on my left hip which has a good bit of damage , now as I was told to stay calm and behave I did, And did not like to point out that the x ray was at least 4 to 7 months old so not a true reflection of my situation.

I will be seen in the next 3 months for the operation but not sure what will show up in the x-rays in the the pre assessment

On the whole a very good experience and hopefully wont be long before the pre assessment.

Got all the material and read it all.

He said I was on a pretty potent combination of painkillers which I have managed to do without by using CBD oil

I will bring it up at the pre assessment and hopefully this wont effect anything, surely less pills going in lees damage to health so better health all round

• Posted

Hi All

Yes I am still here lol

I have had the occupational health to my house last week and now have a raised toilet seat, raised sofa and an aid for my bed.

The Ombudsman has written to NHS Grampian asking for them to take action to get my problem resolved very quickly.

You guys must be going bonkers with me

I have now bought a pillow for between my legs to help with the pain .

This morning I got a Pre Assessment date of 25th July so almost a month then I guess its up to 12 weeks before an op.

Funny but this seems to be a paper exercise to let me think things are moving quickly when they are still the same as the 4-5 months as stated by the Consultant's Secretary .

I know I am a constant moan but just in case you think I am winging about nothing ,I got my medical notes and there in black and white in my GP notes is "Hip Trauma reported ........1984 "

lol As always will keep you all updated

Billy

• Posted

Looks like things are moving for you Billy, at last. Hopefully it won't be too long now.

• Posted

hi billy I was only thinking the other day how you were getting on . I must've missed your update.

anyway its gt news abt your pre OP assessment and the ombudsman . hopefully it wont be long now 😃

• Posted

Thanks julie1717

I have to go to physiotherapy this week dont know why,

I do know now my other hip is causing me problems with pain in the left knee

Hopefully thing will move really fast though I doubt it but will keep you all updated as progress continues

• Posted

when I had my pre OP assess3ment had to see the OT /physio as well so it may be they do things separately at your hospital. but it was to go thro what equipment I'd got and needed so they could send them to me ore op.

but yes wont he long hopefully . look forward to seeing a date and your post OP reply 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.