Seborrhoeic Dermatitis

Posted , 49 users are following.

Ive been suffering with this condition for about 2 years now.

Im 27 years old and ive found it to be very distressing.

Ive never suffered from any skin conditions ever before in my life and find it bizzar that im suffing from it now. Sometimes it effects what i do as i dont like to be seen out when it gets bad, ive even had time off work this year because of it. I can go a few months with perfect skin then in just a few days it can flare up horribly. I get really depressed and frustrated when it happens.

It mainly effects my nose and the area of skin around my nose, just under my eyes and on my forehead just above my nose.

It comes and goes every month or so but just lately has gotten worse and sometimes takes a few weeks to go down. I use both a shampoo and anti fungal creams but even they do not work as well as id like.

Im wondering if anyone has any tips on what they have found to be a good way of controlling it?

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Protopic ointment every night is the one and only thing that keeps mine under control. I was miserable before I figured this out. Had seb derm rash on my face for 8 straight months and nothing worked (I tried so so so many things) until I put protopic on every night. Good luck, hope this helps!
  • Posted

Hi i had seborrhoec dermatis on scalp for a long time and my doctor prescribed me Polytar shampoo wich works fantastic!!!

I then started to get seborrhoic dermatitis creeping down on to my forehead and eyebrows.The doctor prescriped me daktarin cream for my face.The cream did nothing at all on my face?

I was then told by the doctor that when i go in to the shower and do my head with Polytar i was to use some off that and gently wash my face with it.After i got out of the shower my face was red raw so i then used witch hazel which did sting but it does something good.Then i would use Sudocream and it works very well as it contains zinc which is good for skin problems.

So my advice is get some Polytar shampoo when in the shower use the Polytar on your face at the same time as your scalp/head.Then when out of the shower use witch hazel with cotton wool gently over your skin and it will sting!

Then when your face has calmed down from burning use Sudocreme all over and by morning you will be surprised with the results! I do this all the time now when i get a flare or not! I have seen an imunologiest and he prescribed me anthistimines and they do not do anything??? I am now waiting to see a Dermatologist.I have also kept a record of my flare ups by taking pictures on my phone to show the Imunologist and Dermatologist.

This problem on my scalp has gone its only happening on my face? I can go for ages before it happens so it can hit you out of the blue.

• Posted

HI Everyone. I live in Bedfordshire, England, I'm 30 years old and I have had to live with this for nearly 10 years on and off and counting. More on then off I’m afraid for those new comers. It completely disapeared for a few years, but then came back. 

It’s ruined a lot of my private and personal experiences, like parties and such as in some cases my only lasting memories are photos of me with a rash like thing on my face. The condition with children is heart wrenching, because again its personal memories like photos which affect me the hardest. Like everyone is has its flares, and yes there are lots of times when it’s not affecting me in a big way, but generally speaking it causes me a lot of stress and quite frankly at times I don’t want to be seen out with it. 

I started like everyone else, trips to the doctors. 300 creams…..Some of these creams worked for about a week, and then it all came crashing down. Next cream please!?

They have never really properly diagnosed it although they do have me on daily tablets with a cream. Which I’d say has helped but on occasions I do have to question this. I have stopped taking the cream because it seemed to make little difference.  

The products are Dactacort cream & Tetralysal (Lymecycline) tablets. I’ve been on the tablets now for about two-three years. I also use Selsun Shampoo.

Autumn is here, and things are flaring up.

I have read through and would like to try Aloe Vera. I may also try Nizoral Shampoo which I understand contains a yeast minimising ingredient called ketoconazole.

I’d like to understand if there are foods I should avoid? Things I should eat more of? Vitamins which can help reduce the growth of yeast in the skin? 

• Posted

I personally have found symptoms are worse with particular foods, especially high sugar foods, for example a jam doughnut would contain everything you want to avoid, sugar, jam, dough, yeast. I've cut out a lot of sugar from my diet in recent years and my SD has definitely not been as bad. I also try to avoid spicy foods. Drinking plenty of water (2 litres a day) I think helps things too. As for foods to have, I'm currently looking in to taking prebiotic yoghurt (like yakult) as this has many good things for the gut which has been linked to SD and other similar skin conditions.

Also, look in SLS free products. I wash using Q10 Nivea face wash which is SLS free. I have a shaved head so I'm fortunate to use this on my scalp too. There's not many face wash products that don't. SLS is a foaming agent which is known to cause issues for sensitive skin. L'Oréal for men do one as well which doesn't contain little bits if your skin is really sensitive. I advise using the L'Oréal one if your skin is already inflamed. Personally I'd avoid anything that makes your skin sting, to me that's your body's way of warning you!

Hope we can find a solution one day

• Posted

Edit:

Should say, "There's not many face wash products that don't contain SLS.

Should say "I advise using the Nivea one if your skin is already inflamed as the L'Oréal one is more like a exfoliating scrub."

• Posted

Hello everyone. I have a problem myself, I don't know if it's SD ... my skin started to peel off on my nose and my cheeks and now on my arms too. I have a problem with my hair too, it simply fell out. I had sufferd some major dramas lately and I found out that I have an ovarian cyst and i'm thinking it's all about stress but now , with my skin problem, i'm not so sure. I will go to the doctor next week but until then i want to know if anyone had something similar.

I wish you all a good day!  

• Posted

My boy is 16 and recently his eczema has flared up all over his body. I appreciate learning from you how this condition also affects a person emotionally. We're still trying to learn what to do with it. I have been doing a lot of research on the net, and tried several venues. My first suspicion was too much dairy. He consumed at least a quart of yogurt and multiple glasses of milk every day for about two months. We eliminated all of it and switched to soy milk and in moderation, it got better for a few days, but started again, and the last few days it's all over his body, not just several spots. I have tried plant based oinments, oatmeal spray for itching (this one helps as relief for itching), I bought "nettle" tea, just yesterday, in an effort to reduce inflammation internally.

The only factor left in the process of elimination for cause seems to be clothing. He says it originally started when he wore warmer pants (Abercrombe). I had constantly got on his case not to do it, because the flares seemed to be in the creases where there's closest contact with clothing. Behind the knee, groin, etc. There is a lot of data online about wool and synthetic fabric like polyester being bad for skin conditions, because these materials prevent skin from breathing. They cause overheating of skin, sweating and flare up. Everyone strongly suggests 100% cotton, and some suggest silk.

I am buying him silk underpants and undershirt. There are some reviews and articles online where people claim that it has helped them with eczema. Will post on this site if he gets results. It will be a while though. It will take time to buy and try and see.. Hang in there. But first try 100% cotton. At least under the stweater, to avoid direct contact. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi! I know this thread is a little old, but wondering if any of you with seb derm have successfully treated the clogged pores that sometimes come with it? I've tried every treatment under the sun for clogged pores, but after Nizoral 2% shampoo helped clear up my redness and bigger bumps, I've figured out I have seb derm, and all the acne treatments have just been making it worse! Keeping my skin dried out helps the bumps but then the flakiness and redness gets worse; the flakiness and redness is better if I use moisturiser, but then I get more bumps! Ahh!
    • Posted

Hi, the post might be old but the condition is still very much current so don't worry about that.

Having improved my SD symptoms over the last few years, I came to the conclusion it was not what I was putting on my skin, but what was coming out of it. When I think back to when it was at it's worst, I was eating fairly poorly and going out drinking a lot most weekends.

Now I've sorted my diet out and my drinking nights out are a thing of the past, my SD is so much better. Now I'm not saying that you should give up alcohol, however alcohol causes dehydration and I think that this is a contributing factor, and I've found the same with tea and coffee. I have these things in moderation and drink plenty of water through the day (about 2 litres) Sugar, in my opinion and I've also read, can accelerate reactions to allergies, so I keep that down too. Spicy foods, again for me, not good. Spicy foods and alcohol on a curry night is recipe for disaster for me. Spicy foods cause you to sweat and thus leaving nasties on your skin. In terms of products, I noticed that my skin still felt like it had sebum left after washing so now I use Nivea for Men Exfoliating face wash and found this to be great. This has no SLS in it either, bonus.

If my skin is a bit dry after, I just use a small bit of natural moisturiser.

Anyway, I hope you can find an answer soon and hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi all

I've been suffering from SD on my scalp and face for several years, I was prescribed Daktacort which I've seen a few people mention as well as other steroid creams. As much as these do work they do appear to have long-term side effects which is what made me stop taking them, they are definitely a quick short term fix however I've found once I come off them it's worse than before. I would advise everyone to look into LUSH products as they are natural and seem to have worked for me, I used their ocean salt scrub for my face & celestial moisturiser as it is light and I find often when I moisturise it sits on top of my skin and makes it worse almost.

Over the years I've found that the SD has left my nose/t-zone area and is now more severe on my forehead. For my scalp however I have not been able to find anything that works, i was prescribed a steroid shampoo which worked somewhat, but not completely and it is only to be used in the short term.

I have heard apple cider vinegar works, has anyone tried this? I would definitely like to go down the natural route as the things doctors prescribe dont seem to work or have nasty side effects.

Thanks

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear that we are both suffering what sounds like a similar problem. I get this on my face too in the exact same areas. My nose, the skin on face surrounding my nose, above my nose and it tries to spread to my eyebrows. I made a YouTube video about it called am I infected. Check it out. But I have No insurance and I paid to go urgent care where the Dr prescribed me a cream v called ketaconazole and I must say it works great and started working instantly but if I go without the cream for 2 days I see signs of this symptom returning. It says to use for 8 weeks but I use it everyday. Without it my symptoms return and I get bad thoughts because of this. Try ketaconazole please it may help.

• Posted

Hi. My daughter suffered with the same condition as you and has tried every cream and steroid,all of which have made matters worse. Six months ago she had a really bad flare up and after reading about the condition extensively she had at last found a cure. Stop all creams ,steroids and soaps immediately, the fungus feeds on these creams and is the worst thing to do. When you have a flare up bathe your face twice a day with sea salt from the health food shop and then just leave alone. My daughters skin is perfect now, with no more flare ups and no dry patches. It is the first time in ten years that she has the cleat skin she had as a teenager. I really hope this works for you, remember no creams or steroids. 
  • Posted

Can everybody in this discussion please private message me?
  • Posted

I have used a facial cream with copper and zinc, and it does the trick : no more redness, no more desquamation.

• Posted

i used to suffer from this for the longest time. i tried all the doctors gave me all the creams etc. until one day i tried head and shoulders shampoo on my face and keep doing it daily since then and its been almost 17 years with minimal breakdowns to ther point that i almost forget i suffer from seborroic dermatitis. I take a shower daily so I use the head and shoulders daily on my face and chest and i can say you can try it but do it daily. don't expect results in 3 or 4 weeks but once the recent flare up is gone it will never come back ever.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.