Seborrhoeic Dermatitis

Posted , 49 users are following.

Ive been suffering with this condition for about 2 years now.

Im 27 years old and ive found it to be very distressing.

Ive never suffered from any skin conditions ever before in my life and find it bizzar that im suffing from it now. Sometimes it effects what i do as i dont like to be seen out when it gets bad, ive even had time off work this year because of it. I can go a few months with perfect skin then in just a few days it can flare up horribly. I get really depressed and frustrated when it happens.

It mainly effects my nose and the area of skin around my nose, just under my eyes and on my forehead just above my nose.

It comes and goes every month or so but just lately has gotten worse and sometimes takes a few weeks to go down. I use both a shampoo and anti fungal creams but even they do not work as well as id like.

Im wondering if anyone has any tips on what they have found to be a good way of controlling it?

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hello, I'm new to the forum but have had SD for as long as I can remember. I'm now 41.

long story short - for me I have found suncream has nearly eradicated SD completely (as long as I remember to apply every day)

I noticed the pattern where SD was always worse/more frequent in winter months. After long years of various creams, oils etc. I read an article about a severe case which was triggered by light. I read about UV-A and UV-B solar wavelengths which let me to realise that UB-B - the short wave in summer months that gives you a tan, can strengthen the skins outer layer and prevent SD. but UV-A - long wave solar radiation which emits through the atmosphere when the sun is low in azimuth, can penetrate deeper into the skin and cause more structural cell damage. so, suncream in winter!

disclaimer: this is only my personal experience, everyone is different. but if you find SB is worse in winter, give it a try. I also don't know for sure if it is actually the UV protection or the moisturiser content of the suncream. but I have tried many moisturisers over the years without effect.

• Posted

I’ve been suffering from seborrheic dermatitis for a long time. I get it mostly on my scalp and on my face. i used to use dandruff shampoos daily but I don’t anymore. I’ve been trying to use better quality shampoos, shampoos with better ingredients. I do have to wash my hair almost every day or else it gets bad. Recently I have been using Love Planet and Beauty shampoo and conditioner from Target, it seems to be working well. The MIRACLE for my face that I found, is Olay Regenerist . I used to break out really bad every few weeks on the sides of my nose and between my eyebrows, sometimes around my lips. It would look gross, and burn I had topical prescription meds that would help, but it would still take its course to go away. Since starting the Olay Regenerist I have not had an outbreaks. I don’t know if this will work for everyone, it’s working for me, and I love it. I was just looking for a good moisturizer that wouldn’t irritate my skin, and found a MIRACLE. Wish you luck!!!

• Posted

I went to 3 different dermatologist, one said allergic reaction to a lotion I used on my face. The other 2 said that is Seborrheic Dermatitis.

THE TRUTH IS -- IT WAS THE HARD WATER ON MY APARTMENT.

I moved from the apartment I was renting and since then the skin on my face is fine. It seems the quality of the water I used to shower was causing the face to look like if I had Seborrheic Dermatitis.

If you live in a house try installing a water softener and see if it makes a difference.

Did these dermatologist mentioned this? Of course not. They probably knew and they didn't want to tell me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.