Second bout of diverticulitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am brand new to this site, but so glad I found it! I am on my second bout of diverticulitis in a year, it always happens at the holidayssad stress maybe? Went to urgent care put me on IV drip left with 2 antibiotics ( Cipro, Flagyl( make me so nauseous) stomach is distended. Took Metamucil just in the past two weeks because I thought it would help with my digestive system and then I get this flare up!! Would this have caused my flare up?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Cindy, I have found that stress and anxiety can cause problems with DD, and I have had flares when preparing for holidays, though not generally needing antibiotics, just a lot if digestive TCL. I think that recognising it as a trigger helps to control it.
    • Posted

Thanks Alexandra, I know Stress is huge. What do you do if you don’t take antibiotics? The pain is so bad, does it just go away?
    • Posted

If you have a fever, you probably need the antibiotics because you have an infection.  If there is no fever, you can sometimes ride it through.  But often the whole thing is so awful that you want to take something to make it better.  I had a hard time keeping the Flagyl down but I tried to take it with white bread and broth and that helped.
    • Posted

Hi Cindy, I have learned that not all pain is associated with infection, sometimes it is just my gut behaving badly and reacting to circumstances. If i feel ill as well and/or the pain is really bad then i would ask for meds, but if it is just painful but tolerable with regular pain meds then i try to give it time to sort itself out.
  • Posted

Hi Cindy. Keeping a food diary should help you to see if it's stress or food that making this happen. I have DD and IBS and a lot of the time it's the IBS that kicks off not DD. Stress is a factor in both   I hope you feel better soon 

• Posted

Cindy,

Here is my suggestion based on experience: Once you have had a flare up, you will likely want to wait before ingesting any major amounts of fiber.  Start with low residue diet for a few weeks until all symptoms are gone and then slowly add in a bit more fiber every day.  Eventually you want to get to a high fiber diet but--at least in my case-- that can take weeks or months to get to where you can tolerate that much fiber.  I only start taking fiber supplements like Metamucil when I am really feeling good.

• Posted

Thanks everyone! So another problem since I have only been on the Antibiotics for 2 days I haven’t had a bowel movement 😩 I am not eating much, but think a lot of the pain could also be because I am bound and can’t go! I am thinkIng also it could be the antibiotics?

• Posted

If you are on antibiotics you should really be following a liquid diet until the course has finished and stop taking the Metamucil.  However some people do successfully take something low residue like crustless white bread.  But if you think about it, low input = low output.  A lot of people find an attack totally disrupts their normal rythym and it can take a few weeks to settle down.  A combination of antibiotics, lots of liquid and not much else.  A lot of us take a stool softener after finishing the antibiotics.  Sounds like you have issues with Metamucil, but there are other products.  Or it might be a total coincidence. 

Stress itself is a major trigger.  Many people keep a food diary to identify trigger foods, but I suggest you extend that to a lifestyle diary, to see if that can identify a trigger.  In order to relax I go once a month for a hot stone massage, and others do classes like yoga, meditation, relaxation techniques.  Or just take some "me time" at home.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Thanks Felina, Now the issue is severe heartburn last night and this morning, I barely slept, is this from the antibiotics? I am starving as well! I am so upsetsad from the lower abdominal pain, Nauseous also. What can I eat, I guess just liquids?  I am now on day 3of Cipro and Flagyl, still have some pain in my abdomen, is this normal? My first bout, the pain went away right away, and was able to eat a little! 

• Posted

Hi Cindy

I guess you are USA based, as in the UK we get 2 different drugs.  Cipro and Flagyl have been reported as having severe side effects - does the paperwork that comes with them list heartburn as a side effect? That could be part of the answer.  Also your insides will continue to make acid regardless of what you put in (I think) and this could also be contributing to the heartburn.  Continued pain for some time is quite normal - more so than the pain going quickly.  Think broken bone - it takes ages for the pain to subside, even with medication, whilst the bone heals.  Your insides are just the same as the infection and inflammation subsides.

As for what you can eat, I found I could take meal replacement drinks and cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup.  Also Greek yogurt.  Nothing too acidic or heavily flavoured.  Why not try a little bit of soup and dunk some crustless white bread.  Maybe just a couple of mouthfuls and see how it goes.  I know it's normally recommended you stick to the clear liquid, but something like this might just take the sting out of the stomach acid.  Keep a note of what you have and if it doesn't help, well, at least you know.  As an experienced dieter I can say from experience that the hunger does go away after a few days!!!  It may not feel like it now, but things do get better.

• Posted

I totally agree with adding some soup - I relied on chicken noodle - and also ensure which is a meal replacement.  It will take awhile - even after meds are gone - to get back regular.  I also have IBS, so I am use to being all over the place.  Stood softeners helped me a lot at first, then I started back on my fiber con supplement about a week after I was off meds.  (Metamucil is too hard on my system). Lots of water, too.  I can't take the cipro so take augmentin with the flagyl.  That was terrible!!  Anxiety definitely kicks in and I felt like I was just totally never going to be better.  Gradually - I have improved although mornings are still hard - always worrying about what it going to happen today - and am I going to have diarrhea, constipation, or normal (ha).  This tends to control my life.  Hoping and praying for you that you will start to see gradual improvement .

• Posted

Hi Cindy, to my mind you should be eating something, not just liquids. I would keep it very plain, maybe boiled potatoes, scrambled eggs, or make up a vegetable soup and blend it smooth. Avoid meat and try a little white fish perhaps. Try natural yogurt for the good bacteria in it too. If the meds are causing serious heartburn then you are curing one problem but starting another, so take an antacid such as Gaviscon if necessary (do you have that or similar in US). Eat small and often rather than big meals.
    • Posted

Thanks Felinia,

Yes, I am in the US. I took both before didn’t have a problem, but I guess it is different now. My Doctor told me I could have soft foods, but what I am reading from other folks is that your suppose to be on a liquid diet while on antibiotics, 10 days without foodsad only liquids , I couldn’t do it. I just made a scrambled egg and a piece of white bread, let’s hope I will be oksmile

• Posted

Thanks Dee! What is fiber con supplement? Yes, I have a feeling the Metamucil started this 2nd bout. I just started taking it 2 weeks ago because I thought it would help my digestive system, hadn’t even began my diverticulitis attack, just wondering.
    • Posted

Thanks Alexandra,

I ate an egg and a piece of bread , and we hen took my meds. Yes, I think we have Gaviscon in the US, will check the drug stores.

• Posted

A fiber supplement is something like metamucil.  However, each affects you differently.  Metamucil is really tough on your intestinal system.  Fiber Con and Citracel are much easier on you.  Just be sure whichever you use to drink lots of water with it and throughout the day - otherwise can make you constipated - hard to find the perfect dose, so start slowly.  I still rely on stool softeners if I think I have any constipation.
    • Posted

Some good food and stool softener suggestions here from other posters.  Hope you find something to suit.
    • Posted

My GI recommends Benefiber and cholace. I take benefiber three times a day and colace which is a still softener twice a day. I also take a probiotic called Platinuim MD, works great to be sure I have a bowle movement every day. I was diagnosed in Sept of last year, had recurrence in Nov and in Dec then one in May. After the May one they recommended I coumsider surgery which Imdont want. I have been doing very well controlling my diet and taking the above mentioned supplements until a few days ago. Now I am in the throws of another attack, trying not to have to go back to the ER. This disease is miserable.

• Posted

I so empathize with you!  It seems like no matter what I do, eat, or supplements I take, I still can't get regular!  I have semi-regular (2 or 3 ) a day for a few days, then for no reason, I have none for 2 or 3 days.  And of course, then I get panicky about being constipated.  Just can't figure it out.  Have been this way for years.  It's been termed IBS, but is different than most people experience with that.  Usually if you can go back on an almost liquid diet for a few days, it will back off the attack.  But I know, you can never relax for worrying about what's next.  Prayers.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.