Second day on citalopram

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm new to this so first of all I just wanna explain my situation!

I've been depressed and anxious for a while now, had my son 4 months ago and I dealt with my depression and anxiety really well in pregnancy because I knew it would affect my son. Anyway, last week I began having really bad panic attacks (rang the ambulance twice!). I've been put on citalopram 10mg since yesterday, felt awful all day. Almost dazed. Woke up feeling ok but dreading taking the next tablet. I've been on sertaline before which made me really ill so I hope this drug will sort me out. I just really need to hear some success stories with citalopram, I was reluctant to take it anyway which probably caused majority of the side effects. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I feel like giving up.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Megan welcome to this forum, it’s an amazing place to talk and connect with others in the same or similar situation.  it works very well for me I was on it before for a few years then stopped!! However this time restarting  was difficult due to side effects. First month was worst but knowing they were just side effects of the drug while it was getting into the system helped. And obviously hearing others experiences helped too. Keep taking it you will come good. I am sure x x love and blessings gili
    • Posted

Hi Gili. I think that's what I seem to forget, the feelings ARE side effects! I just feel as if I'm in a bubble, very forgetful etc. I'm glad to hear they worked for you I'm praying it will for me too. What side effects did you experience? Megan xx

• Posted

Dry mouth nausea wt loss for first month then increased morning anxiety but hard to know exactly how much was situational but keep telling yourself it is only side effects as it probably is. All will be well give it time the meds work very slowly x x 
    • Posted

Thank you so much for replying. I do see that they work for people and every little post or comment like yours that I see gives me more strength to carry on xx
  • Posted

Hello Megan!

I too suffer with the same as you and was taking sertraline but it didn’t work for me, I’ve been started on citalopram 10mg too and I’m not going to lie the side effects are really kicking my arse at the moment. I’m only into my second week of them but day 3/4 was the worst, I ended up in a&e due to extreme dizziness and headaches I thought I was dying but these are just side effects apparently and they react badly with some people at first. I’m really struggling with my mental health at the moment but this group is absolutely amazing and the people on here really help me through understanding my side effects etc. I still have increased anxiety and the dizziness is unbearable at times but stay strong! We can do this sweetheart xx

• Posted

Hi Belle!

Nice to know (sorry!!) that I'm not the only one with the side effects. I was staring at the white little pill and thinking I really don't want to take you, you make me so ill 🤣 I think we just need to remember that they are side effects unfortunately anxiety doesn't really help with irrational thoughts does it... what are you on them for if you don't mind me asking? I'm feeling like a zombie today! I'm dreading night time I had an awful sleep last night. Glad to hear you're sticking with them, it gives me encouragement. Sending love xx

• Posted

Hi Megan,

I too have been seeking advice after changing my dosage and people here are only too pleased to help and reassure. I've been feeling like a zombie today too and had a terrible headache last night and the most horrible nightmare. I took mine yesterday evening around 6pm but today I took it at 4pm, hopefully I won't have a nightmare by taking it earlier. Some prefer to take it in the morning, I'm not sure which is the correct time to take it, I suppose it's whatever suits you best. I find it better eating small amounts often rather than large meals, I couldn't face a large meal, but that's me.

Best wishes

• Posted

I was taking celexa at 6pm every day because when started it would make me tired...now after almost 2 years Iswitch taking to 1pm..and it improve my sleep...
    • Posted

Hi Lois,

Yes that's the reason I started mine in the evening because of the tiredness but I agree with you, I think changing it to day time might suit me better. I don't sleep so well these days in any case.

Regards

• Posted

Hi Jayn,

It's horrible isn't it?! I'm not sure whether majority of it is side effects or anxiety! I got told to take it in the morning which is ok up until the afternoon where the anxiety peaks for me. I say this while I lye wide awake worried about potential nightmares tonight! I didn't get a good sleep last night either do you sleep through or do you wake up every so often? As I was up every hour or so. Hoping my appetite perks up a bit - even tried comfort food today but nope soon as I went to eat it nausea had different ideas! What dose and what day are you on at the moment? Thank you for replying to my post xx

• Posted

Lois, do you recall many side effects? If so when did they subside? Megan x
    • Posted

Many side effects.for me..they started subsiding after 4months..
    • Posted

With the help of xanex they started disappearing at the fourth month mark ..I recovered at 8months
    • Posted

Hi Megan,

Sleep varies with me, sometimes I feel really tired yet I cannot get off to sleep. When I do I usually wake up a couple of times during the night and find myself making a cup of tea and toast. Sometimes eating something helps to get me back off. I get restless legs that doesn't help, neither do my cats who like to sleep in the day and stay awake at night. They chase each other up and down the stairs and it's like thunder in the middle of the night. I try deep breathing exercises and that helps too. When I wake up after a nightmare I put it out of my head and start thinking about good times on holidays like relaxing on the beach. I also listen to delta sound music which sometimes helps.

I've been on 10mgs for several years but started messing with my dose which has caused me all my problems. I have been taking them at 6pm but I'm going to take them in the daytime from now on because I'm hoping by doing so I won't get nightmares. I think once you settle on your dose the nightmares will cease or be less frequent. Before I started messing with my dose I wasn't getting nightmares.

Try eating small amounts often, a piece of toast, some cereal, fruit and build yourself up gradually. It may help with the nausea.

Hope all works out for you

?

• Posted

I’m taking them mainly for anxiety but I think depression too just down to feeling so fed up of how I feel at the moment, I’m also going through a lot of stress which doesn’t help but yeah..what’re you taking them for?xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.