Second day on citalopram

Posted , 11 users are following.

I'm new to this so first of all I just wanna explain my situation!

I've been depressed and anxious for a while now, had my son 4 months ago and I dealt with my depression and anxiety really well in pregnancy because I knew it would affect my son. Anyway, last week I began having really bad panic attacks (rang the ambulance twice!). I've been put on citalopram 10mg since yesterday, felt awful all day. Almost dazed. Woke up feeling ok but dreading taking the next tablet. I've been on sertaline before which made me really ill so I hope this drug will sort me out. I just really need to hear some success stories with citalopram, I was reluctant to take it anyway which probably caused majority of the side effects. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I feel like giving up.

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel but it takes time x you will have good days and some bad but it does get better x Must be difficult with a young baby although it gives you something positive to focus on x i am 11 weeks in on a higher dose had a blip yesterday and the day before but feeling better today x Keep on with the tabs x
  • Posted

Hi Megan, please don’t give up, this can be an amazing med, I took it for a year & thought I would try life again without it, ‘big mistake’. I felt angry, tired, dizzy & no concentration!  So I started taking it again & because it was still in my system, felt a lot better again after a few days!   So at least give It a month, otherwise you will never know what the benefits will reap for you, the good thing Is you are In contact with similar people now & will have good advice through their experiences, If you have any problems, I’m a friendly ear,  there Is always going to be a ‘settling’ In period with any med, so good luck with your perseverance If you chose to do so.

• Posted

Hi Mike,

I'm really trying to stick at it. Felt good this morning then all of a sudden it hits me like a ton of bricks in the afternoon 😔 I'm really struggling with the heightened anxiety and the feeling like I can't eat anything. Yes I'm glad I joined this forum,seems very helpful. Nearly another day done. I hope I look back at this soon and realise how far I've come. Thank you xx

• Posted

No probs Megan, let me know how you get on. Walking In the country side, Is a huge help for me,x
  • Posted

Hi Megan yea the side affects are horrible this is my second time taking them my first time I didn’t get no side effects now I do but I’ve only been on them 3 weeks and it’s getting a lot better stick with it I’m sure they will help u
    • Posted

Hi Mario! What side effects have you had this time around? I'm suffering tonight. Really hoping and praying that it'll be worth it!! X

• Posted

Well I wake up everyday at 8 am no matter what time I go to sleep kinda  noshes  But no throwing up my anxiety has gone down but it was worse it’s hard to leave the house and go far cause I’ll get panic attacks but I’ve been getting better 
  • Posted

hi Megan stick at it ive been on them (40mg) but had discussion with GP I'm now on 30mg and want to be off by xmas 2018 keep on them and need be ask to increase if you are suffering more depression, I have 2 boys 9 and 14 and it is hard but I can image harder with youngster hang in there and give them a chance mate best wishes n keep us up to date

let me know how ya doing mate there s a big community out there you don't have to be alone

• Posted

Hi Andy,

I'm glad to hear that they're working for you! I've just woke up from a horrific nightmare, seems this night is worse than the first night on those tablets. Really struggling to not throw the towel in 😔 thank you for your kind words xx

• Posted

hi Megan when I was on rock bottom I asked for counselling which also helped massively talking to a stranger who just asks the right question I'm 6"4inch 18 stone and cried like a baby through my first 2 sessions

it could be worth a try x

• Posted

Megan, I never reply to threads generally but yours hit home. I was the same and baby set things off again. I didnt want to take and almost three years on I was still struggling as just took 10 as didnt want to take at all but eventually had to take 20 when it started to really affect my family. Just take the tablet, thats the first hurdle to get over. You will feel worse before better but all you have to think its its a good sign, they are getting into your system and its going to get better. Try not to focus so much on anything for a good few weeks to get over the hard times and slowly but surely you'll get better, not 100% buts its a long journey but you will get there. I recently went to a mental health nurse about my issues, or what I thought was me loosing my mind, she said she was on tablets for 9 years after children and i'm not actually mental its just life struggles and being depressed and anxious amplifies things. Stick with the tablets <3

• Posted

I have been on it 2 days now. I slept much better last night, and feel more energetic today. I have had panic attacks in the past, and have been experiencing short of breath bad. Seemed to lighten up some. After an hour of taking each pill each day, i got a little groggy and had dry mouth. Wore off quick and have more energy.

They say it takes about 2 weeks to work. .

How has your experience been with it, or have u found something else?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.