Second knee

Posted , 17 users are following.

well it is 5 days since the second knee and thankful I am home. I had forgotten how really painful it is or I might not have gone through with it again. Hardest part is getting up and down from my bed. Just felt like reaching out and talking to people who understand.  My sister is here helping out my husband so have great care. Just hurting.  Cathy

1 like, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Well done Cathy just remember it does get better.  I am 9 weeks post total knee replacements both knees.  As both of my knees were bad with oesteoarthritis I asked if I could have both knees at once as I knew I would never be brave enough to get one done then the other.  Just remember exercise and ice, my packets of frozen peas have become my best friends.  I hope all goes well with your recovery and it does help to talk to people who have had it done as we understand the pain, frustration and  tears that you cannot help. Good luck
  • Posted

Yep! We're all here in solidarity with you!?? This site helped me very much when I found it about three weeks post surgery with my first TKR. I've been here ever since! (nearly two YEARS since that first surgery!)

Try to focus on how great it will be to have TWO GOOD KNEES! For me, Knee #2 was still so painful and my knee that had been replaced was already less painful and much stronger, too. I was glad to finally get #2 on the road to recovery. I knew the drill from #1.

Try to think of ways to distract yourself.

Do some walking around the house every hour.

Work on a project you enjoy. (Mine was scrapbooking.)

Watch comedies. Laughing gets our minds off pain and discomfort for a bit.

Come to this site! Here there are many who have experienced a second knee replacement and can sympathise with you. That means A LOT!😊

I kept a journal for both of my TKRs. Journals are helpful because you can read previous entries and say, "Wow! I can do A LOT more NOW!"

Do deep breathing. Close your eyes and really concentrate on taking in the breath. Concentrate on releasing it. Breathing mindfully helps in labor; it will do the same here!👍👍

Sending prayers of peace and calm and strength to you today!??

• Posted

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement.  It does help. Cathy

• Posted

hi cathy66878 wow only 5 days it is hell i know my 2nd one is now 7 months and still not up to strength but hang in there you will see from week 2 how it starts to change for the better just ice elevate and do your meds do not overdo any physio if it hurts stop, and if you get out of bed have a walker or some sort of suport to help you i know where you are right know so you have my sincere prayers and a new you will emerge very soon glad you have help and support regards danie61
    • Posted

Thank you. I know you are right but tried of the pain. Will keep at my pt and just wishing 'twas three months down the road. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.