Second knee done, home today

Posted , 11 users are following.

all done, my left knee has been totally different experience.  Home after 4 days, pain manageable.  Let's hope it stays that way, I know it's a hard slog but it was amazing to wake up from the op with just a dull ache instead of that roaring pain I had last time.  The anaesthetist gave me something before the op to switch off the pain receptors in the knee and a local when it was finished.  I've been so much better so far. 

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Great.

I remember the morning after my TKR waking up and knowing that horrible pain had gone. Best feeling ever.

Take care and keep in touch

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

So pleased you have less pain makes recovery so much easier
  • Posted

Happy for you that you're doing so well. Can I ask where you live and what kind of insurance you have to be able to stay for days in the hospital. I live in California, have Kaiser, only stay one day.

• Posted

Hi Nancy I live in the uk have private healthcare.  It's a minimum of 4 days here. I can't imagine going home after one day! 

• Posted

That sounds wonderful to me. With your health care in the UK, do you have to wait a long time for surgery to be scheduled?
    • Posted

One day for a TKR?? I am in NYC, Oxford, Hospital for Special Surgery, 5 days because had tiny stitch oozing. Second TKR 4 days, wouldn't let me leave until I could go down stairs comfortably!!

• Posted

When it's private insurance you can more or less schedule it in to suit yourself. With our NHS there is a waiting list I Dont know how long that is. Depends on how severe the need. X

• Posted

Kaiser is now doing same day surgery and home.

Just had my right one done. They insert a Cath ( that's what they called it )

Similar to an epidural but placement was my thigh.

Lasts 48hrs ... you remove it ... and then all that you thought was pain free

you learn is not!!!

• Posted

Since you don't need it anymore, can I buy that "switch" from you???

• Posted

Glad you are doing well Elaine. How long since you had other knee done? I had left knee done last March and need my right one done but at moment putting it off as not mentally prepared.

Look after yourdelf and best wishes for your recovery.

• Posted

I am 7 weeks post op for my second TKR.   It is all going well and better than the first TKR which took place two years ago.   I have started driving again this week and, again, much sooner than after my first TKR two years ago.  I am a 72 year old female living in Manchester UK.  From my experience, and responding to an earlier enquiry from Nancy, the waiting time has been about four month since I was put on the list in August this year.  I was in hospital for two days only and discharged as there were no complications and I could complete the goals set by the physiotherapists before discharge from hospital.  We have had three group sessions of physiotherapy which took place at the same hospital over a period of three weeks just to make sure that we were carrying out the exercises correctly and to encourage us to continue with them!  Hope this encourages you to go for the second TKR.  I had an xray earler in the year but was told that it was not 'ready' for TKR at that time.  However, an xray carried out six months later showed that it had deteriorated to the point where it was 'ready' and I was put on the list and almost four months later, the operation was carried out.  It just shows how quickly the joints can deteriorate - they only go one way, unfortunately! Best of luck with your second operation when it takes place.

• Posted

Sue I had my first one done in March 2015. I had to prepare mentally so waited until it was stopping me doing most things. That tends to focus the mind a bit more.  I was also worried about the pain upon waking from surgery but this time I had next to none as they gave me a nerve block.  Thanks and good luck to ypu too xx
    • Posted

Thank you Dorothy. I too live in UK, am 50 years old and agree the joint can deteriote very quickly. The waiting list where I live is 1 year, I see my consultant again in March so it will be decided then when to go for the op. Best wishes for your continuing recovery x
    • Posted

Hello sue apologies I must have missed this one.  I had my right knee replaced in March 2015. I remember thinking I can't go through that again but the left one was getting so bad I couldn't feel any benefit of having the other one done so had to bit the bullet and dive in again. I'm now nearly 3 weeks post op and it is a hard slog with the pain but nowhere near as horrendous as the first time. I have stopped the opioids except for one at night and now just ice and use paracetamol and ibuprofen. Feeling slightly sick all the time but I think that's all part of it. Go for it there is only one life and we need to live it. Xx

• Posted

Hi Elaine, I see consultant in a few weeks so will be deciding when to go for it. Is getting worse wakenin at night. At least will be prepared for what happens, what have to do and understand the enormity this time of the op. I am glad number two is going well for you so far. Hope it continues to be so for you. Thank you Elaine and i totally agree, especially recently we need to live for today, xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.