Seeing ghost images (double vision) in both eyes

Posted , 40 users are following.

I have been seeing ghost images in both eyes since around the end of august 2017. The best way to describe it is seeing faint extra images coming from the top and bottom of whatever i am looking at, which is something lighter than its surroundings( like a street light at night or subtitles in movie). Imagine the letter “A” with a white font, on a screen on a black background, I would see faint copies of this letter above and below it. This happens with anything that is bright in darker background ( a black letter A in a white background would be fine).These ghost images can move further vertically away from the original, depending on how hard i squint. When i turn my head sideways, it occurs horizontally instead.

I have started using glasses since around october and I got them thinking it would make it go away, and it does while wearing them (not entirely sometimes), but i do not recall ever in my life having this problem before I got them. I am nearsighted and have been my whole life, but these double images are new and conisitent. Even with glasses, these ghost images are come out if i squint.

I have been to several optometrists and they were completely useless. These optometrists confirmed that it isnt cataracts and astigmatism. I read that it MIGHT be some type of diplopia, but not entirely sure. I just want to know if anyone who wears glasses or not, has been experiencing the same thing and what they do to treat or diagnose it. Please help, this is ruining my quality of life. Glasses help me see and I should have got them a while ago. But this problem seems unrelated, does everyone who wears glasses have the same issue?  

4 likes, 64 replies

64 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

bro! same problem is with me! 😭😭😭😭 it started like 6 months ago!I even see ghost /faded images of a bright thing on dark background! these are mostly in up direction! I am 16 years old! I am so scared! this is the worst problem! please tell me if you figured out its cure! please! I really feel like dying is better! when I go for movies! in theaters! I see subtitles double! image of the movie is not clear! please!!! tell me if you did figured out what it is

• Posted

Hi dear Hari4766

First of all you don't have to be stressed out cause this makes the problem worsen not physically but mentally.

First you have to test if you have binocular or monocular Diplopia , it's easy , if you close one eye but the double vision persists it's monocular , if double vision disappears when you close one eye it's binocular the common cause of binocular diplopia is neurological problems ( you can search for more details) and main cause of monocular diplopia is something inside your eyes it might be astigmatism , some rare macular problems ( cause you mentioned your age is 16 there's a really low risk of having AMD or diabetic problems , but everything can be possible so you don't have to skip it ) a rare syndrome called Visual Snow , keratoconus or maybe something simple like dry eye syndrome or etc.

search for pinhole test on google and do the test , if the diplopia improved that means your problem is caused by refractive errors (Don't worry it's easy to treat) if not , there might be the chance of other problems I mentioned

Do not delay and visit an ophthalmologist/neurologist based on your type of diplopia but I suggest you to visit an ophthalmologist first

Hope you get better soon.

• Posted

my also started when i was 16 years old and now i am 20 and it is still there: (

• Posted

hey there I am having the same problem since last month, any progress?

• Posted

hey there I am having the same problem since last month, any progress?

• Posted

i have same problem. for me its called fuch's distrophey. its when fluid builds up on inside of cornea. caused by number of reasons including genetic. im seeing cornea dr in may. cornea surgery fixes the problem, i have in both eyes. your cotnea is like a windshield and the fluid makes it cloudy which causes a glare and double vision or like letter staggard over letter like a ghost copy. my spelling sucks, spell check dont work on this and i cant see s**t!!

• Posted

hey bro

same issue here i am diagnosis ed with fuchs drystropy. Ghost ing of image is also for me

my age is 23

it has been 3 months i started the issues.

• Posted

I've described my problem in another topic but it seems too complicated. 😃

What can I do if I have some monocular double vision since two years and it looks like an astigmatism because ghost images are placed always on the same axis, however toric lenses don't help, don't make the images less visible?

I have some cornea irregularities, unfortunately I can't get proper keratometry because of nystagmus - but my doctors claims it's not a keratoconus. (I had also AS-OCT before my cataract surgery, and yes, the surgery was fine and didn't remove the diplopia).

I'm nearsighted and when I wear my glasses I generally see a bit better and sharper so the ghost images are less blurred and less visible too, but they are still present. I don't see them from a short distance but the image is blurred then (it wasn't before the diplopia has started, I'm nearsighted right? 😃).

And as I said toric lenses don't change anything (!) even though this ghost images are always on the same axis and of course they "disappear" when I lean my head sideways looking on a thin white line for example.

I've tried wearing soft contact lens but I don't see an improvement, the only strange thing is that-1D contact works as good as my -3,5D glasses....

• Edited

hi friend ,

we r are facing same Eye problem .. i am facing in one eye only ...

plz contact me.. we can find solution

• Edited

OP symptoms are similar to what I'm experiencing and I'll share my story as well.

Last June 2020, I went to the optometrist and received a new pair of glasses. The glasses were a minor improvement but restored my vision to 20/20. I complained of occasional dull orbital pain in my left eye to the doctor and they recommended I see an ophthalmologist. This pain came and went in waves the year prior. After seeing the ophthalmologist, they suggested it was an inflamed muscle and to take ibuprofen whenever the pain came back. A few weeks later in July, I noticed a light halo around a streetlamp and around car headlamps at night. This could only be seen through my left eye and it didn't matter if I was wearing glasses or not.

I complained of this issue to the ophthalmologist immediately but they said to check back if the symptoms persisted. In February 2021, I went back to see them and they couldn't diagnose the problem. I then saw another doctor at the clinic and they couldn't determine the problem either. They ruled out glaucoma and cataracts. I am seeing another doctor about this issue in a few weeks and hopefully they can help.

I can say that the issue goes away very, very briefly when I use systane complete relief eye drops. However, the light haloes around LED lights and the ghosting of white text on dark background returns within a minute or so. Wearing contacts eliminates the haloes and the ghosting.

• Posted

does contacts eliminate the ghosting? i am curious as i have only this problem bothering me(the ghosting)

• Edited

yes, in my case, contacts does eliminate the ghosting. try it out to see if that helps you too

• Posted

Thank you jacob for reply.

That is a big relief for me to hear that contacts eliminate the ghosting.

So this is what i am going to do in coming days

1. Cornea topography to see if i have early stage of keratoconus.
      2. On some other post somewhere i read about the same ghosting issue and the person who was experiencing this found out that he has some irregular astigmatism that is responsible for ghosting and it was corrected too by contact lense.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.