Seeing People at night

Posted , 24 users are following.

My first post! I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen, I know it is quite common but I can't find anything online that matches what I experience.

I wake up at night (this has happened quite a few times now) and see someone standing over the bed, or in the doorway. I have read online about sleep paralysis and understand I am possibly still dreaming but what is different is, I can move. I know normally you can't, but I can, I turn my head away from the person and turn my head back to see them still there. I even grab my phone and shine my light, they go but when I turn my phone off and it is dark again they are there. I don't know if this is another type of sleep paralysis but it is freaky as hell!

The worst was when I lived in another house, I had an office desk that at the end of the room. I woke and there was a skinny, creature, long teeth, mostly bone crouched on top of the desk. It was cocking its head and looking at me, almost like it wanted to jump off the desk towards me. Again I could move and even woke my partner up, but then when I looked back it was gone. Normally the people are that, just people, not monsters or demon like. The last one was last night, there was a man in army clothing, world war 1/2 type uniform, his face was clear and detailed, I didn't recognise him at all.

But yeah, that's it, I am not really sure what I want to get out of this post, maybe more opinions or if anyone else has had the same, but I find it strange how I have all my motor functions and can move, looked away and back to see them still there.

P.s I have noticed this has happened more since being on 25mg of Amitriptyline for headaches and blackouts. I had this happen before the headaches and blackouts and was put onto a daily dose of Amitriptyline.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

My father has just told me he has been seeing people in his bedroom in the middle of the night. its usually two or more people. Sometimes several times a night. He is very lucid and takes no medication at all. He is awake enough to look at the clock and get out of bed. I told him to try to take a picture of them. He tried last night ans when he reached for his phone they vanished. Im quite sure he is fully awake. Is this ghost hes seeing or is there something wrong? Im trying to figured it out. Tonight I am going to try to set up a camera to see if we can see anything. This is a very odd thing to experience for sure.

• Edited

I do not have an educated or professional answer to this, but can share opinions based on personal experience to clue in an answer to the question, "are these ghosts he is seeing or is there something wrong?"

Depending on one's definition of those aspects, I lean toward this not being the manifestation of ghosts, but tricks of the mind in relation to the 'hypnagogic' and 'hypnopompic' stages of sleep. But this could be what people infer as ghost sightings.

Personally, I'm a 24-years-old male, and have been faced with similar experiences on a regular basis since childhood, but the more tactile, vivid/lucid, and painful experiences began in the mid-teen years. Before that it had just been visuals and/or sounds.

I got a father who has mentioned similar issues as yours, but more-so as a passing comment when mentioning his unfortunate bladder issues, which causes frequent abrupt awakenings where he then sees things and people. It sounds like he has gotten used to it, almost to the point of ignoring that it is even happening, because I doubt it would have been mentioned to me unless I had sheepishly explained that, the reason for him taking me to the pharmacy, was to pick up medication for my personal disturbances when attempting to sleep.

Sidenote: This leads me to agree with hereditary predisposition, and that the medications offered seemed to more-so be knock-me-out workarounds than a targeted solution.

Now, while this is not normal nor something most people ever experience, it seems to be harmless in nature. But from reading around, it might be telling of some of the following predispositions, other than drugs:

My main concern, when attempting to 'put myself in someone else's shoes', is their reaction to the experiences.

e.g the occurrence of immense fear, heart-attacks, delusions, paranoia etc.

If it is not too bothersome to him, then I would not be over-concerned. It is likely no more dangerous than one overthinks it to be, and I, despite the fear and immense pain that the experiences can offer, have never been caused actual harm and there is a chance of getting used to it. If it seems to add up with either sleep paralysis, false awakening, or the aforementioned 'hypnagogic' and 'hypnopompic'' stages, then it is something one can learn - with more or less success - to control and take advantage of.

If it is bothersome, then education seem to be one of the most potent remedies for it; as in learning an innate distinction between harm and pain, not fearing the ephemeral, dismiss fears of being insane, or whatever other worries might arise from these experiences.

I'm curious to hear, considering that this was posted 16 months ago, what the situation is like nowadays, was something seen on the cameras? Even just sleep-walking would be interesting insight.

• Posted

Hi,

i too had similar experience. i have tried to search everywhere about it but most of the people's experience is associated with being unable to move and not like ours.

I wake up in the night some time more than one and happens in any hours of night. sometime I see people and sometime some thing like a deity bright light behind them or big cobra " bigger than me" hovering top of me. i can see them and i can move very well and i am very conscious. i try to turn on light and when i remove my sight to find torch or switch they vanish. sometimes i try to cover myself with blanket saying its just a dream but if i remove blanket after some time around 30 seconds they are still there. now-days i try to sleep with night lamp on so that i don't see them anymore. with light on while sleeping i am experience this every less. now-days if i wake up in the night sometime i see like shapes of person of like a sketch but not as much as before.

• Posted

i am on bisoprolol and have SVT MITRAL VALVE prolapse , i see people,lights and shapes in the night. i,m glad i,m not the only one! i thought it may be down to my age 74.

• Posted

I also have the same thing. Starting in my teens, and sleeping in different homes. Most of the people are males, older. couple of time females. They don't go away until I jump out of bed, or start swinging at it. I can stare at them for a while. Kind of scary waking up and seeing someone looking at you. I was in my late 40's and saw them a lot, almost every night. thought about see a doctor about it, never did. Most of the time they are just standing next to my bed, or standing over me. that's the ones that gets me jumping out of bed. I'm in my mid 50's now, don't see them as often, once or twice a month. its never anyone I know.

Thanks.

KT

• Posted

You are being visited by spirits. Mostly benevolent.

It happens to me all of the tine. You must be a special person. If they look surprised they may surprised to see you there.

• Posted

Hello Kat,

I'm experiencing this "phenomena" to. Almost 13 years now. It started around age 25.

I'm interested have you found any method that would help to protect yourself from these visits? I would really like it stop, because I get scared every time it happens and it doesn't seem to go away with time. After all I am only cool with guests in my house that I actually invited myself. Or maybe I do invite them in some unconscious way? I would be grateful if you shared your opinion in this. Feel free to dm me if that suits you better. Thanks

• Posted

I have had it happen to me 1 time and it was right in my face but i could not really see the face clear the closet light was on so it made it harder to see

• Posted

So this might be a long shot but, one night around 3 am i woke up and saw this girl standing in front of my door (the door was still closed) & (my light was still on) but when i looked over she was just staring at me. i remember exactly what she looked like. she was wearing a white gown with straight black hair and looked like she was drenched in water, like maybe she was drowned but when i turned over and counted to three and looked back up she was gone. idk what it could have been or why she was just standing there all i know is i was awake and as soon as happened i grabbed my phone and called a friend. no one believes me tho. btw i fell asleep with my light on so when i woke up it was still on but saw this random girl

• Edited

Actually mine started when I was 4 years old,I would wake up every night to use the bathroom and walking threw the house I would see a house full of people never monsters but it actually happened every night up to I turned 14 years old.i always thought I had problems,at the age of 51 it has started again and now at 55 years old it has been happening for 4 years straight what is going on with me am I crazy

• Edited

hi,

i have had the identical experience.

i will wake in the middle of the night and have people standing by my bed staring at me. i usually sit up in fright and scream at them to get out. who wants strangers lurking over their bed right? they usually fade away with 20 seconds

They look like regular humans. always different and always curious and focused on me.

i am healthy, on no meds and this has been happening randomly over 10 years.

I asked an enlightened master about the experience. His take was that in those states between sleep and waking you are more attuned to other realms and that you are actually crossing over into their realm, your mind then projects a human form onto the being so you can relate to them and they sense youe acknowledgement and are curious about your consciousness recognising them in their realm.

just another take. thanks for sharing your experience ☺️

• Edited

I know what causes this in my own case, but yours may not be caused by the same thing.

There is a transmitter in the brain called acetylcholine, which improves mental focus and learning. When you take something that increases the amount of acetylcholine available, either by providing its precursor choline, or by stopping acetylcholine from being broken down, it can result in vivid dreams, and waking dreams. Sertraline and amitryptiline are both substances that, among other things, stop choline and acetylcholine from breaking down.

Substances that exhibit such activity are called anticholinesterase inhibitors, which is a bit of a mouthful.

See https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12009429/

But there are commonly used herbs that will do the same thing.

Sage is one of them.

https://www.nature.com/articles/1300907#:~:text=Salvia%20officinalis%20(sage)%20has%20previously,mood%20in%20healthy%20young%20participants.

I find personally, that if I combine my sertraline medication with an evening meal that has sage, or especially rosemary, I have vivid dreams and waking dreams.

Other food spices may do the same thing.

• Edited

This is such an interesting thread! I have had many experiences like this as well, throughout my life. I've had damn near every parasomnia - sleep walking and talking, night terrors, sleep paralysis, hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, insomnia, delayed circadian rhythm - and found out about a new one just the other day (which is what led me here), it's called complex nocturnal visual hallucinations (CNVH).

CNVH seem almost like a more intense form of hypnopompic hallucinations and are characterised by being fully awake and having mostly visual (sometimes auditory and tactile) hallucinations that occur in the dark and will fade after a few seconds to a few minutes, or as soon as you turn on a light. Common hallucinations are people, animals, and paisley type patterns that are commonly stationary, but sometimes move. Sometimes the images can be distorted, but they are incredibly vivid. Being fully awake, the vividness of the hallucinations, and their occurring only in the dark seems to be what differentiates them from other hypnopompic hallucinations.

I read a case study of three people who had them and interestingly they all experienced seeing spiders, among other things, and I have this vivid memory from childhood of waking up and seeing a spider on my ceiling slowly come down and bite me. When I screamed my mother came in and told me there was neither a spider nor a bite mark anywhere.

Like many of you I also frequently saw an old man standing in the corner of my room staring at me and I was fascinated to see this is a common one. Who is this man? Another time I saw my mother burst into my room screaming like she was possessed - that was a particularly upsetting one.

These were most intense in my childhood but still happen from time to time. I have been sleeping with a light in my room though forever. They are also totally disconnected from sleep paralysis as I can move freely. Sleep paralysis I only get if I'm having a nightmare and wake myself up (something I somehow learned to do automatically in childhood when I would have frequent nightmares) and in those episodes there are no hallucinations.

While there is no treatment officially, some early studies have shown melatonin can help lessen their frequency - worth a try! And sleeping with a light on does seems to help. And while they are sometimes connected to medical disorders such as Lewy Body Dementia or narcolepsy, as well as some medications, such as beta blockers, they also occur totally randomly in the population as well, in people with or without any mental illness diagnoses.

Medical explanations aside, I'm not sure they aren't something more. Someone mentioned that a shaman discussed the sensitivity of the transitory time between sleep and wake to other realms or beings. I like this explanation as well. While I don't fully jump into these lines of reasoning, I've had enough strange experiences in my life not to discard them completely, and I find them to be fascinating on their own. For me, the time these experiences would happen most intensely was during my childhood in one particular house, in one particular room! After my brother moved away I moved into his room and they nearly stopped. Weird things would also happen in that room as well (things falling on their own, door slamming, etc.). One night my friend slept in there and when we woke in the morning he looked totally ragged like he hardly slept, the first thing he said to me was "something is really wrong with that room!" So, you never know!

The best thing for me personally was to learn about and explore all my weird night time phenomena from many angles - embrace it. I'm learning to lucid dream again (I used to when I was a child but was never very good at it), which is fun but also scary. We spend a third of our lives sleeping (ideally) and for most it's a mostly uneventful time, but I get to have some memorable experiences, so that's pretty cool.

Best wishes and (hopefully) sweet dreams to all!

K.

• Posted

i feel like we have 2 really similar experiences. I myself struggled as a child , i dont want to be the person who shouts "ive seen ghosts" but the house i lived in as a child was extremely haunted. To the point where my mum would wake up thinking id been abducted , and theyd search the house and there use to be a little tiny cupboard (it was an old house) which would lead through the walls, and she'd find me in the walls of the house, id wake up with scratches down my back and id complain that someone was trying to hurt me in the night (i was around 8 years old, i wasnt exposed to any horror movies at that age) it was a very weird house. My mum and dad are now divorced and dont talk to each other, yet they both tell me the exact same ghost stories that use to happen in that house. And it really mentally makes me think, is what am seeing now (as a 22 year old) all in my head, or is it something more!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.