Seeing People at night

Posted , 24 users are following.

My first post! I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen, I know it is quite common but I can't find anything online that matches what I experience.

I wake up at night (this has happened quite a few times now) and see someone standing over the bed, or in the doorway. I have read online about sleep paralysis and understand I am possibly still dreaming but what is different is, I can move. I know normally you can't, but I can, I turn my head away from the person and turn my head back to see them still there. I even grab my phone and shine my light, they go but when I turn my phone off and it is dark again they are there. I don't know if this is another type of sleep paralysis but it is freaky as hell!

The worst was when I lived in another house, I had an office desk that at the end of the room. I woke and there was a skinny, creature, long teeth, mostly bone crouched on top of the desk. It was cocking its head and looking at me, almost like it wanted to jump off the desk towards me. Again I could move and even woke my partner up, but then when I looked back it was gone. Normally the people are that, just people, not monsters or demon like. The last one was last night, there was a man in army clothing, world war 1/2 type uniform, his face was clear and detailed, I didn't recognise him at all.

But yeah, that's it, I am not really sure what I want to get out of this post, maybe more opinions or if anyone else has had the same, but I find it strange how I have all my motor functions and can move, looked away and back to see them still there.

P.s I have noticed this has happened more since being on 25mg of Amitriptyline for headaches and blackouts. I had this happen before the headaches and blackouts and was put onto a daily dose of Amitriptyline.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have had the same symtoms as you since i was 7 years old (im now 22) i actually have my first doctors call back tomorrow about it as its got to a point where i could potentially harm my partner with my actions. ive had very similar encounters as you. my scariest was when i was lying in bed with my partner (we always have our door half open half closed) and i wake up and i see a figure of a mans head appear round the door as if hes checking if were asleep. I clock him, he clocks me and and he begins to walk into the room and just stops, turns towards our bed and just stands there. He mustve been about 6Ft or more, it was terrifying & i just screamed. Ive only had 1 or 2 encounters where ive not been scared. the first one was when i was about 15, i was in bed and there was a little boy curled up on the floor next to my bed with his head down, i sat up and said hello, he looked right at me (he seemed very innocent and not scary) and he had a really kind smile and tried to pass me a piece of paper , as if there was something on it i needed to read , and for about 2 minutes i was leaning and reaching trying to grab this paper and telling him it was OK , as soon as i grabbed the paper he vanished into thin air.. The 2nd time was a few weeks back now, i was in bed with my partner and i woke up and felt a presence , looked around couldnt see anything, i turned behind me (in the back corner of the room next to my bedside) and i saw a man in a suit, this was my first encounter where ive saw someone in detail , as in face, hair, expression.. everything. the only thing that was different was he wasnt looking at me this time, he was looking straight ahead, all i remember is i was trying to get this guys attention and i was telling him it was gonna be OK as i felt be was lost. I have researched and i think the common term is Hypnogogic Hallucinations , its like sleep paralysis except youre not paralysed, which i suppose makes it scarier as you dont know whats real and whats not when youre out of bed with full mobility!

• Posted

I have had the same symtoms as you since i was 7 years old (im now 22) i actually have my first doctors call back tomorrow about it as its got to a point where i could potentially harm my partner with my actions. ive had very similar encounters as you. my scariest was when i was lying in bed with my partner (we always have our door half open half closed) and i wake up and i see a figure of a mans head appear round the door as if hes checking if were asleep. I clock him, he clocks me and and he begins to walk into the room and just stops, turns towards our bed and just stands there. He mustve been about 6Ft or more, it was terrifying & i just screamed. Ive only had 1 or 2 encounters where ive not been scared. the first one was when i was about 15, i was in bed and there was a little boy curled up on the floor next to my bed with his head down, i sat up and said hello, he looked right at me (he seemed very innocent and not scary) and he had a really kind smile and tried to pass me a piece of paper , as if there was something on it i needed to read , and for about 2 minutes i was leaning and reaching trying to grab this paper and telling him it was OK , as soon as i grabbed the paper he vanished into thin air.. The 2nd time was a few weeks back now, i was in bed with my partner and i woke up and felt a presence , looked around couldnt see anything, i turned behind me (in the back corner of the room next to my bedside) and i saw a man in a suit, this was my first encounter where ive saw someone in detail , as in face, hair, expression.. everything. the only thing that was different was he wasnt looking at me this time, he was looking straight ahead, all i remember is i was trying to get this guys attention and i was telling him it was gonna be OK as i felt be was lost. I have researched and i think the common term is Hypnogogic Hallucinations , its like sleep paralysis except youre not paralysed, which i suppose makes it scarier as you dont know whats real and whats not when youre out of bed with full mobility!

• Posted

that does happen to me but i see the same person not every night i dont know much but it could be a type of sleep paralysis

• Posted

hi,

I've been dealing with this for the last 13 years. it comes and goes but never really stops and freaks me out every time it happens. the best natural solution that I was able to come up is wearing a sleeping mask. it worked for me and I hope it will be useful to you too. take care everybody. it's great to know that I'm not alone in this.

• Posted

I realise this is an old thread but thought I'd weigh in. Ive suffered from a similar condition all my life too. I'm nearly 30 now and have had vivid dreams since i can remember. In my adult life, I started to get hallucinations but not as others on here have described as its definitely not a paralysis of any kind. I wake from a dream (usually a nightmare) to see a figure in my room that's unrelated to the dream completely. This has happened in lots of different rooms of different houses over the years. The figure is sometimes detailed, sometimes not. I'm almost always fearful of the figure and shout at it to go away. The figure can be anywhere in the room and in any point in my field of vision. I've seen figures dressed as American football players helmets and all, little girls in creepy pink dresses, faceless figures wearing my clothes and more. They only go once I turn the light on. Ive tried ignoring and staring them out and they just move closer (like in Dr Who and the Stone Angels). I know I'm not in paralysis as my partner wakes up from me kicking my legs in defence, shouting, jumping out of bed and turning lights on. Its pretty anxiety inducing and doesn't seem related to the disorders people have listed above. I've accepted it for what it is but so good to know I'm not alone. Interesting to know what others think too. Sleep and dreams have always fascinated me as they feel more like memories to me and I find it crazy that people like my brother never remember their dreams or have any troubles at all! Anyway, sleep is a funny thing and good to chat about 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.