Seemingly random episodes of extreme nausea, profuse sweating, racing heartbeat etc.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I am seeking some help diagnosing a strange issue that I’ve been having since I was about 10 (now 19). 

Basically, I experience roughly 5 minute long episodes of extreme nausea, dizziness, sweating, clammyness, racing heartbeat, and even sometimes impaired vision (blurry/black). I also tend to experience quite intense blocked wind after and muscle aches as well as strong fatigue. These seem to be completely random, I have had about 8-9 of them in my life and they have been at various times including during regular classes at school, after dropping something on my foot and most recently at a party whilst fairly intoxicated. There is no discernible pattern and that’s what sucks.

I know it doesn’t sound like a particularly bad problem and when they happen I remain very calm and in control of myself, but after several years i am more bothered by the constant fear of one happening during something important or embarrassing. Other than this I am a perfectly fit young man, exercising 3-4 times a week and maintaining a balanced Vegetarian diet. The only history of something remotely similar in my family is my mother’s IBS. So any help in diagnosing would be much appreciated. I have pretty much quashed any possibility of it being a panic/anxiety attack, hypoglycaemia, low blood sugar, heat stroke or dehydration.

Many Thanks,

Joe

1 like, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Joe2018

Do you do regular intense and lengthy exercise?....

• Posted

Yes, not always very lengthy but often quite intense.
    • Posted

Hi Joe2018

The reason i asked about the intense exercise is that when you do intense exercise your adrenals release high volumes of cortisol which can cause digestive problems, combined with high cortisol levels can give rise to tiredness, dizziness, profuse sweating and nausea. Can you recall if the episodes ever took place after exercise....

• Posted

Hi Joe2018

I think you should pay a visit to your doctor. All the suggestions made to you are not helping. You may be suffering some kind of seizures if it has been going on for a number of years and getting them at random episodes. Go see your doctor and explain your symptoms to him/her....

• Posted

Hello,

Yes I think that might be a good idea, only issue is that it has such generic symptoms that I don’t think it would be particularly easy for them to diagnose, hence all the trouble I’m having on here. 

Thank you for your help. 

• Posted

Hi Joe2018

A good place for the doctor to start is to do a complete blood count and also request specific vitamin and mineral blood tests. Also for doctor to refer you for an ECG heart monitor with regard with racing heart beat and an ultrasound scan to see if all is well in your abdomen regarding bloating and gas. Also, regarding your blurred vision i would go see an opthalmologist and have an eye test....

• Posted

Do a process of elimination regarding all your symptoms and see what is the end result..best wishes for a diagnosis...
    • Posted

I will give the doctor call at some point and discuss the options. But all the symptoms that I described are only during the attacks, I don’t have a fast heart beat normally, and the gas is only following the attack for an hour or so. So I don’t know that they are long term issues or conditions that will show up under any observation. Likewise with the vision, only momentary. 

Thank you again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.