self catheterisation

Posted , 11 users are following.

can anyone tell me the name of the anesthetic gel to use

when inserting an intermittant catheter Thanks

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What caths are you using?  And is yours a special condition that requires numbing?  I cathed 4-5 times a day for 15 months, and never needed such, so I'm curious...
    • Posted

hi had turp 7 yr ago now its starting again was thinking of self  cathing
  • Posted

I've never used an anasthetic gel but heard that some use lidocaine. When I used a lubricant I used something called Surgilube. Currently I use a hydrophilic catheter which doesn't require any external lube. Are you new to self catherization? Except for the first couple of weeks there really shouldn't be any pain to speak of, so not sure why you would need an anasthetic gel. If you haven't tried a hydrophilic catheter, you might want to. They are very slippery so go in real easy without any sort of external lubricant. The one I use is Speedicath by Coloplast. 

Jim

• Posted

I ditto Jimjames thoughts and I also use Speedicaths.  No problems in 18 months of daily use...

• Posted

Ditto again to Cartoonman and JimJames. Coloplast SpeediCaths are superb for those seeking a frictionless and painless emptying of the bladder, which presumably is the majority or the membership. I was impressed with these catheters the moment I tried one out, but I was greedy and had gotten 18 Fr samples which were too big for my stricture.

So, mostly inspired by Cartoonman's enthusiam, I talked my Uro into writing me a scrip for some SpeediCaths. Thank you Cartoonman and the others participating in this valuble Forum. 

• Posted

Thanks, Alan.  And yes, hydrophillic is SO much better than otherwise.  I had a crusty Serbian nurse named Laura (She said her name was  "LOW-ra (Rhymns with OW-ra!) who attacked me with one of those rubber caths.  She was so fiendish, that I had an instant past-life-recall event, and recognized her from a previous incarnation during the Spanish Inquisition.

She was nicer this time around, though not by much...  :-P    

Go with silicon, go with self-lubed, no breaking little water bags to wet the cath, etc.  Coloplast.  Speedicath.  THey're long and straight, and there are numerous ways to slip them up your pant leg, down your boot, down your shirt, should you need to slip by the crowds to get to the loo...  :-)

• Posted

Gordon,

Lidocaine Hydrochloride Jelly USP.

If you are concerned with pain and lubrication you should get a catheter that is self lubricating - hydrophilic. 

Tom

• Posted

Another good hydrophillic catheter, the one I have used for past three years, is Magic3 by Rochester Medical.

I cath 4x day and have never needed any lubricant beyond the water-based slick coating on the catheters themselves.  At the tail end of the visit where that was determined as the way to go, the urologist's nurse did one for me, and then I prepped another and tried it with her stan ding there, and I was only moderately concerned for a week or so until I got used to the process.

Now it's like the proverbial "riding a bicycle", and rarely is there any sensation other than a little pressure.

Good luck.

• Posted

Carry-on CMDR,

There is definitely a "learning curve" involved with self cath. The first time I tried it was in the urologists office - very painful and I was not able to complete the insertion.

I then sent for some samples of hydrophilic catheters. On my second attempt, I was able to complete the process, but it took quite a while. The next time was easier and faster. 

However, I found the Foley catheter to be a much easier process and told my doctor to have the nurse put the Foley back in. 

I have read on this forum that self cath gets easier with time. I am sure the urethral tissues get used to it. 

I only had prostate swelling for 5 weeks, so am off any catheters now. I do not take for granted the ability to just go to any bathroom and pee. It's still not easy but at least I can go on my own. 

Tom

• Posted

Haven't ever needed anaesthetic, but I think the nurse used some for indwelling catheter insertion
    • Posted

I've never known those to be hydrophilic, hence the need for lube, sometimes with anaesthetic.  My son had one after a severe collapsed lung and emergency surgery for same.
  • Posted

Whatever you do, I'd suggest you stay the hell away from RUBBER caths!  The team used one on me during a dr. visit in August, after I'd been cathing with the hydrophyllic (fancy word for self-lubing caths!) for a year.  The rubber hurt and pulled, even with the lubricant, and I was sore for 2 weeks.  A word to the wise... !
  • Posted

Recently when I had my catheter inserted at urgent care... Lidocaine was used.
  • Posted

I have self cath for 2 years an never used any numbing medication...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.