self catheterisation

Posted , 11 users are following.

can anyone tell me the name of the anesthetic gel to use

when inserting an intermittant catheter Thanks

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hopefully I can help you out on this one. Most of the commonly available lubricants I looked at contained a 2% of lidocane plus bacteriostats. From experimentation I found I was possibly reacting badly to the latter. The reaction manifested itself as noticeable but bearable stinging about a half hour after application.

The lidocane I could do without as described in the following.

When one self-caths one becomes the operator and should ideally keep a clear head to deal with any emergency that may arise. Pain is your body's warning alarm; ideally nothing should be done to mute this safety device, or diminish its intensity.

A quick analogy: I get into my car and find that the wind shield is smudged. I will do what ever may be necessary to restore clear vision.

Much the same with self-cathing. I must respond to all sensations. Some will idicate progress in the right direction; some will do the opposite, pain being one of the most important of these. If cathing hurts, then stop!

So, a critical step is to keep the lidocane, or whatever the analgesic used, down to the minimum that you can tolerate, even though this may not be the only potential source of pain.

• Posted

Wow; very smart.

I've never needed a pain deadener, but never considered the potential benefits of being able to react to a "snag".

Stinging, usually going in as well as coming out when it occurs (infrequent), is the worst I have encountered.  There are times when I've had to push a bit more than usual, and it would be good to have biological feedback at that point.

• Posted

If you regularly have any trouble passing a self catheter, you may prefer the tip called a tiemann tip (sometimes called coude tip), which is somewhat pointed and also bent to one side. The bend must be towards the body, imagine the route the catheter must take to realise why so - down then back, then up again and under in a u-shaped path. The pointed tip is much more able to work it's way past the obstruction of an enlarged prostate with no pain at all.

For Speedicaths (yes, another ++ vote), the model number is 28492 for the fr12 size I use.

• Posted

I do have to offer a cautionary "OTOH" on the hooked cath that gbhall mentions.  Early on in my cathing career, the distributor accidentally sent me a box of them, along with the regulars.  They had talked of giving me different types to try... and I used them, and--- BLOODY HELL!   Even using them the correct way, as gbh mentions, they hurt, and lots.  When I complained, at next order time, she said, "Send em back."  I said, "I can't, I used 'em."  "well, then," said she, "No refund!"  My insides still remember the pain those nasty little items caused.  They ARE appropriate for "certain conditions," or so I am told.  Apparently, I don't have any of those conditions.  Regular, only, for this user!  :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.