Selincro 2 weeks in

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

A quick query and an update on my status. So I have been taking Selincro for two weeks now and can't really see a difference in my alcohol consumption. I was told by my prescribed I would notice a change straight away - she informed me that everyone that prescribed the drug to acknowledged an instant reduction, I myself have not.

After reading Paul's and Joanna's advice I have gathered that it can take longer than this, as long as I take the tablet two hours before I drink - which I have been doing meticulously.

I'm just starting to worry that this drug doesn't work for me. Going just on advice on this forum I have a fair way to go before I notice a difference and need to persevere, but after meeting with my prescriber I feel a bit of a failure - why aren't I one of the few who notices an instant change in consumption when taking the first tablet?

I've spoke about this before, asking if I'm doing anything wrong. But it seems as if I'm not.

Has anyone else on Selincro persevered through the first two weeks and noticed a difference after that?

Many thanks for your time.

0 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I'll look through the TSM sites to see if any other Selincro users reported something similar, though I've read about people using Naltexone that didn't see much difference at first. 

Other meds may have an impact, like benzodiazepines, maybe some antidepressants SSRI's (big maybe there). I know that Naltrexone doesn't work the same way for everyone, especially just starting out (like Joanna was saying). 

• Posted

Hello BK522. I am taking Selincro. This was day 13. Are you filling in the little boxes on the pack re your alcohol consumption?  I count it up every day and write down the Units. I have reduced from 20 to 10, but the road is rocky! I have had a 20 day, on route.  I wanted everything to be faster, but I now realise it will take as long as it takes.  We are all different. I found the 2hour wait, really hard but now...I am fine with it. I had a big blip when I didn't feel the "alcohol effect" at all, one day.  I kept drinking more. This stage is very difficult.  It is "the effect" that I crave. I want to feel "tipsy".  I am sticking with the tablet, though, because I need to keep reducing. My health is poor. I do not want to let alcohol kill me. A few months ago, I was in A.&E. three times. I had drunk a bottle of vodka 40%, each time. No control whatsoever. I had bruises and loss of memory....as well as racing heart and bad temper! Not in the "tipsy" zone, at all.  I am desperate for Selincro to help me reduce and gain control. Stick with it. What day are you at, with it? I believe it will work. Joanna helped me to realise that I have to let it do its job. We have to work with it.  It has a very good success rate.  I think it is our best chance. 

Good Luck, 

Alonangel🎇

• Posted

Hi again, BK522.  I will be at the 2 week stage tomorrow, with the Selincro.  I forgot to ask you earlier...How do you "feel", when you drink, now.  You might just be drinking on, out of habit.  I think I do.  Trying to be mindful is hard for me.  We have to ask ourselves if we really want each drink.  If it is there... I drink it.  I am reducing Units by having less available. Then I do battle with my habit of going to the shop for more. I do not go since starting Selincro. Do you keep a stock of drink, at home? I can't. I would drink the lot. How often do you buy drink?  Could you buy less, to help you taper down gradually?

Think about it.....I find that hard, too !

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I would say just keep doing what you're doing, I was eight months before I noticed a difference.

I was also on Venlafaxine, an antidepressant which was causing the opposite, very strong alcohol cravings. Some people seem to get an instant reaction but there is often a honeymoon period then their drinking increases again before decreasing.

I didn't notice a huge effect when I was actually drinking I just suddenly found after eight months that I was able to decide not to drink at all some days. So instead of having the usual fight with myself "shouldn't drink today", "might drink today", "am drinking today ", I was able to say "do I REALLY want to?" and often found that was no.

• Posted

I am on day 45 of taking Selincro, and like you after 2 weeks i did not feel any different in myself, BUT my drinking has gradually reduced from 110units+ pw to currently less than 70 pw. I do not think this is only down to Selincro but also additional will power, with Selincro as a "crutch". I also think my weekly counselling and alchol awareness group meetings, (NOT AA) help. Having read it will typically take 3 - 4 months and possibly 9 - 12 months, I am planning to keep trying. Patience is one of my only virtues.
  • Posted

Update on a Friday night, I've kept it to 13 units all week as I know I have work the next day, come Friday I am a free woman, nothing to wake up for and always capitalise on that. I have again drank one bottle of wine but gone the shop for another and will in essence drink this second bottle. I would have had to chain myself to the radiator to stop myself going to the shop for the second bottle - hence the level of my addiction.

As before, still feeling downbeat because prescriber said I'd cut down instantly, current events prove I have not.

I remember reading posts where it said I wouldn't even need willpower to cut down, but something tells me I'm the exception and I do. Again this brings me back to my previous post/thought that this drug won't work for me.

I waited 2 hours 15 before after I took my tablet before I drank and this has made no difference. Will persevere obviously as I have a month's prescription, even if I am a lost cause at the end of it, at least I kept going through the entire prescription.

Joanna I'm wondering if it might benefit me if I spoke to you at some point - obviously when you are available. I know you are a busy and very generous women, but I have read about your Skype talks in order to make people mindful of their drinking? Perhaps this is the step I need in the right direction.

Many thanks

• Posted

I waited 2 hours 15 after I took my tablet before I drank* that should read.
    • Posted

Yes, of course, we can arrange that smile. These sessions do seem to provide a focus and benefit for most people.  Then, in time if you need to touch base we can continue for the coming weeks until you feel you have your wings and can continue onwards.  It is completely flexible and is pretty much as you feel you need.

What we tend to do is start the skype after you have taken the tablet and the time to drink is almost near.

We then chat as you are drinking that first drink, discuss how it feels, what your brain is telling you and when you really start to consider how it feels, it is amazing how quickly time passes and yet you have probably only had one drink in that time.  At the same time, we can chat about how to keep moving forwards and avoiding any pitfalls, or planning ahead for any known events that week, or weekend ahead.

There is no shame or recriminations in it because I have been there and done it myself, so you won't be 'discovering' anything that I never thought myself.  I understand how difficult it is to begin something new with so much conflicting information out there.

This can take as long as you wish - for the majority of these initial skype sessions that I do, it is usually around an hour because without you really being aware of it, I am aiming to get you into a new 'habit' of taking much longer of that first drink.

So, this really depends on when you tend to be taking your first drink of the day as that is the time that we need to be looking at skypeing.

Have a think and then pm me and we will set something up.  To give you an idea of the coming days, I should be available Saturday and Sunday afternoon/early evening.  Monday would be early afternoon, same with Tuesday.  If any of those tend to fit in with your usual drinking pattern, then that would be perfect!

Joanna

x

• Posted

Hi BK522.  Thanks for your support, earlier tonight.  You are a much younger woman than me.  I drank too much, earlier in my life.  I did not realise the danger. You do. You are trying to sort it.  My problem has just grown on, with me. It is Hellish !  My life has been in danger.  I am so ashamed of the mess I have made of things. You can turn things around, keep taking the Selincro.  I just believe it is the best option for us. I have tried other medication. This different way is better. It may be slower than we want.  As long as it is working, we need to let it.  I find it hard ,as I have little patience. You have a better future if you don't let alcohol rule your life. We don't realise the power it has over us. Well, I do, now. Thanks for your support. I really needed it.

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

I had a thought while reading these replies.  I haven't responded to them because I do not have experience with this tablet.  BUT, I think if I were in the situation of BK and Alon....I would take the pill upon wakening...because I know when I want to drink...there is not a 2 hour period that I could usually wait...

Knowing that you are addicted...and knowing that you are going to drink during that specific day.  Why not take the pill upon waking?  Then when you want to drink...the 2 hours will have probably passed.

​I know when I was drinking...I couldn't wait 2 hours upon waking.  UNLESS...I had no way of getting the alcohol or there was no alcohol around.  If I were on this pill I think I said it....I would be taking it upon awakening.

• Posted

I think for it to work, it needs a bit of help, i.e. trying to drink less, trying to start later in the day, trying to drink a little more slowly.

I think if you want to 'beat' the pill and carry on as before, your will power will get you there. Think of it as a partnership.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.