Selincro

Posted , 6 users are following.

Still somenone eating Selincro and It helps?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I gather English is not your first language, which makes it a little difficult to understand your question.

If you mean, are people still taking Selincro and is it working for them, then the answer is yes. Providing they follow the guidelines.

• Posted

Yes I live in Sweden and I have been eating similar medication called Naltrexone but I dont think it helps a lot, now I can buy It her but It is so expensive so I just wonder If it works better than Naltrexone. I am goint to try Selincro anyway. I have been drinking beer every day for many years, but I do work and dont get so much hangovers. I use to drink about 6 beers a day I am 50 years old.
    • Posted

Selincro (nalmefene) is very similar to naltrexone, not much difference. Personally I would stick with the naltrexone if it is much cheaper. How do you get the medication, through  a doctor or privately?

The important thing with these two drugs, is that they need to be taken and used in a specific way for them to work, you can't just swallow a pill and think that will work. Do you take the pill and wait an hour before drinking, do you only take the pill when you are going to drink.

BTW, 50 is a good age (same as me), I too used to drink 6 -8 pints a day. Mind you, beer prices in Britain are lower than Sweden.

• Posted

What do you take are you drinking or not
    • Posted

No, I have stopped drinking. I went into hospital for treatment about 18 months ago and whilst I was there, they did tests and told me I needed to stop drinking.

I took diazepam to help come off the alcohol and I now take Campral (acamprosate) to help with the craving, so I don't start drinking again.

There are a number of people on this forum that use naltrexone and Selincro, and they will come and post some answers and help regarding these medications later on. So do check the forum later today.

• Posted

It it the doctor who gave me the medications. I have trouble stopping drinking because I feel so relaxed with some beers after work. My twinbrother drinks too but not every day but when he begins he cant stop. I think I should drink more If it was not for my to dogs (chihuahua) I have to take care of them every day so I cant get so drunk. The worst is the big belly I hate. I use to be pretty and skinny now I feel ugly and fat. I tried last year a medications called Topimax It worked for a while but then It stopped. Campral dont work but Naltrexone more.
    • Posted

Well the beer gut (big belly) won't be just down to fat. you probably have an enlarged liver, which increases your gut size. You may also have ascites (fluid in the stomach lining) which will also increase your gut size. An indication of ascities would be swollen ankles or feet, sometimes lower leg, so where the top of your sock is, leaves a mark against your lower leg,

Has your doctor done blood tests and has he checked you over physically?

• Posted

Yes a year ago and then I had everything good, no swollen feet yet,

but It will sure appear if i continue everyday, maybe I should go and have a check. Problem is that I usually drink al lot of fluid (beer) and

that is also not healthy for the kidney...I am surprisingly healthy still but

I have a lot of fat around my belly mu waist is now 85 cm, all fat

because of the alcohol the calories....

I want to stop and also not..maybe if the doctor says I cant any more like my cousine (who also drank and now is souber) than I should stop.

How much do you used to drink a day? I drink 6 bears a day....at least and maybe more in weekends....

• Posted

8 pints (568ml). Well, four pints in the pub and then four cans (500ml) at home afterwards.

And yes, I miss it everyday. If I could go back to drinking and still be healthy (which you cannot on 8 pints), I would. But if I went back to drinking the way I did, I would die. I am also not someone that can have a couple of drinks, and leave it at that.

• Posted

The life seem more like a party when you can drink...

when I stopped for a month It all wa so kind of boring sitting in a bar with cola.....I usually dont go out since I have dogs lucky otherwise I should do many stupid things....now I can go to sleep when I am drunk...

• Posted

Campral does work, but you need to have had either a week's detox, or not drunk for a week before you first start taking it.
  • Posted

Hi Bibi,

C3 Foundation Europe is a voluntary organisation that help support people using naltrexone or Selincro.

One of the ladies involved speaks fluid Swedish.  She is going to write you a message shortly, which I will post on this forum shortly.

Then I will Private Message you her email address, and you can communicate with her in Swedish which I am sure will be much better for you.  It will be much easier for you to understand what you need to be doing with naltrexone -there is no need to swap to Selincro.

Will post again to you shortly.

Joanna

C3 Europe

• Posted

Hi Bibi,

If you’d like to continue posting in English, that’s obviously fine, but if you’d find it easier to do this in Swedish, please contact me. I speak Swedish and work as a volunteer with C Three Europe. You might also like to go to our sister organisation’s website at C Three Foundation where several of the most important pages about TSM have been translated into Swedish.

Hej Bibi!

Det går självklart bra om du vill fortsätta på engelska men om det vore enklare för dig att ta det här på svenska, v.g. kontakta mig. Jag är svensktalande och jobbar frivilligt med C Three Europe. Sedan kan du också besöka vår systerorganisation, C Three Foundation där många av de viktigaste sidorna om TSM har översatts till svenska.

• Posted

Hej Va kul vad bor du och vad jobbar du med? Jag bor i Stockholm och är 50 år och alkoholist fast jag har jobb och dricker varje dag öl. Jag har en tvillingbror också. Vi har 2 hundar. Jag tror jag skulle vara mera alkis om jag inte hade mina hundar för jag älskar dem så mycket och måste ta hand om dem och dessutom har jag ett bra jobb som jag är rädd om.

Jag äter Naltrexone nu 2 om dagen. Jag skulle vilja prova Selinvro de är inte subventsionerade i Sverige kostar 45 styck 1500 kr men skall testa ändå. Trött på dricka öl varje dag dyrt och har en stor fet mage.

• Posted

Bibi

I sent you an email address by private message yesterday for the lady who can help you.  She speaks Swedish, I do not!

I will send you another private message with the email again.

Please send your message to her and she can understand it and reply to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.