Selincro has reduced my drinking but ..................!

Posted , 18 users are following.

I have contributed to this forum on many occassions. I was probably one of the first people around the UK ( well England ) to be prescribed Selincro by my GP earlier this year.  My story is well documented in earlier postings on this forum.

I have gone through all the usual issues identified when starting to take this drug and got through the difficult period to settle down into a lifestyle of being more in control of my drinking and only taking the tablet 2 -3 times a week on those days I am likely to have a drink.  Recently I have taken a tablet just because it was Friday and there maybe a chance that I have a drink , even though I didn't fancy a drink at the time or went to have a drink and didn't enjoy it so left it at one.  So it can be said that everything has been a success.

Not quite though !  You see I want to be able to have a couple of days when I do enjoy a drink. Whether it be at home with my wife or out with friends. The problem is that although the side effects of the drug have greatly subsided when I do take a tablet ( Infrequesntly now )  I still feel strange., cold clammy forehead, slight nausia and some light headedness ( best way I can describe it) plus it seems to increase my tinitus. There are other things difficult to describe also.  I guess that if I then went on to enjoy the rest of the evening I could accept that but I increasingly find that I would be better off not drinking at all.  Now that would be great for those people who have been recommended total abstinence but it was never my intention and my GP was supportive of that. The intention was just to cut down the amount of alcohol intake and to have alcohol free days. 

So I am at a cross roads now.  To continue as I am or stop the Selincro. From what I have read and been told, once you start it should be for life. ( Mind I was not aware of that when I commenced on the treatment ) I understand that if I was to stop my brain would readjust and a desire for alcohol reward would increase.  All I want is to be well enough to enjoy a drink a couple of nights a week. 

I know it is still early days in the UK but has there been any research into those considered as having a ' mild dependance on alcohol  ' who commenced Selincro with success and then went onto to try and manage their drinking without the drug.   

In my case I feel I have broken the habit of having drink everyday , even though my wife continues to have a drink and there is alcohol in the house. I don't want to go back to drinking 60 - 80 units per week but at the same time I am unhappy with my present situation. 

0 likes, 68 replies

68 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I haven't read any replies yet because my computer is very slow on this site and I wanted to put in my 2 cents.

I say stop taking the pill.....see how you do.  Because you know the pill works if you become out of control again...you can return to the pill right?

Who knows, maybe it has changed your brain.  You won't know until you try.

• Posted

The pill might not necessarily work the second time around or the third or fourth, for reasons that not even the scientists don't fully understand yet.  They suggest it may be because the neural pathways in the brain become stronger when the drinking behaviour is relearned and so are harder to break the next time.

There is also a reply by Dr Eskapa in this thread that would be worth you reading Misssy.

It is absolutely an individual decision for everyone on TSM to make.  For me personally, I considered it but decided against it as I never, ever, ever want to even remotely risk going backwards to where I was before.  But everyone is individual and Rayboy has unique reasons for considering it.

If all things are equal and there are no reasons why someone shouldn't keep taking the tablet as they safely drink, then that is what they should do if they want to be 100% assured that they can drink safely.

• Posted

Let me make this clear. If I could have continued on Nalmefene ( Selincro ) I would have done so. I am very disappointed that I could not continue taking it. I would also have gone over to Naltexone after my test was okay but due to my increased requirement of analgesics and anti inflamatories over the past few weeks that has not been possible. So I have to see how I go as I am doing. If you know the science of the way the drug acts you will know that it does not change your brain in that way. You have to continue on the drug to block the reward. 
    • Posted

Since I am still in early recovery, I may have misunderstood your message.

It seemed to me you were in turmoil over making a "choice" to take the pill or not because you weren't enjoying drinks anymore...and wanted to with friends from time to time.  And you were questioning yourself as to if you needed the pill anymore and I responded according to that.

It seems something has changed with your health and now you CANT take the pill and you seem upset about that now right?  And I see Joanna said that even if you were able to take it and decided to stop...it may not work again if you wanted to return to it anyway.

I hope you find what works best for you because it is a vicious cycle for many and when I say vicious I definitely mean evil cycle.  And I don't think many "alcoholics" are immune to the progression of the alcoholic condition.  So find what works for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.