Serious depression on day three

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi guys I'm suffering serious depression and anxiety due to alcohol withdrawal.

Up to this week I have been drinking four litres of whiskey a week minimum and that's not including nights out. 

Just joined the forum and wanting to find likeminded people in the same boat as myself and get some advice

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well done on getting to day three. Me also. What symptoms have you experienced? 

Instead of feeling depressed why not try feeling proud that you're three days in and you've acknowledge you have a problem?

• Posted

Very true Vicky I am proud and have a new found determination to succeed now after so many failed attempts. Are you using any methods to curb the urge to drink 
    • Posted

To be honest... I got a cold which inhibited me drinking and kicked off the withdrawal process but I didn't realise how dangerous cold turkey actually was. I'm going to my GP in the morning as my sweating is out of control and my BPM is 110 even when I'm not moving about! 

So far I've just been drinking litres and litres of water and lucozade. How about you? Any side effects/advise? 

• Posted

Hi Vicky 

hope you are well. Valium and Gatorade along with meal shakes are what I'm taking. Still struggling hard with dts anxiety and lack of sleep but definitely get some Valium 

• Posted

Wow well first of all well done for hitting day 3 of sobriety.  That is a hell of a lot of whisky to be drinking. You say you’re withdrawing.. are you doing this under doctor supervision? 

What meds are you taking? I’ve managed Day 3 ... 3 times now, this is my forever day 3, I’ll never drink again, I can say that in full confidence because If I drink again I’ll probably die very quickly afterwards and that is definitely not going to happen to me.

Day 3 I remember well, it’s still not sleeping, feeling anxious, still leaning over to pick up the drink that is usually perched beside you. It’s boring and emotional and strange. I’m not going to lie, the sleep thing is the last thing that gets back on track.. I’m 2 years sober and still have strange sleep behaviour.

I know it’s difficult but try not to obsess about being depressed.. focus on the good you are doing for yourself. You’re saving your life.. it’s huge, be proud of yourself. If you have kids think about the extra years they are gaining by you doing this.

I’m not one for taking pills personally but if you do, speak to your doctor about getting some short term sleeping pills. 

If you are able, be more active, go to the gym, go for a run, wear yourself out before bed, don’t take any stimulants.. tea coffee etc

If you are going to AA try and get to an evening meeting.. every day if you can initially, I always used to leave a meeting feeling quite good about myself.

Stay in here and talk to people , you will see bits of yourself in most people’s stories 

Good luck, you are doing fantastic.. keep it up x

• Posted

What a great reply Chantelle! Well done for2 years sober. Robin
    • Posted

Thank you Chantelle,

I'm currently taking Valium to stop anxiety but It doesn't seem to be working. I got a few hrs sleep last night but was in the horrors. 

The main reason I'm stopping drinking is because I've started to realise that everyone can see that I'm an alcoholic except me. The withdrawals I'm going through physically and mentally are scary and a real eye opener

• Posted

You've made a start and should be proud of yourself! That's a lot of whisky - I was getting through half a litre a day most days. I even drank it while eating and there was always a glass available when I was outside. I found counting the consecutive sober days helped but had to start again usually. BUT, it can be done! I'm 10 years, 10 months and 25 days sober now and still counting. I still get tempted at times but the thought of going back to zero has stopped me so far. I was lucky to be able to manage without medication etc, but I've read that there are successful treatments. You can do this. I have had a lot of support from this site when I've wanted to have a small drink, just to see if I could stop at one. The advice was always DON'T! 

• Posted

thanks John I know that the longer I go the more I will lose by drinking, congrats on the ten year mark. Did Ye quit cold turkey ? 
    • Posted

Yes. I suddenly decided I didn't want any more and threw what was in my glass out the window. No planning ahead for the big day, it just was a spur of the moment thing. I enjoyed the lack of hangovers and appreciated my food, ?I became more tolerant and nicer to people, especially to my long suffering wife. No withdrawal symptoms. But stopping suddenly can be dangerous I've read, so best to talk to your doctor I think. Good luck. You will get lots of support here. 

• Posted

Hi there cormac well done keep going, I haven't managed a day yet it's not an excuse but I have a huge amount of stress at the moment. I have a doctor's appointments in 2 weeks and go to talk to her about the Sinclair method there have been lots of people on this forum who have used it with great success. Have a look it seems to have a different approach with use of meds good luck

• Posted

I'm the same biker jools, 2 court appearances over next month drinking and fighting. The anxiety at the minute is terrible especially with these hanging over me. Maybe I've picked the wrong time to stop. When is the right time though.... 

• Posted

Still sober Cormac? Just checking. Weekends are tempting and time off work 😁

• Posted

Sinclair Method sure is great Robin and I would highly recommend it to anyone struggling with alcohol.Hope you are ok and enjoying life ! 😁

• Posted

Thanks Nat. Had a great Xmas. Pantomime with my family was great but VERYrude with the 2 fat blokes in womens' dresses. Celebrated 5years sober 31st Dec.

• Posted

Many congrats Robin on 5 years sober , a wonderful achievment , you must be so proud of yourself ! Ha ha pantomimes are great , you made me laugh about the 2 fat blokes .I bet you all had a ball. Must have been Cinderella . 😂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.