Seriously addicted to co-codamol 30/500 HELP

Posted , 20 users are following.

I need help, this is the first time I've ever written this out.

I am addicted to codeine. My secret, the one I've kept for nearly ten years. I've had a repeat prescription of co-codamol £224 which I get every 3 weeks and then I buy the otc codeine if and when I run out.

On Wednesday I went to my doctors and for the first time he asked me about my prescription and why was I taking it (initially for my arm a long long time ago) he said that I should go on tramadol instead and I insisted that I had to stay on co-codamol. He didn't push it even tho inside I wanted him to push it

.. When is it going to end? I've even tried cutting it down by purchasing those weekly pill tubs and putting them in there so I can see how many I have left. Without them I am anxious and stressed and I can't fuction in my life. But they are the evil in my life and I don't know how to go about stopping it.

What is easiest? Going cold Turkey? Cutting them down? I really need advice.

I know people will say go back to the doctors but I really don't want too, I'm too ashamed I just want to sort this out on my own. Thank you for anyone who reads this

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I finally managed to get myself off co-codamol at the end of December 2014.

I'd tried cold turkeying it in the past, but withdrawal symptoms were pretty bad and I'd always go back to it. This time though, I gradually tapered the dose down over several weeks (it really doesn't matter how long you take, you should make your own reduction plan) until I got down to one 30/500mg tablet every other day, then every 2 days and so on until I got to 3 days and felt able to cope. I still had some withdrawal symptoms when I went from one level to the next and, although they weren't insurmountable, I actually think if I'd taken slightly longer to taper down, they would have been easier to deal with.

I can't tell you how much better I feel for being off this horrendous medication in all sorts of ways.

Do you think you could try coming off it the same way I did?

Roz

• Posted

Hi

I'm pretty sure if in UK anyway that you can self refer to drug treatment programmes on nhs so no need to involve gp but in being honest with yourself your better speaking to doctor so they can stop your supply as in desperate times its an easy thing to go back too. I know you say it's not a good idea as you work in health profession but I'm sure you wouldn't be punished for your addiction. There are laws and guidelines around these things where if you are seeking help then no displinary action can be take unless you have broken the law with you addiction. I see all the talking about tapering and cold turkey but be honest with yourself can you trust yourself if doctor gave you a prescription with 100 codeine on it for a complaint you had as he wouldn't know you have an issue if you havent been honest With them. Also after taking such large amounts of paracetamol you really should have liver function tests to rule out long term damage. Everyone has their own route but your profession shouldn't dictate your health options and your in the profession that would understand the most.

• Posted

Hi Hope, I feel for you I realy do. My advice to you is in my very humble opinion, and it all depends on wether you have the will power and inner strenght is to go cold turkey. Its will be very very hard for you but for gods sake and yours do not take the next step up and go onto Tramadol you will end up in a worse situation than now.

Please please look to what is in your head its all there your will power etc, you can beat anything and I do mean anything with inner strenght, I have proved it can be done.

Cold turkey is tremendously hard and traumatic but each day gets a little better, I hope this helps, I will look out for your replys and wish you all the luck in the world.

• Posted

Hi Hope, I have just read through quite a few of the blogs, all of them right depending on who wrote them, but a realy important point for you which was the same for me and why I did it cold turkey was, I have a drug test evry year.

If I had tried to come off CC with my GPs help it would have been on my medicle record that I had a drug dependancy and would have definatly lost my job.

I have a medicle every year with a test even if the test was clear my medicle record would have been enough to loose my job so you can see why I say cold turkey if it saves your career, once again good luck. 

• Posted

Hi Steve

Yes I would certainly be investigated by the Health Professions Council as I take more codeine than is prescribed. My saliva and urine would both test positive for Morphine whilst I am working, even though physically and mentally my performance to treat patients isn't affected. I am tapering my dose myself. Fingers crossed I will be free of this drug soon.

• Posted

Hi Steve have you done cold Turkey? I have tried so many times to do this but fail. The doctor I saw today said that it's like a heroin addict trying to get off with no help, the doses I am on are extreme, prescribed codeine of up to 30 pills a day on a bad day. I am unable to go cold Turkey even tho I've tried really hard.
  • Posted

HI there

I was addicted to the 30/500 co-codamol and finally got admitted to a&e for an overdose.  They did all the liver function tests etc and I was lucky in that there was no organ damage but I would definitely re-emphasise another poster's comment that you should get these tests done for your liver, kidneys etc

Going cold turkey for me was a trauamatic experience, it lasted 4 weeks and I had flu like aches and pains, a terrible headache, nausea, diarhea, shivers etc etc.  However, it WAS worth it. That was in Novemeber of last year and I am now totally free of codeine and feel like a new woman, both menatlly and physically.  I know its different for everyone, but if you've got the courage and will power, I'd definitley recomend cold turkey.

Unlike you. I'm retired so have no employer concerns about it appearing on my records, but again, as soemone else said, you have done nothing illegal and this shouldn't lead to dismissal, if it did I'd reckon you'd have a very strong case at an industrial tribunal.

I hope things are working out for you and know that I'm following your thread and thinking of you in your struggle

xxxxx

p.s.,  I wouldn't touch the tramadol as I've heard withdrawal from that is even worse than codeine.

• Posted

Is there a drug support service near you, like a charity not run by the NHS, maybe somewhere local authority funded? Also your doctor cannot tell your employer about the addiction, you have the same right to confidentiality as anyone else. Having a dependency does not necessarily mean you are a risk in the work place.

I would write to the GP, explain in writing how it is and the help you want, it's easier that way. It's hard to explain in a short consultation xx

• Posted

I know this is a kind of old post but i just wanted to say i too have been addicted to co codmaol . I first started taking them 6 years ago i cut the top off my finger while at work and had to have surgery to re-attatch it , anyway i was given them as pain relief after the surgery . At first i was taking the normal dose and stopped. A year later i started to get cluster headaches and the doctor started prescribing me 30/500s 100 at a time to last a month. This went on for 2-3 years and then one day while seeing my doctor he decided that i wad going to be cut down to the 8/500s and put on also on amytriptiline the headaches were daily at this point (medication overuse headache) but it all went downhill from there . The 8/500s were not touching the pain so i started taking 3 at a time instead of 2. At this point id had 2 of my 4 children while taking them everyday thank god my children were born healthy and fine . Had my 3rd child and she was also healthy . Then in 2013 things got bad the headaches increased so i started taking 3 x 8/500s 5 times a day when i look back the buzz wad amazing but never lasted hence the increase. I also then found nurofen plus so started taking 2 x. 4 times a day . I would use up my prescription within a week and a half so then have to travel round different chemists to buy over the counter co codamol it was a vicious circle a box of 32 would last me 2 days . I then got pregnant with my 4th baby and stopped the nurofen plus but couldnt function with the co codamol , i was sick at this point of the same headache id had everday for years and the day she was born thankfully perfectly healthy just tiny due to other m
    • Posted

Other medication i was taking . I went cold turkey i dont think i noticed any withdrawal effects due to being so busy with a newborn baby . My headaches stopped a week later , i had energy again and i felt fantastic had not felt so great in years . I did have a few days here and there where i was so tempted to go to the chemist and buy a box but i never did . I recently got sciatic nerve pain and my doctor prescribed me 8/500s . I have taken 4 out of the 32 he has prescribed me and wont take anymore as they make me feel sick and generally down in the dumps. If you can go cold turkey i would but if you are taking the 30/500s it may be more hard saying that i went from 16 a day to none and felt nothing but like i said that could be due to being so busy with a newborn and 3 other children i didnt have time to notice or dwell.
    • Posted

Id also like to add that ive had liver blood tests and function tests due to problems and i guess i have been lucky as my liver is in perfect working order and i have no damage. I wish u all the best ive been free of my addiction for 10 months now and its totally do able. Good luck and i hope my story helps. X
  • Posted

Hi everyone I've now been increased to 40mg methadone and I'm feeling really good. Still using codeine but they have said by next week I will feel less needy when ive increased to maximum dose. I feel tired in the evening but apart from that I've felt really good

The doctor at the drugs centre has asked whether I have GAD generalised anxiety disorder?? I had never heard of it before. But I'm just taking one hour by hour as it goes x

• Posted

Thanks to this forum and the replies I did what I never thought possible, I rang my local drugs centre and met an amazing doctor a who explained the difference between methadone and subutex in the initial detox and so 10 days ago I went from 30 x 30mg codeine a day to lowering it day by day and yesterday I had NONE! NO CODEINE!! I still cant believe it. The side effects are feeling really sleepy after taking it and an itchy face but nothing I can't cope with.

I'm on my way to a better life. I hope so, anyway x

• Posted

Hope this is ok, I was prescribed cocodomol 30/500 for bad back by my GP who just said these are harmless just ring up and get as many as I want. My back was in a bad way but just prescribed painkillers until I got to OxyContin which are evil.

I got a buzz off these as well so in the end would run out of my script before it was due by then I'd decided I'd had enough being dependant and told my new GP AS ID MOVEd , thought it was the sensible option and get on some kind of detox. BIG MISTAKE. She started shouting at me calling me a junkie etc , to say I was shocked was an understatement she then insisted she had experience of detox and then started taking the dose down 30mg every week which was vicious and I was sick all the time so I found my local detox scheme and self referred. If I had been in a fit state of mind if have sued my GP and the NHS to get her struck off but too late now. The detox scheme even suggested I report her but u know I wasn't well so didn't. But on Subatex now feel much better very clear headed not fuzzy , methadone I hear is awful and is a nightmare to get off. So good luck all.

• Posted

Hi,

I am an addict and have been for a long time like your self. I moved on to tramadol and dihydrocodine and I am a serious addict to the point if I had 30/500 co-codamol I would take 30-40 in less than two minuets as I have done. I recommend speaking to your doctor about your addiction as that is what I did, I am now on a detox and down to 6 dihydrocodeine per day all taken at once mind you but that is good for me and I am getting referred to cope sycologicaly as well.

Hope this helps you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.