Seriously addicted to co-codamol 30/500 HELP

Posted , 20 users are following.

I need help, this is the first time I've ever written this out.

I am addicted to codeine. My secret, the one I've kept for nearly ten years. I've had a repeat prescription of co-codamol £224 which I get every 3 weeks and then I buy the otc codeine if and when I run out.

On Wednesday I went to my doctors and for the first time he asked me about my prescription and why was I taking it (initially for my arm a long long time ago) he said that I should go on tramadol instead and I insisted that I had to stay on co-codamol. He didn't push it even tho inside I wanted him to push it

.. When is it going to end? I've even tried cutting it down by purchasing those weekly pill tubs and putting them in there so I can see how many I have left. Without them I am anxious and stressed and I can't fuction in my life. But they are the evil in my life and I don't know how to go about stopping it.

What is easiest? Going cold Turkey? Cutting them down? I really need advice.

I know people will say go back to the doctors but I really don't want too, I'm too ashamed I just want to sort this out on my own. Thank you for anyone who reads this

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sorry if my post was blunt not all of your post was showing on my screen I only saw this after I replied I am new sorryx
  • Posted

It's so sad reading all this, from so many different people too... I came here looking for what I can take with a mixture of pills for pain (only for a few days)... Then I read all this rolleyes I hope you get there Hopefirst, you seem to be doing so well, I hope it gets easier and easier for you xx
  • Posted

How many do you take each day. Do you take them all at once or do you take 10 three times a day for example?
  • Posted

I need help to, I started with 2x 30/500 for back pain but I found they helped me relax. 3 years later I take 5 x 30/500 3 times a day and it is scaring me, I feel so ashamed, I want help but I don't like talking to my doctor. I know I'm hooked & im really worried it will get worse- what can I do, can someone please point me the right direction. Thank u
    • Posted

Hi there... just read your post louise56872 and thought I'd say hi as I feel I'm in a similar position somewhat. Never been prescribed pain relief but but OTC 30/500 and have been taking quite a few per day on and off over the years due to being addicted to the feeling of calm they give me and sense of relaxation. I'm at a point though where I'm really concerned about the effects they are having on my liver so am wondering if you or anyone else reading this who are taking quite regular large doses are also concerned about this and if you have had tests etc done what were the results. I want to see the doc to go for tests but am scared as to what they may find - I've got two young children who are my world so for their sake I need to keep living healthily!
    • Posted

I meant to say I buy OTC 15/500!
    • Posted

Hi Nmp,

I seen your post and I can relate to you 100%. I am on day 7 of going cold turkey and I can tell you it is hard but so worth it.

I was taking roughly 32 neurofen plus a day which is about 400mg a day.... I came down with the flu and decided I was going to stop. So I had the flu and withdrawals

Day 1 and 2 I felt so irritable, diorhea, sweats, restless leg syndrome etc.

Day 3 and 4 were my worst days, I felt naucious all day and then threw up all night from 9pm - 5am. You do not realise how long the night is until you cannot sleep. I didn't feel any cravings while this was going on instead I developed a hatred for the pills, all the time I was going through withdrawal I had 24 staring at me from across the room but I knew I was strong enough to do this and so are you! You have to do it, if not for yourself, for your family.... As you rightly said you do not know what kind of damage the toxins are doing to your body!

I'm on day 7 now and I am finally starting to see the light, I can function again and am feeling more and more positive.

To reiterate its hard but our body's are amazing and so are you! We will become 'normal' again. I look forward to all the drinking I can do with friends and the days out I'm going to go on because I'm off these almost tranquilliser like pills.

I'm here, ask me anything about my withdrawal process and I will let you know everything (it can vary but everyone's ultimately the same).

We can do this....

Sweatz

• Posted

Hiya new to this forum just signed up today. Iv been addicted to codine for over 10 years hitting them a lot more harder the past 4 years I kept it a secret for so long only a few people clicked my parter being one of them so I decided to go cold turkey and it was probably the worst week of my life I experienced things I did not know was possible my limbs would seize up sweating paranoid I did not sleep and about three days I'm was just an emotional wreck as I was going thro it I broke down many times it was the feeling of guilt as In what am I doing to my body my family and my parter. They were literally ruining my life these small tablets were ruining my life.

Going cold turkey is probably not the best thing as it is so dangerous it was probably the hardest thing iv ever done mabey cut down each day. Hope this has helped a bit Iv put of so long signing up to one of these sites your not alone. Thank-you

• Posted

Hi i worked in tbe addictions field as a pratitioner for over 20 years going cold turkey requires planning and emotional support to deal with the psychological issues relating to your addiction. Planning a reduction in your use also with emotional support helps combat the many mind games you will ponder along the way. If you can confide in people you trust tell them what you are planning to do and ask for for their support. If you do decide to go cold turkey eat healthy foods and plenty of liquids non alcoholic of course. Depedent on age and health particularly any underlying health conditions you may have to speak to a gp for advice rather than goin it alone.

Getting off or cold turkey can last 7 to 10 days physically for the more pronounced symptoms such as sweats sleeplessness irritability nausea stomach cramps etc then Then are the psychological association with your use, the frequency, the routine ie times of day, places associated with your use when you are more prone to taking the medication. The psychological impact can effect you much longer which will require emtional support and possibly couselling All your daily associtions with the use of your medication need to be changed ie your daily routines and asociations. Keep talking,keep busy and be more healthy. Set yourself realistic goals and remember use what supports you can put in place to help you throught the cessation process keep talking about the way you feel . There is a wealth of info available on the web or talk to a voluntary substance misuse service for support that wont be linked to your medical records . Keep thinking positive you can do this and good luck you can do it!

• Posted

Hi Hopefirst.

You are in the first stages of making a change. You have admitted to yourself you have a issue and that you need to deal with it. The next part is a hard one, you yourself need to decide if you want to go cold turkey and suffer withdrawals or if you have it in you to taper down and suffer less.

I am in week 7 of tapering down, i wont bore you with all the ins and outs but none of my family know i have an addiction with codeine and i wanted to be able to function properly so i decided to taper down gradually. I have had a few withdrawals such as anxiety and irriable legs (which is so uncomfortable) but other than that i have manged to wean myself from 18-20 tabs a day down to 3 all in space of 7 weeks. It has been a mental struggle but i believe everyone gets to that stage where they have had enough and want a codeine free life. 

I believe it is personal choice, if you want to a can make time to go cold turkey. cold turkey is the quickest option or if you want to take it at your own pace, function properly and hide it form people tapering is a good choice. Which ever choice you make keep us up to date and if you ever need any advice or tips come on here this site has truly helped me more than i ever thought it would. Sometimes all you need is a good rant to those in similar situation someone who can relate to you and you will find that on here.

Good luck with which ever path you choose. x

• Posted

Dear hopefirst

I am no physician but have a load of eperience with codeine. I that think your physician recommending co-codomol is highly dubious.The paracetomol destroys the liver, worse than drinking does.

Cold Turkey - be prepared for a lock down of 10 days. It won't hit you all at once but there will be times that the addiction will make your life absolute hell. I have experienced this and I am not strong enough for cold turkey. But, it is a cycle and it does pass.

Codeine didn't work for me so I'm on  program of subutex and I know what I'm letting myself in for. Subutexx, for me, takes my mind completely off any desire to buy my poison. My subutex is being medically controlled and reduced. It has a very long half life, is very strong, so the last tapers will be tiny amounts until I can jump.

Stopping begins with a mind set which yo have. Go and tell your doctor that you are addicted to over the counter painkillers - at the very least, he should precsribe you with codeine phosphate. These will not give ou the buzz which makes me wonder what else is in these tablets. If you experience obstruction, go somewhere else - it is a mental as well as physical illness and you can at least work out a tapering plan off from the codeine. Make it slow.

Codeine is nasty, but the stuff they use to bulk it out causes 20 x highter risk of a heart attack (I've had one of those). It affects the kineys, liver and pancreas. I've written 62,000 words in a blog / diary / feelings. I started 3 months ago and I still buy the odd box knowing I can't pick up my subutex until the next day.

Too much to write here, but you have my full support. I've been told that alcohol is harder to quit and I don't drink, but that's another story!

Best regards,

Rich

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.